1 amp or 2

MexicoDan
MexicoDan Posts: 14
edited May 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Should I consider a seperate amp to run each db10 or one amp to run both? Positives, negatives? I'm getting the Eclipse 5444 HU and have an Eclipse amp going to Focal Comps in front and Infitiy 4's in back. I think I should run the back 4's off deck power so I can bridge the amp to get more to my Focals. Am I on the right track?
Post edited by MexicoDan on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2004
    I dont really like running rear speakers. It pulls your stage to the back and down and it can also smear detail by having music coming from too many source points at to many different distances. Some people like having surround sound music but Id rather have the detail and accuracy.

If youre going to run rear speakers Id highly recommend getting rid of the Infinitys. They are extremely bright and even tinny sounding on some music where the Focals are smooth and just awesome! Having the two extremes play at the same time might not be that good. Id recommend trying to get some 4"Focal mids only, with no tweets. This will match your front stage and the lack of highs will help to keep the image up front more. If you cant get the Focals, MB Quart makes some good ones and can be had on SoundDomain.com for $100 or so.

Im not that fond of bridging 4 channel amps. Bridging an amp will make a lot more power but it will also triple the distortion and while this isnt a proplem with running subs, the fronts, and especially the super accurate Focals will transmit that distortion easily. If youre running the Premium Eclipse amp then youre putting out 85 per channel which is plenty for the Focals. If youre running the Integrated amp then you might consider bi-amping instead. Focals crossovers arent set up to be bi-amped so youd have to run your front channels thru the crossover to the tweets and then run the rear channels to the mid bypassing the crossover and running full range (except for the 80 db hi pass fileter on the amp).

Im even less fond of using deck power for anything except holding you over til you buy an amp. Id say you should use your 4 channel to power your rears as well. Deck power is very dirty and has a ton of distortion.

As far as how many amps to use with your subs you should use one class D amp. I dont know how much power the DB10s are rated at but say they are rated at 200 rms then you should get a mono amp that puts out 200x1 at 4 ohms and 400x1 at 2 ohms. This MTX would work just dandy!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • MexicoDan
    MexicoDan Posts: 14
    edited May 2004
    Thanks MacLeod. Well I'm stuck for now with the Infinity's in the back, they are already in. Actually sounds pretty good, although I'm an infant in the SQ division.

My reason for wanting to bridge the amp is that my Focals ask for 85 RMS and I have the Eclipse 3422 which is only giving 50 each. I've read that prolonged use of this setup could ruin my Focals? It will be awhile before I can replace this amp.

I think I'm set on the amp then. Here's what I'm thinking...the db10's are rated at 350 RMS each. From what I've read and for the price, I'm looking at the Hifonics BX1500D or BX1000. The 1000 says it will give 700 at 2ohm. That's right on if the amp does what it says it can. The 1500 says 1000 at 2ohm, would this be too much?
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2004
    I've run 1 amp to 2 subs and 2 amps to 2 subs
    right now, im hella glad i have 2 amps because one of them died out, but i still have bass
    the 1 amp i had running both subs went out on me and i had no bass...
    so its kind of like having a back up
    if you go with 2 amps, theyre probably going to be 2 channel class AB amps, which are cleaner than mono class D amps
    but AB's will put more of a draw on your electrical system than class D amps
    I kind of like having 2 amps better--it looks cooler to have 2 amps:D
    but i will be going with 1 big amp for my next set of subs--only reasons why are price and space issues, other than that, id rather have 2 amps
    the 1000 will do fine, the 1500 will give you more head room so you wont have to push the amp so hard though and it might last a little longer since its not being pushed as hard
    both will do fine, so its really just your call
    if theres not more than a $50 difference, id get the 1500
    and yes Hifonics amps do their rated power
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2004
    50 rms will NOT hurt the Focals at all! Let me repeat that. 50 rms of clean power of which the Eclipse amp is giving you will NOT hurt the Focals!

Whoever told you that need to be slapped!

Underpowering a speaker can ruin it but that 50 rms is in no way underpowering. Now say if you were running a cheap head unit or a factory head unit putting out about 7 rms per channel then that would screw em up but 50 clean watts from that Eclipse is fine.

I emailed Focal once and asked how much power they recommend for the best sound quality in their Polyglass 6.5 components, they told me to go with 75. Youre almost there so I wouldnt sweat it.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited May 2004
    The only thing is to make SURE that it is clean power.. It is all to easy to turn that amp up to where it is clipping. This is why it will kill your speakers. So if you are a good tuner, you don't need to sweat it... make sure no distortion or clipping when you set the amp input levels.
    You could run 25wrms to them and not hurt them... it's all in how well you can tune you setings. The 50w-rms will be perfect, you may not even want that much. If you are used to running from the head unit (which is REALLY only 12-15w-rms) you may be blown away :D

-Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.