Look what I found a pair of Costa Caballito Sun Glasses

Options
gudnoyez
gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
edited February 2019 in The Clubhouse
I now kinda know that Costa is a well talked about brand of Polarized Glasses for fishing enthusiasts, but do they really fetch $150-$229?
eawfpyalrph9.jpg
7byscpd7micx.jpg
While cutting the Ice fishing trip short because of a Super Bowl fish fry while pulling my sled back to shore off in the distance I spied a pair of these on the frozen slab of ice. Thinking ok a pair of glasses looking on line these cost a bit of coin. I bet someone must be bumming out when they got home. Are Costa that good of a brand?

Home Theater
Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)

Comments

• NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,815
    Options
    Great glasses for fishing I also use to wear a pair when I ice fished in MN..great glare cutters...there are lots of great glasses out there but these do cost a bit of coin and well worth it IMHO and 40 years on the water fishing....I'll take em over Maui Jims any day...…….
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    I have 1/2 dozen pair of Costa’s

Different lens and frames for different conditions on the water and hunting

Yeah the guy is bummed
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,576
    Options
    My eyeglasses I wear everyday are polarized and turn dark in sunlight. If you wear prescription eyeglasses you owe to yourself to make them polarized as well.

I have no idea about those as they're some awful pricey aftermarket sunglasses out there that in my opinion are way overpriced. Many polarized glasses on the market will not pass the polarization test. That test is take two lenses and put them together and turn one 90° you should not be able to see anything through those lenses at that time. If you see light or anything except black darkness the polarization is very weak.

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    One of my old fishing buddies is an optometrist

He confirmed that at the very least my Costa’s I was wearing that day were polarized

And yes you are correct Ivan there are a lot of frauds out there in sunglass world

There is only 7 manufactures of sunglasses out there

Brands are OEMs from those factories
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,205
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    I have 1/2 dozen pair of Costa’s

Different lens and frames for different conditions on the water and hunting
    Do you have whatever lens is required to find @ken brydson ?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,576
    Options

He confirmed that at the very least my Costa’s I was wearing that day were polarized

And yes you are correct Ivan there are a lot of frauds out there in sunglass world

Luxottica probably owns 95% of them. An Italian monopoly for sure. Ray ban and Oakley didn't play their game and refused to be bought buy them, so they crushed them and bought them for pennies on the dollar. They own it all from the Lenscrafters and other companies to the eye insurance everyone uses. A complete monopoly top to bottom. 60 minutes had a great news story on them.

http://www.luxottica.com/en/eyewear-brands
  • krazypolk
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Luxottica probably owns 95% of them. An Italian monopoly for sure. Ray ban and Oakley didn't play their game and refused to be bought buy them, so they crushed them and bought them for pennies on the dollar. They own it all from the Lenscrafters and other companies to the eye insurance everyone uses. A complete monopoly top to bottom. 60 minutes had a great news story on them.

http://www.luxottica.com/en/eyewear-brands

60 minutes? That's fake news.
  • gudnoyez
    Options
    https://www.costadelmar.com/us/en/voyager/caballito/CL.html
    Lucky find for sure these are the ones. I just ordered the Costa keepers and a hard case for them, nice find for sure. The guys I was with took the short cut back to the truck I crossed the lake and it paid dividends B)
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    Own a few pair of Costa. Love them. Only sunglasses I wear. Well worth the $180.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,876
    Options
    I lost a pair the other day. Where abouts do you live again?
  • gudnoyez
    Options
    Willow wrote: »

And at your posting time I can see you have been losing sleep, describe them please.
    Home Theater

2 Channel

Stuff for the Head

• Willow
    Options
    gudnoyez wrote: »

And at your posting time I can see you have been losing sleep, describe them please.

You do realize I'm just buggin' I don't ice fish and You can bet we are not even close geographically.
  • gudnoyez
    Options

You do realize I'm just buggin' I don't ice fish and You can bet we are not even close geographically.

I do realize that it would be pretty easy to describe them with pictures and a link to thier site. :D
    Home Theater

2 Channel

Stuff for the Head

• Willow
    Options

I do realize that it would be pretty easy to describe them with pictures and a link to thier site. :D

I was going to mention that too but didn't want to in case you thought I was serious about having lost a pair.