Surround and rear placement and mounts advice

ThedogUR
ThedogUR Posts: 1
edited January 2019 in Speakers
Hello everyone. New forum user here and long time Polk user. I'm hoping you folks can offer some advice for the placement of my surround and rear speakers in a 7.1 setup. I have S55's and an S35 in the front, and plan to pickup two pair of S15's for the surround and rear. Moving the picture in this pic is not an option for me. My question is should my surround L/R and the rears be mounted at cieling level, or two to three feet above ear level. Obviously, the center rears would have to be placed on the sides of the picture if placed on the wall. The room is 18 feet deep from the front speakers/TV to this back wall. The small "L" shaped lip of wall on each side is wide enough for the S15's if that's the best place to put the rear L/R. The room is 18 deep and 14 wide. I would also appreciate any tips on good mounts for the S15's that will allow me to aim them at the listening posistion ad also hold their weight. I can't imagine that this would matter for the placement but just in case, I do plan to run the speaker cable through the wall and not out in the open. Thanks in advance for any and all advice or suggestions.1pzkdx1n91tz.jpg

Comments

• NormN
    NormN Posts: 5
    Hi,
    I just joined up to try and figure out S15 mounting options.
    What mount did you go with and are you happy with it?
    I don't trust the keyhole for angled mounting due to all the flex in that plastic plate.

I'm considering a mount that grabs the side of the enclosure but some complain of the speakers slipping out! Would it void the warranty to put screws into the side of the enclosure?

Does anyone know if the four hex bolts on the plastic plate screw into bare MDF or if there are threaded inserts? With inserts, I could add a mounting plate between the speaker and plastic using longer bolts.

Thanks for any feedback on mounting my first Polk speakers.
  • NormN
    Why does my default avatar look like it has motion sickness?!
  • NormN
    I just saw a video of a S15 tear down and there are no threaded inserts.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y4Ul-eRqhQ
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    BTech BT-77. Rock solid. My wife has clunked her head on our rear surround mounts a couple of times. The speaker won.
  • TopperDude
    TopperDude Posts: 166
    Your seating position is against the back wall? if so - highly recommend sticking with properly placed 5.1 for your bed layer instead of trying to force a 7.1.

Use the additional channels of your AV Receiver for Dolby Atmos height speakers. If your AV Receiver is a 7ch, then you can go with 2pcs ceiling speakers above your listening position for a 5.1.2 system. (If your AV Receiver is a 9ch though, consider 2pcs ceiling speakers above you (top middle) as well as an additional pair of s10 or s15 bookshelf speakers mounted high on the front wall (front height) for a final 5.1.4 system).
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited July 2020
    I use “Cotytech Side Clamping Bookshelf Speaker Wall Mount SP-OS06*.” My wife found them online. I do NOT know where they get these are side clamping. Anyone can see they clamp front to rear. Secured by cable tie - no screws! Examine the pics. YMMV

3n9r0ijew1ov.jpg

Here’s more pics of same. Note the angle of the 16 lb RTi A3

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/173492/rti-a3s-wall-mounted-as-surrounds#latest

That’s an ordinary 2X4 block as a spacer with at least 2” of 2 of the 5* deck screws in the stud. A member* who is a Pro HT* installer** recommends you strive for your surround tweets to be about 6’ vertical off the floor. Mine are higher as I mounted them before learning the “tweets 6’ rule.”
    * 2 4” - one countersunk under the bracket, one visible - top screw. The other 3 you can see (1 1/4”) attach the bracket to the block
    **can’t recall his screen name

Per pair pricing, free shipping below!

https://www.ebay.com/i/303612687878?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=303612687878&targetid=915852593453&device=m&mktype=pla&googleloc=9011083&poi=&campaignid=10456151734&mkgroupid=100467640741&rlsatarget=aud-762207186714:pla-915852593453&abcId=2146000&merchantid=10874854&gclid=CjwKCAjwsO_4BRBBEiwAyagRTQ-xlKGqCriU785m6ZXURKNjDVjVTvwgzAffFvMs-uRgTHMQbM_HHxoCjDcQAvD_BwE

Take your time regardless of your decision. It’s not worth injury or death due to carelessness.

Tony
    Post edited by gp4jesus on
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Google 5.X/7.X speaker placement. You’ll like see something like...

Two surrounds - SLIGHTLY behind pointing directly to the “hot seat’s” ears as possible

Four surrounds -
    sides: 90 degrees to the side
    rears: I say should form a 60 degree angle w/the “hot seat’s” ears.
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work