WTB - SDA 3.1 front grills

DollarDave
DollarDave Posts: 2,575
edited January 2019 in Wanted (WTB) Classifieds
As long as the wood frame is in decent shape, I need them.

I'm at the final stages of as complete restoration and this is what is left. I have fabricated the side panels, so I don't need/want those.

Please PM me with inquiries.

Comments

• DollarDave
    IF someone can send me the measurements and a sketch, I can make them..
  • JayMX
    JayMX Posts: 434
    I just acquired a pair of 3.1's - I can measure and sketch for you. I believe they're made of 1/2" MDF vs the 3/4" that the bigger SDA grilles are made of. I was actually surprised by how light they were in comparison. I'll see if I can get something for you later this week.
    Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.
  • DollarDave
    Thank you very much!
  • DollarDave
    Do you think I could make these out of some Sheetrock that I have and just use some black paint. Where would I buy black paint?
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    I made a set for my 3.1's as the originals were trashed. I used 3/4"x4" Poplar for the frames. Had to plain the material down to 9/16" I believe, after cutting out all the pieces, I glued and screwed them together.

ancb1witnwku.jpg
    hy797w3jts1d.jpg

• DollarDave
    edited February 2019
    Ok so much for Sheetrock, I guess I’ll have to go my wood rack and grab my surplus of poplar and get to planing and shaping
  • DollarDave
    JayMX wrote: »
    I just acquired a pair of 3.1's - I can measure and sketch for you. I believe they're made of 1/2" MDF vs the 3/4" that the bigger SDA grilles are made of. I was actually surprised by how light they were in comparison. I'll see if I can get something for you later this week.

Did you get a chance to measure yours up? Perhaps, it would work to lay paper on the back and trace them? That way, I would get the grill pin holes in the exact place.

• JayMX
    DollarDave wrote: »

Did you get a chance to measure yours up?

Ha! I am so sorry! I completely spaced this. I will take some time tonight and make some measurements and send them over! Thank you for the reminder. :D
    Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.
  • JayMX
    edited March 2019
    Here you go @DollarDave - don't hold me to the accuracy of the measurements haha.
    One thing to note, the grilles are made of 1/2" MDF and the factory routed the edges with a 1/2" roundover bit. All of the inner edges and outer sides of the grilles are rounded off. The faces of the grilles that touch the fronts of the speakers are flat, the areas that the grille cloth wraps around are rounded.

Also, I forgot to note that the width of the perimeter members (tops and sides) is ~1 1/4”. And, the measurements between holes are center-to-center.

imhv42gg1cxv.png

I snapped a quick photo of one of the grilles for you as well. The drawing program I was using is cheesy so I exaggerated things a little on the drawing. The photo should give you a little more reference. I recommend that you get a big piece of cardboard and mock one up before you actually start cutting your wood. Good luck with the build. Post some pics when you are done! Love to see the finished work!
    cjoxxtejoqje.jpeg

Post edited by JayMX on
  • DollarDave
    This is far beyond what I expected! Thank you very much!
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    Nice job @JayMX. This will help many owners of 3.1TL's.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • ddog
    ddog Posts: 230
    What are you guys doing for replacing broken clips?

I've figured out a clean way to make it so the grills are held on magically but wasn't sure if I should stick with the clips if they are available?
  • DollarDave
    ddog wrote: »
    What are you guys doing for replacing broken clips?

I've figured out a clean way to make it so the grills are held on magically but wasn't sure if I should stick with the clips if they are available?

I’m missing two clips. Would love to know about the magnet approach, too.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Parts express sell the pegs. I bought some for my SDA1 signatures. The old peg christmas trees are a bear to get out so be forewarned.

https://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-heavy-duty-speaker-grill-guides-12-pair--260-367
  • ddog
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Parts express sell the pegs. I bought some for my SDA1 signatures. The old peg christmas trees are a bear to get out so be forewarned.

https://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-heavy-duty-speaker-grill-guides-12-pair--260-367

Hey thank you pitdogg...I appreciate this.
    Are these a direct fit for the 3.1's ?

I was thinking I'll drill them out... smaller size drill bit of course.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474

I do not know. I do know they fit my SDA1 just fine. Be very careful drilling they tend to spin. That will enlarge the hole as the Christmas tree end will act like a drill bit. I drilled two small holes to get needle nosed pliers into to walk it out. Others I pulled out like a nail with a hammer. Go slow is my best advice.
  • ddog

I do not know. I do know they fit my SDA1 just fine. Be very careful drilling they tend to spin. That will enlarge the hole as the Christmas tree end will act like a drill bit. I drilled two small holes to get needle nosed pliers into to walk it out. Others I pulled out like a nail with a hammer. Go slow is my best advice.

Ok thanks.
    I think I'm going bring these speakers into the 21st century and update the grills to magnetic mounting.
    It'll clean simple and I won't have to worry about breaking clips when I remove the grills.
    When I'm done I'll post up an how-to thread.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Be very careful drilling they tend to spin.
    Drills spin? I did not know that... learn something new every day.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson