Loaner preamp

Options
As luck would have it, I'll be shipping both of my preamps out tomorrow to for servicing. Great timing! This means I won't be able to use my system and keep logging hours on my new PMC speakers.

Simply wondering if anyone has a loaner preamp they'd be willing to let me use while my others are in the shop. Naturally I would cover shipping in both directions.

As several members here know, I am extremely meticulous about the condition of my gear. I actually dust all of my equipment, speakers, and rack with a soft microfiber towel before every use. Hopefully that shows you the care I take with it. You can rest assured that it will return to you in exactly the same condition it was sent in.

Comments

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    If you can get by with 2 line level inputs, a Schiit Sys may cost you less than shipping a loaner both ways. It's passive, but at the lower levels you seem to listen at, I doubt you'd have trouble getting sufficient volume.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    I was looking at the SYS last night. It would cost me $62 total with shipping & tax.

I guess the only downside to buying it would be that I would be stuck with it afterwards.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,037
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I was looking at the SYS last night. It would cost me $62 total with shipping & tax.

I guess the only downside to buying it would be that I would be stuck with it afterwards.

I'll bet you could find a home for it with only a nominal net cost to yourself :)

Sadly, there are preamps here, but they're all kind of suffeing from the Isle of Misfit Toys syndrome. I don't think any of them'd be satisfactory to you, otherwise I'd be happy to send one along.

r0nheqy8qkqe.png
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,513
    Options
    If you buy the SYS, I’d buy it from you when you’re finished with it.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Oh cool, thanks! Let me check in with Dr. Skipperton III, Esq. first but that sounds like a plan.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options

I find all kind of uses for mine. I'll frequently set up a temporary system in my shop using whatever extra speakers or amps I have combined with the SYS, a DAC & CCA. It's currently serving duty in the bedroom system. Found it's way in there because the pre I was using started acting wonky. Turns out the pre-amp is fine, but it sounds nice enough that I haven't bothered to swap it out yet. The only real downside is even wide open, it will not allow most source components to push an amp to full power. Rarely an issue unless you're in full time rock-out mode.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    He is a doctor of fine Italian Audioogy.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    I've got a Rotel RC-1580 that you are welcome to use. Let me know brother!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    Options
    I've got a couple of Adcoms pre amps, in the storage area but nothing like Skip could offer you.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    I also have a Sys if you want to borrow it. Even has fancy squishy feet on it and everything.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Hey thanks a lot! That might be the most economical option!

Still waiting to hear back from what Skip's got in his pants.. er uh, in his fun bags.. crap, I mean up his sleeve.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I’ve got a Harman Kardon Signature 2.0 I could loan out.

Even w original box and packaging (though I’d firm it up lol).

It would be shipping from Indianapolis
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Clipdat
    Options
    So I was thinking about this today (and my buddy Scott @msg also brought it up), I have a Schiit Asgard 2 headphone amplifier that has a "pre out" on the back of it that's controlled by the volume knob on the front. I've never tried this particular function of it before, so I will give it a go tomorrow and see how it works.

Asgard2-back-1920.jpg

Also, I'd like to sincerely thank everyone who commented with offers of loaner preamps, stuff like this is what makes our forum awesome.
  • joecoulson
    Options
    Glad you got it worked out. Was boxing up the stellar gain to ship out but oh well.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    So I was thinking about this today (and my buddy Scott @msg also brought it up), I have a Schiit Asgard 2 headphone amplifier that has a "pre out" on the back of it that's controlled by the volume knob on the front. I've never tried this particular function of it before, so I will give it a go tomorrow and see how it works.

Asgard2-back-1920.jpg

Also, I'd like to sincerely thank everyone who commented with offers of loaner preamps, stuff like this is what makes our forum awesome.

It certainly should. The only drawback I'd see (based on the photo) is that this Schiit gizmo only has one input (yes?). If so, you'll either have to add an outboard switchbox, stick with one source, or swap connections to change sources.

Of course, for all I know, maybe you only want/need/have one source for this particular application(?).

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options

Asgard2-back-1920.jpg

Another example of why CP is such a special place. Helping each other out in times of need. Hope everything works out for ya Drew!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Loaner pre amp ? Is that a pre amp sitting in a corner facing the wall....all alone ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,513
    Options
    “He was quiet. Kept to himself.”
  • tonyb
    Options
    maxward wrote: »
    “He was quiet. Kept to himself.”

Was a nice pre amp....until one day he picked up an axe and wiped out the whole system. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Clipdat
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I've got the Schiit Asgard 2 hooked up for preamp duty and apparently it doesn't switch off it's class A headphone amp circuitry when just doing preamp mode, because it's running hotter than a two dollar pistol as usual.

There is a slight hiss in the tweeter and a faint hum/buzz heard in the woofer with nothing playing. Probably just a side effect of the cheap transformer inside of it. I have the ground lift switch engaged on the Bryston, so I don't think it's a ground loop. Anyway, it's not audible with music playing so whatever.

Sound is adequate! It's a little brighter/hotter up top and less elegant and smooth all around, but it'll do for 3-4 weeks I suppose.
  • joecoulson
    Options
    Kudos to you for dealing with a less than ideal situation in stride.
    It will be worth it when the Backert comes back shiny.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    It's definitely a few notches down from what I'm accustomed to hearing from my system. I don't really find it that enjoyable to listen to, but oh well. Like you said, it'll just make the Backert sound that much better once I get it back.

Clearly it makes a better headphone amp than a preamp.

Maybe I should still consider giving @ZLTFUL's SYS a go. I feel like I'd probably enjoy that more.
  • tonyb
    Options
    I know Bob and the boys down at Backert labs will have that puppy like new in no time. Great bunch of people over there.

If I may ask, what needed servicing in the pre ? Isn't it fairly new ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Clipdat
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    I know Bob and the boys down at Backert labs will have that puppy like new in no time. Great bunch of people over there.

If I may ask, what needed servicing in the pre ? Isn't it fairly new ?

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/2475740/#Comment_2475740
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    Options
    PM sent to OP . . .
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Clipdat
    Options
    I just missed out on a Cambridge Audio Azur 851E preamp I was going to buy, by literally 2 minutes. It sold while I was on my way to work.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Clearly, your priorities are woefully misguided. Work'll be there later.

;)
  • joecoulson
    Options
    Would have been a great acquisition but alas, was not meant to be
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Well why can't I find another one for sale anywhere? Seems like they don't come up for sale too often, and it appears that they are no longer manufactured. Although the integrated in the same line still is: https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CA851A
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Maybe this is why Cambridge discontinued the 851E:

"The 840E's resistor/relay volume attenuation used under-spec'd (power/heat) resistors that result in a "runaway/shorting" volume level - complete with accompanying pops, crackles, and a hellish fear of our beloved hifi (amps/speakers)."