security

MexicoDan
MexicoDan Posts: 14
edited May 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
All you fella's have helped me get this far, so one more question before I finish my stereo...alarm systems. You guys got em? All this money invested and too many punks to steal it all. What are the essentials? Brands? Can a good one be had for around 300 bucks? Or, send me to a place to find the answers?
Post edited by MexicoDan on

Comments

• mrmatt
    mrmatt Posts: 16
    edited April 2004
    Bump for this thread, I too am nearing the point where I will be deciding what to go for as far as security. I'm thinking of going with a Two way system w/ the LCD Pagers, any tips, suggestions, reccomendations, etc you can give are great!

-Matt
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2004
    I have some **** alarm that came with a tint and alarm deal
    its called Barracuda by Micro Alarm Systems
    it comes with the basics
    goes off on impact
    goes off when the door opens
    starter kill
    actual alarm sound(not just horn)
    its a good alarm though
    only thing i dont like is it goes off a lot because of exhausts etc.
    i recommend Viper
    if i didnt have such a **** truck to begin with i wouldve gotten a better one but this is good for now
    im getting a new truck next summer
    if possible, im going to take the "brain" out of this truck and put it in the new truck with wires going everywhere
    its not going to be hooked up, its just going to be a "Dummy"
    it will also have a back up battery
    if the thieves disconnect your battery cable, you alarm stops
    if you have a seperate battery--this doesnt happen
    im also going to look into these little mini horns that go off when your alarm goes off
    some people call them ear piercers
    what they are are tiny but highly efficient horns that you put inside your vehicle
    they play a frequency at a volume high above the "threshold of pain"(that really is the technical term)
    so if youre a thief, you break in, you go deaf for about 20 minutes...no thief is going to want to disarm your alarm with a couple of those horns behind the panels
    thats really it--the basics i listed above plus the stuff i want to get
    thats pretty much all you can do
    you can get pagers and stuff now if youd like, i doubt id get them--but if thats your thing then go for it:)
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • mrmatt
    mrmatt Posts: 16
    edited April 2004
    I love the idea of those mini horns, just make sure you don't accidently set it off yourself :D

Viper seems to be the way to go from what I've been reading, the dummy brain and backup battery are both excellent ideas.
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited May 2004
    Are there any alarm systems that alert you when your alarm goes off? I don't need an lcd pager.. maybe just a beeping alarm keychain?

I have a pair of radioshack shreikers (little 125db sirens that connect to any 12v alarm) that I'll take apart to put inside. I wasn't aware that there was a commercial version of this idea... I had been planning on just making the shreikers myself.
    -Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    yes, they have little pager type things that alert you when you alarm goes off, i think you have to put a small antenna on top of your car
    -Cody
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited May 2004
    i just got a Audiovox prestige alarm/remote start/keyless entry the other day for like $170, the little lcd remote shows where/why the alarm went off, the temp of your car, can start the car when the temp drops to a certain point, set it to start at a specific time everyday, can roll up your windows, open your garage, and theres more, i just dont know them all....might wanna check that one out, i just need to get mine installed now...
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited May 2004
    Where did you get that? That sounds really nice. I like the roll down the windows thing. Do you have to buy a subscription to the pager service thing? How far away does the remote work? If I could get more range on my garage door, that would be nice too. The range now is pretty short - kinda sucks.
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • Systems
    edited May 2004
    i got it through some friends at a local shop, the lcd remote is part of the system, its range is like 1,600? feet. the antenna is pretty small.

http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=1613995&langId=-1
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited May 2004
    I have an alarm, but I know that an alarm isn't really going to stop someone if they're intent on stealing something. Best advice:
    STEALTH INSTALL

Make everything look stock or close to it and you won't catch the eye of a would-be theif.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • AustinKP
    edited May 2004
    Originally posted by fairlynew
    i got it through some friends at a local shop, the lcd remote is part of the system, its range is like 1,600? feet. the antenna is pretty small.

http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=1613995&langId=-1
    That's awesome. It even has a timer for parking meters! Will the remote start work on a Manual transmission?

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • Systems
    edited May 2004
    i would think so, but some places wont install it on them, due to the fact that they dont want to be held responsible for the idiot who parks their car/truck in gear and the remote start sends it bucking down the street...
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    Originally posted by AustinKP
    That's awesome. It even has a timer for parking meters! Will the remote start work on a Manual transmission?
    i think no, but i could be wrong
    i dont think the COMPANY of the alarm wants to be held liable, so they probably have something integrated where it will NOT work
    but i dunno
    -Cody
  • AustinKP
    edited May 2004
    Well, the alarm knows if the car is in gear or not. It will only start if it's in neutral. I know that there are alarms out there that will work in neutral, just wondering if this one does.

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    edited May 2004
    well if one is worried about it, and the alarm doesn't have built in place to tell if it is in nu/park or not, you can always build a relay into the starter wire, that pulls off your nu/park switch.

BTW, nice alarm, I may consider it.

-Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    edited May 2004
    Oh, what kind of inputs for sensors / output for sirens, etc does that one have?
    -Jerry

• Systems
    edited May 2004
    im not sure, im getting mine installed on thursday i think, if they can squeeze me in. an alarm/remote start is not something i wanna get involved in installing. check out the link, i dont know if i gave the one for the aps-996 or aps-996a, im not sure what the exacrt differences are, but mines the 996a...
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • AustinKP
    edited May 2004
    Let us know how you like it once it's installed. I'm interested in hearing how the actual range on that remote is. Does it actually work like a pager, or do you have to be within 1500 feet for the keychain to let you know what's going on?

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • Systems
    edited May 2004
    Well it got installed yesterday, and ive learned some things. with the right type of storm(this morning) thunder can set the alarm off, wonderful...lol. the lcd pager only will let you know if the alarm went off if your within the range, roughly a 1/4 mile. many of the extras, like the window roll up, require extra harnesses and relays, too much money. and also if you decide to get that, your windows need to all roll up at the same rate, and stop at the same time, 99.9% dont, and to fix that, its several hundred $. the trunk release, unless you have an electric trunk release, you need yet more harnesses and relays. im not too sure about the garage door opener. the parking meter timer, all you do is hit 2 buttons, and each time you press them, it changes the time, 10 min, 20 min, 30 min, etc. you can set it as an alarm clock. i didnt get tot finish reading the manual, so i dont know everything yet. but most of the other settings, are going to need to be done at either time of installation, or you would need to go back to the installer and get it done. but so far, so good.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing