Advent Rebuild

Options
I refoamed the woofers and rebuilt the crossovers for a pair of original Advents that I have had since the 70's.
lg9wv5krsqrv.jpg
emamzmfuqyfk.jpg
ylb48hlr68i3.jpg
I moved them to my office with an old Denon integrated. I am steaming Tidal to them.
It's nice to have them working again. B)

Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"

Comments

• machone
    machone Posts: 1,474
    Options
    Before and after crossover photos.
    2x6up6xakrk4.jpg
    cwfi6baqrvor.jpg

Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Options
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    Options
    Nice re-foaming job.

I would spray paint that fiberboard rim brown or something. Whatever color it was when new.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,037
    Options
    As best I can recollect, the fiberboard (Masonite) ring was always au naturel.

015m5km31pnz.png
    p5aez005859i.png

(borrowed images, tho' I do have a pair of Utility Advents lurking in the basement & hoping to get themselves refoamed someday!)

To the OP - nice work!
    Even just a little spiffing up of the OLA crossovers makes a BIG DIFFERENCE IMO and IME.

:)
  • Tony M
    Options
    OK.

I guess if the grills stay on, who cares how it looks. I've owned 2 pr. of them but can't remember the woofers for some reason. :#
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    Nice, those are the Walnut cabinets. I bought a pair of the large Advents in 77, mine were the utility cabinets. Didn't have enough cash for the solid Walnut upgrade. I loved those speakers.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • machone
    Options
    Yeah, mine are utility cabinets as well. My sister had them for while then they returned to me. I personally have not played them since I got my SDA-1A's back in the early 80's.
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• mhardy6647
    edited January 2019
    Options
    they sound so much better with decent current production capacitors and fed gobs of power than they ever sounded when they were new and cheap and hooked to little 20 watt stereo receivers in dorm rooms and apartments 'cross the land.

Nothing against little 20 watt stereo receivers, mind you -- just not the right powerplant for those insensitive, highly damped acoustic suspension loudspeakers.
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    At the time I was powering them with a Sanyo intergrated. It was something like a DCA 100 , anyway I remember it being like 45w PC.

I would love to hear a pair freshened up with some good power behind them.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• machone
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Agree. I had a jaw dropping experience listening to a pair of Advent's driven by a Phase Linear 700B. That is one reason I bought my DH-500.
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• mhardy6647
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Years ago, I had a chance to buy, and seriously considered buying, a pretty big, older, John Curl-designed Parasound stereo power amp (don't remember which one :p ). I borrowed it to try and hooked it to a pair of AR-14 loudspeakers. AR-14s are Teledyne-era AR two ways with a 12 inch acoustic suspension (what else?) woofer & a dome tweeter* Like the Advents, they're low sensitivity and a bit overdamped and benefit from a lot more power than they were typically provided with when new (mid 1970s).

qxjmduyqtw2m.png

So, the AR-14 was/is a good sounding speaker (obviously a little compromised with a big woofer & a small tweeter); with the big Parasound, they were authoritative. The transformation was stunning, actually.

I was mostly interested in the amp for subwoofer use, but it was obviously better employed full range -- plus, it was more money than I really, deep down inside, wanted to spend :p

z7j2sq8m8bdj.png

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    Don't have any pics and not sure if this is universal across the board... But my Dad has a pair of the walnut advent he purchased new back in the 60s. About 15 years ago or so we refinished them and refoamed the woofers, on the refinish it turned out the front frame was actually maple and the rest of the cabinet was walnut. Needless to say, it looked. Awesome.

Great job on the rebuild! Might be able to lose the bypass caps though 😊
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • machone
    Options
    I thought someone here would see the bypass caps. I visited an Advent site and they used bypass caps. They were cheap so I included them. Easy to remove if you think it would be better.
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• mhardy6647
    Options
    I don't think they should hurt -- but it's a testable hypothesis.
    Us scientists like those. :)
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Man I have one refoamed NLA 25th Anniversary in my garage, I really need to get around to finishing the second and throwing them on the Adcom. Nice refoam job, much better than mine. :D
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    They used bypass caps due to the main caps being inferior, you shouldn't see any benefit from them. Bypass caps can actually introduce micro distortion and artifacts in my experience
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    Options
    They definitely add artifacts.....not good.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    Options
    Man I have one refoamed NLA 25th Anniversary in my garage, I really need to get around to finishing the second and throwing them on the Adcom. Nice refoam job, much better than mine. :D

You're almost as bad as I am.
    Almost. :)

I've refoamed zero of the two Utility Advents (given to me some years back by a longtime friend who was their original purchaser) in the basement.

:p
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    Unless I missed something, it looks like the auto ban hammer has fell again.

@VR3
    @KennethSwauger
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    DaveHo wrote: »
    Unless I missed something, it looks like the auto ban hammer has fell again.

@VR3
    @KennethSwauger

whoa, yes, so I see :(

-- must be an IP address thing... and/or maybe related to the recent spate of "trouble logging in" reports?
  • codycatalist
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

I've refoamed zero of the two Utility Advents (given to me some years back by a longtime friend who was their original purchaser) in the basement.

As an explanation my cat chewed up my second replacement foam, I have just yet to find motivation to purchase again. You sir need to get on it.

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,560
    Options

As an explanation my cat chewed up my second replacement foam, I have just yet to find motivation to purchase again. You sir need to get on it.

That cat of yours has fouled up enough of your gear.....

Would like to borrow Chester? He likes cats, and your gear would be safe....

I'd find a way to disappear that speaker chewing, clawing cat of yours.

• codycatalist
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

That cat of yours has fouled up enough of your gear.....

Would like to borrow Chester? He likes cats, and your gear would be safe....

I'd find a way to disappear that speaker chewing, clawing cat of yours.

LOL!!!

I know Ivan, I know. She has now ceased to mess with my speaker stuff now that she is grown and calmed down. It doesn't hurt she is a fatty and can't get on top of my speakers anymore so I think I am good.

The reason I have my 2Bs in my small dedicated room is because I don't want to take any chances on losing more 6511s.

• reverb
    reverb Posts: 67
    Options
    I love the Advent sound. For my money it's very listenable, non-fatiguing and a pretty good value for the dollar. Make a good choice for a someone just getting into audio. I gifted both of my nephews systems that included Advents. Hard to beat the simplicity of an Acoustic Suspension 2-way - which is what Advent is known for.
  • Tony M
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I think air suspension was all the rave when they came out. B)

Yup. I got hooked on stereo with a pair of KLH 2 way acoustic suspension speakers in my late teens, early twenty's. They sounded so right.
    KLH Model 20's were the ones I believe. ;)
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Acoustic suspension was all the rage for a couple-three decades after Villchur & colleagues invented it in the early 1950s and commercialized the AR-1. Kloss and Allison, among others, were cronies of Villchur @ AR. Besides KLH, Advent, CambridgeSoundworks and Allison, those pioneers also, at least indirectly, begat (among others) EPI/Epicure, Boston Acoustics, Cizek, and Genesis, and must have influenced (at least) a/d/s and Avid, too. Those were heady times in and around Cambridge (even not allowing for Dr. Bose and his minions).

https://youtu.be/MbtkL5_f6-4
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Tony M wrote: »
    I think air suspension was all the rave when they came out. B)

Yup. I got hooked on stereo with a pair of KLH 2 way acoustic suspension speakers in my late teens, early twenty's. They sounded so right.
    KLH Model 20's were the ones I believe. ;)

This in not mine, but I have one exactly like it in excellent condition and it works!. It is in storage at this moment. It is a KLH 20 plus. I have been offered as much as $2500.00 for it. Speaks sound great.

94r19j3e2hxb.jpg
    Post edited by motorhead43026 on

• Tony M
    Options
    That's a high-end console for sure! Even in it's day it was probably expensive. I like it a lot!
  • Tony M
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I picked up some MINTY advent cabinets years ago that a guy placed on the side of the road and put a post on Craig's list saying, "Speaker cabinets for free. Perfect cond.. needs speakers. First one here gets them. I'll remove the ad when they're gone.

Or something close to that. I live about 3 miles from that place and I beat another guy to them, I found out later on. I think I have tweeters for them. The woofers aren't that much but I just haven't done a thing with them besides putting them on a shelf. :#:'(

Here's one of them.
    imvf9npphwxr.png
    Here they are now. They've been on this rack for to way long!!! :s
    apgr7x2dnwxb.png
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Are those OLAs or something like 5012Ws? I had a pair of the latter for a while -- long after Kloss had sold Advent off to (?) Recoton (IIRC), but they were pretty darned good. I liked the tweeter in the 5012W better than the weird little cone/dome :) hybrid Henry used in the OLA (FWIW).