If you like horns...

This is a surprisingly clear explanation of how horns work. I don't know how accurate it is but it helped me understand the concept

.world's largest horn shatters glass
HT: Marantz NR-1603, Oppo 981, Def Tech SM55, SVS PB-1000
BR: iPad Mini, Audio Engine A5+
2C: Parasound ZDAC V.2, Sony DA80ES, Sony XDR-F1HD, SVS Prime Tower, JSE .6 Infinite Slope
Office: MBAir, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, JBL LSR-308
Projects: Polk RTA12, Polk Monitor 7, Revox B225CD, BIC 3-TM

Comments

• OK, so it's obvious I'm inept at attaching links from Youtube, Let the laughter begin. But if you try that phrase in Youtube you should find it

HT: Marantz NR-1603, Oppo 981, Def Tech SM55, SVS PB-1000
    BR: iPad Mini, Audio Engine A5+
    2C: Parasound ZDAC V.2, Sony DA80ES, Sony XDR-F1HD, SVS Prime Tower, JSE .6 Infinite Slope
    Office: MBAir, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, JBL LSR-308
    Projects: Polk RTA12, Polk Monitor 7, Revox B225CD, BIC 3-TM
  • agfrostagfrost Posts: 2,251
    w9h1v2azarcs.gif

vzz39btpnnmj.gif

Apologies, your post led me to this place...

Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Marantz DV-9500 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • agfrostagfrost Posts: 2,251
    Here's a hand with your link:

Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Marantz DV-9500 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 21,236
    I just went in a big circle. ;)

I reckon this is the YT video to which the OP was referrin'.

Horns are simple enough in principle, they're acoustic transformers (impedance matching devices).

In practice -- to make one that is well behaved across a broad range of frequencies... that's (still) a challenge!

:)
    edited February 1
    The red horn on that video isn't particularly large; there have been numerous "room sized" horns built for hifi over the years. Steve Deckert at Decware turned a basement into a bass horn --- and cracked the foundation due to a problem with standing waves or resonance in the process :)

Here's another 'crazy basement horn' (clickbait type of link, for which I apologize):
    https://gizmodo.com/horn-subwoofer-takes-up-crazy-mans-entire-basement-5025867

gqtkh02zezyb.png
    nk3zhswy1ddv.png

Nelson Pass's ironically named Kleinhorn (small horn auf Deutsch) is/was... well... moderately large. Probably about the same size as the one in the YT video, given the area of the mouth.

https://www.passdiy.com/project/speakers/the-kleinhorn-part-1

yccm0nu4ybgc.png

Those Lowther drivers are nominally 8 inches in diameter, to give a sense of scale (or you may notice a tt on the shelf).

the problem is that the speed of sound is fairly slow, so the wavelength of bass tones is pretty long. The wavelength of a 20 Hz sine wave (tone) is 56.5 feet.

Thus, if one wants to make a horn with good performance at low frequencies, one usually folds the horn (like the Kleinhorn above, or the famous Klipschorn folded corner horn).

Here's a straight 30 Hz (wavelength 37-2/3 feet) bass horn (well, a pair of 'em, by the looks of it).
    http://vincent.brient.free.fr/bass_horn.htm

r43t7e6iv2ck.png
    edited February 1
    As Lt. Columbo would have said...

lxh7nos313c0.png

any discussion of horns is incomplete without...

w6zrbhl8ng5h.png

The Chrysler air raid siren.
    p1961bph90ya.png

"Yeah, it's got a Hemi in it."

vve92x2bmytj.png

n0cn84zmwuuf.png

rivoe1awq017.png

Oh.
    And.
    To shatter a glass, you don't need a Horn(e), or even a Bassey.
    Just a Fitzgerald.
    Or a Memorex.

B)

• BlueBirdMusicBlueBirdMusic Registered User Posts: 408
    mhardy6647
    I love these horn postings.
    edited February 2
    Cool.
    I of course, am being completely ironic, posting that stuff.
    I mean, who could bear to listen to them old things?!

ahem.