Monoprice Open Box Concerns

Options
zingo
zingo Posts: 11,258
edited January 2019 in The Clubhouse
I purchased a pair of M1060 headphones open box directly from Monoprice as I wanted to save a little money and was okay with some cosmetic imperfections or missing accessories per the disclaimer on the website, " Open Box merchandise are products that have been purchased and delivered to other customers, and then returned to Monoprice. Due to the varying quality of products returned, we make every attempt to supply the original accessories for Open Box products. However, Monoprice only guarantees that you will receive the product itself, accessories may or may not be included. Bear in mind that your open box product may not contain cables, adapters, manuals, CDs, drivers, etc. Additionally, the product may exhibit cosmetic imperfections as a result of its having been previously opened".

However, I also expected the headphones I ordered to work. When I received them and one side didn't work after multiple troubleshooting tests, including the wood housing being cracked where it attaches to the headband; the driver ultimately measured as an open circuit. I contacted customer service to get a replacement pair. The rep said that I could be provided one, but open boxed items are not guaranteed to operate as advertised, and if I wanted that, I needed to pay the additional money for the new in box product. He also offered to send me a replacement pair of open box headphones, but again could not guarantee them to operate as advertised. I asked him to process the replacement as a potentially working pair is better than the non-working pair I received, but as a previous monoprice customer, this experience is setting very poorly with me.

I can't believe their policy is open box items not guaranteed, even beyond the cosmetic disclaimer on the website? If so, what is the incentive to purchase open box products if they might not work at all and the replacement might also not work? I usually purchase open box items from many companies as they are a great value when guaranteed to be in good working order.

The box for the headphones had a tested sticker on it, but I assume that was from the factory new, not for the open box model?

Monoprice send me the return authorization and shipping label, and I emailed them back when I send it asking when the replacement pair was headed my way. The response back I received was "I have checked your RMA and it shows that we have not received yet the item. Once we received the item we will proceed your replacement request. Please know that returned and received items go through an inspection which could take up 7-10 business days to process. If you do not see your status changed by the 10th business day, then please reach out to us again to see if there are any updates." They inspect incoming products but not outgoing?!?

I emailed them back and asked how I got a broken pair if they are screened like that, and I was assured the new open box pair being sent would also be screened to be in good working order.

At this point, I'm considering just asking for a refund and moving on. I've been wanting to try the M1060 planar headphone, but all this is too much, and I really feel monoprice is being shady as I can't get a straight answer after four different customer service reps. I even emailed customer service the downloaded chat session with the first rep saying that open box items aren't guaranteed to work, but have heard no response.

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    zingo wrote: »
    However, I also expected the headphones I ordered to work. When I received them and one side didn't work after multiple troubleshooting tests, including the wood housing being cracked where it attaches to the headband; the driver ultimately measured as an open circuit.

Well, to be fair, you did order them from Monoprice...
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,036
    Options
    Monoprice has horrible customer service lately. Just awful.
  • zingo
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    However, I also expected the headphones I ordered to work. When I received them and one side didn't work after multiple troubleshooting tests, including the wood housing being cracked where it attaches to the headband; the driver ultimately measured as an open circuit.

Well, to be fair, you did order them from Monoprice...

Ha ha ha! I guess I should have expected as much. :p

Monoprice has horrible customer service lately. Just awful.

I've always had a great experience with them, but this purchase would be in line with that change.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Oh no, at least it didn't catch on fire! :smile: And, I almost forgot about my Monoprice tube amp experience! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,029
    Options
    verb wrote: »
    Oh no, at least it didn't catch on fire! :smile: And, I almost forgot about my Monoprice tube amp experience! :smile:

I've been thinking about trying mine yours Polk's out with the ELACs :)

• zingo
    Options
    I just requested a refund instead of a replacement as the whole experience is sitting poorly with me. I hope this isn’t the new state of Monoprice customer service as I will be very guarded to purchase from them again despite my previous great experience with products and service.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,053
    Options
    No good for sure. Open box should be a working item with cosmetic damage at worst. Bad customers service to say, open boxed items are not guaranteed to operate as advertised, and if I wanted that, I needed to pay the additional money for the new in box product."
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • zingo
    Options
    I received an email yesterday morning claiming that they were processing my refund. I then received another one from a different customer service person saying they had sent my replacement pair of headphones with the tracking number!!!!

I replied to that email with the previous email processing my refund, but haven’t heard back. If I don’t hear from them by noon I’ll call as I just want my money back.
  • zingo
    Options
    Billy at 10:11, Jan 30: Hello Jake. How may I assist you today?

Jake at 10:11, Jan 30: I have a problem with my refund

Billy at 10:14, Jan 30: What seems to be the problem with the RMA?

Jake at 10:14, Jan 30: I was told I was getting a refund, but then I was shipped a replacement, and now I'm being told I can't be refunded until that one is returned.

Jake at 10:14, Jan 30: My refund shouldn't be held because Monoprice made a mistake

Billy at 10:18, Jan 30: I see.

Billy at 10:19, Jan 30: I will be happy to look into this for you. One moment, while I pull up your order.

Jake at 10:23, Jan 30: Thank you

Billy at 10:24, Jan 30: I do apologize for this. However, we would need to have the item that was sent for replacement back then once it checked in here we will process a refund for you. I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Jake at 10:26, Jan 30:
    How can I escalate this problem? It is very poor customer service for me to be delayed a refund because of a monoprice error.

Billy at 10:30, Jan 30:
    I understand that. However, I cannot proceed in creating a refund for your unless you ship the item back to us.

Jake at 10:33, Jan 30:
    It just got shipped to me yesterday, so right now I don't have the option of sending it back - which further delays my refund.

Jake at 10:34, Jan 30:
    This is all for a pair of headphones that arrived broken to begin with.

Billy at 10:37, Jan 30:
    I understand that. However, I cannot proceed in creating a refund for your unless you ship the item back to us.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    OMFG. Absolute morons.
  • zingo
    Options
    I think my business is done with monoprice.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    I think my business is done with monoprice.

Yeah mine too, after my amplifier experience.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    This is what happens when you outsource your customer service operations to the lowest bidder.
  • zingo
    Options
    I just called them and my "concern" has been submitted for escalated review. I was told they would call me back tomorrow after I shared my complaint and my experience.
  • zingo
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Monoprice never called me back, so I called them today and they said they requested the package be returned instead of delivered. They just recieved it back at the warehouse today, and said they are processing my refund which will take another 7-10 days.

I assume I’ll get my money back at this point, but since ordering this pair of headphones a month ago, I have either had a broken product or a hold on my refund, with no interest in escalating my customer service complaints or righting the situation quickly.
  • zingo
    Options
    I just received the refund, but it was less $20... I called and asked them why my refund is short, and I was told they will look into it and email back within 1-2 days. Nothing is easy with Monoprice.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Restocking fee, baby! Or they just want to try to pull a fast one on you in hopes that you don't notice.

Shady dishonest company with awful customer service. I'll think twice about ever giving them another penny after reading about your recent experience with them.
  • zingo
    Options
    There should be no restocking fee on a product that arrives broken, or at least that seems reasonable.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    I know, I was just making that up. I hope this gets resolved soon for you so you can move on and never look back.
  • zingo
    Options
    And they refunded the last $20. Mic drop and I’m out Monoprice.