The old Pioneer CL-99A's I just got.

Options

Comments

• oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Options
    Read this a few years back when I got my set.

FB means "Free Beaten" that is, the banana leaf fiber is pulped and formed into the speaker cone material through a process that Pioneer chose to call free beaten.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,097
    Options
    I think it's too much also!
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    edited January 2019
    Options
    There's a pulp texture to my woofers but I guess it's not banana leaf fiber pulp.

Just reg. paper pulp maybe.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,227
    Options
    Tony M wrote: »
    Is that speaker in the picture ( PW-385A / z 7146) an FB woofer?

Yes.
  • VSAT88
    Options
    Also heard that the surrounds are used as a vent so more bass than a regular sealed box Kabuki. That had more bass than any small Kabuki I ever had. Don't know that to be true. Prehaps vented like an A 25 ??
  • oldrocker
    Options
    Decided to pop in my set and play a bit.

Sounded bad, pulled mains, deox'd rear controls and tried again.

Ole beaters came back to life, must still have some life left in em.

Weirder part was, wife walks in, says that looks nice ???? :o

I ask, you running a fever, got the rolled eye's look I'm used to.. :p

bvzmoodtl0p8.jpg

• VSAT88
    Options
    Does look nice ! SDA 2b's ?
  • oldrocker
    Options
    Yep 2b's.

Simple & easy....

• Tony M
    Options
    The pots on mine are scratchy too. Sound on the one came and went when I turned those selectors.

The other one has no sound but surely needs it too.

She said it looks nice...but did she say it sounded nice? :)
  • reverb
    reverb Posts: 67
    edited January 2019
    Options
    oldrocker wrote: »

They have excellent WAF. Actually the entire line is pretty handsome. Hard to beat the green cloth fronted by the lattice grill. Nice looking example you have there.
  • oldrocker
    Options
    The pots on mine are scratchy too. Sound on the one came and went when I turned those selectors.

The other one has no sound but surely needs it too.

She said it looks nice...but did she say it sounded nice? :)

She doesn't get involved much with the sound, just lets me have the hobby.
    Does throw her opinion once in a while, did ask if they could be refinished to match the rack but will leave them as they are since I rotate stuff quite often.

I let mine sit for about 30 min after spraying them while working the controls.
    Probably would have been better to take them out and spray but was too lazy for that.

• oldrocker
    Options
    reverb wrote: »
    oldrocker wrote: »

They have excellent WAF. Actually the entire line is pretty handsome. Hard to beat the green cloth fronted by the lattice grill. Nice looking example you have there.

Daughter is the one that really likes the lattice fronts or any gear vintage for that matter.
    It's a good thing cause she gets to deal with all this stuff when I'm pushing daisy's... :D
  • Tony M
    Options
    My wife and step daughter LOVE music but not stereo gear. The gear and cables are too complicated for them to understand I think. Oh, remotes are very complicated for them too. :s

I hope I sell everything myself before my little family gives it away.

I even told them in public what I think about their ignorance of any concern as to the value of my stereo stuff. Sometimes I feel like I should've done drugs or drank away my extra $$. Then there would be NOTHING for them to give away. :):#:s:'(
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    My wife and step daughter LOVE music but not stereo gear. The gear and cables are too complicated for them to understand I think. Oh, remotes are very complicated for them too. :s

I hope I sell everything myself before my little family gives it away.

I even told them in public what I think about their ignorance of any concern as to the value of my stereo stuff. Sometimes I feel like I should've done drugs or drank away my extra $$. Then there would be NOTHING for them to give away. :):#:s:'(

Uh, no! Tony my man! You inspired them to share your love of music. That's a good thing. Yeah, us collectors fret about what happens to the collection after we're gone, but the memory of you and your love of gear will always remain! Keep on collecting brother! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Tony M
    Options
    It's so weird...they both know the words to music from the late 60's and 70's and all up till now. They move to the music all the time. ( groovin ;) ). Their cars are their stereos. ;) They don't drink alcohol or use herb. They do attend concerts about once a year. I think they're 80% captured by that Facebook website stuff. :#

I met a lady at a yard sale many years ago that said she and a lot her friends could use somebody to explain how to hook-up stereos in an affordable way. I said how about 20 Hr. to do that? She said perfect! That's what she was thinking about. Not the $$$ local stereo shops wanted to charge her and her friends. Male and female I'm sure. She said I should start a small business doing that. Then my neck went very south.

Missed opportunity probably. :'(

• Tony M
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Well, last week I was browsing eBay and looking for similar Pioneer CS99A's just for kicks and I saw a cross-over for sale. I made an offer...he refused. He said raise it some, so I did...he said sold. :D

It was another beautiful day, although windy, but I went out, did some yard work and then went to swap out cross-overs. I opened the package from the seller and WOW! this new cross-over LOOKED NEW. Spotless. :pB)

There were differences from the new one and my old one. The new one looked a lot nicer and better made for sure. Here they are;

Old one;
    k91ck6upt22o.png

New replacement one;
    up5zwmmsq7lv.png

Anybody know if these potentiometers can be cleaned w/ D5 Deoxit? There's to selectors that control the High and Mid output levels x3 positions. I'm thinking they are just normal ones and can be cleaned. But should I use a Deoxit cleaner/lube on these things?

Well after putting the newer cross-over in the one I had 2 working CS99A speakers. :pB)

For 40.00.....They ROCK the yard. :D Loud and clear.

I just looked at some YouTube videos of sound output from CS99A FB's and some reg. CS99A's. I think the videos of the FB models have a lower bass like Polk audio monitor series have. What I heard today with both playing was a joy for sure ( and I know my neighbors heard my music again :D ) these speakers had that older Kenwood and older Sansui sound. I'm going to get a familiar CD some day soon and play it through these and I'll get a better idea of their sound signature than just songs off of the radio stations.

How much fun can you have for 40.00....A LOT!! ;):DB)
  • Tony M
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Here is how they were sitting when I played them both today. Just like how they were when I tested them. Maybe they needed to be spread out in a NORMAL fashion to sound even better. I'm sure they will!! ;) Oh...I forgot to look for the woofer # on the back of it. I made a mental note after looking at the FB woofer pic. in this thread but completely forgot about it when I saw that NEW LOOKING cross-over that guy sent. I still have to clean those pots on both of the speakers so ...maybe next time I'll write down my woofers' #.
    rdhloav9j1dc.png
  • Tony M
    edited February 2019
    Options
    There's a story I have about these ads that just popped up at noon today. I was the 8yh caller but they were still for sale. The others wanted him to ship them. He doesn't ship.

I called the man and I'll tell the calls' results in a minute. :s

https://wilmington.craigslist.org/ele/d/south-brunswick-pioneer-s-88-speakers/6817610384.html
    https://wilmington.craigslist.org/ele/d/south-brunswick-pioneer-s-99-speakers/6817606526.html
    https://wilmington.craigslist.org/ele/d/south-brunswick-pioneer-949-receiver/6817602107.html

vrdegyx39yo1.png
    lmwvclxxq6ib.png
    44e5bspmvq9g.png
  • Tony M
    edited February 2019
    Options
    The ad originally said 200.00 a pair for the speakers.

I was the one who said OK, I'll buy one set of speakers and the receiver and come get them now if that was ok. . He said OK. I said 300.00 right? He said no in a stern way and began describing what they go for on eBay. I said what, 250.00 for the speakers and 100 for the receiver then? Giving him extra toward what eBay has them for sale for. He said no again. :o We were like a wife and husband talking about something and there was such confusion it was WEIRD I tell ya. After a few minutes he said he had told his friend 200 per speaker. OHHHH I get it now...GOD, it's all so clear now. I could've said OK, 400 and 100 and I'll head on down there but I don't need another set of CS-99A's even though they are the FB model. Believe me, I can afford the FB's but I DON'T NEED or DESIRE TO OWN THEM and never will I don't think.

His buddy put the ad up for him and misunderstood him. I had called just about 10 minutes after it was posted. The only local guy so far..so I had a great chance to spend 300 and get a mint pr. of these speakers and a NICE quad Pioneer silver face that's worth the 300 alone.

I see he has changed the price on the speakers now to 500 a pr. ;) I just saw it but refreshing the page again to see the receiver it's back to 200 a pair.

I see what's happened the past 5 minutes. When you see the picture on the electronics' main page, the title says 200.00, that's all, but when you click on the ad you get the 500.00 a pair reality price. I'm supposed to be the buyer of the receiver. He was cutting his neighbor's grass and he said he'd call me back later.

We'll see. He was so upset over his friend posting the wrong prices, He just wanted to call his friend back to tell him to change the ad. He told me to keep thinking about what I wanted and get back to him. I told him I wanted the receiver two or three times WITH the purchase of the CS-99A's but our price disconnect kept interfering with the closing OK word from him. He'll probably forget my number in the long list he has on his phone and the Receiver mate to my FREE CS99-A's will be just a tease in the breeze. :'(

Tic Toc...Tic Toc... :#:s
    Post edited by Tony M on
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    edited February 2019
    Options
    It would be very cool to have one of those Pioneer quad receivers. :)
    That's one of the big ones, too (QX-949, TOTL, baby!)

44e5bspmvq9g.png

13432334703_c52d6b24a8_k.jpgScan_Pic0048 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • Tony M
    Options
    Thanks for posting that picture for me to read and see. Wow, only 40 watts for the big guy. I guess effecient speakers were a must pairing back then.

1 hrs. 15 min and no call from him. :# I think I'll call him again in a minute. I lost out on that pair of Infinity RS4's waiting and waiting for the guy to call me the next morning.
  • Tony M
    edited February 2019
    Options
    It was too late to edit so I don't think I made it clear enough about this mornings call.

The guy and I agreed I was going to get the receiver. He did say ok about that. But like I said, it was a misunderstanding conversation from the start as any of you can imagine it would've been with his ad and his real pricing not matching. :D

My phone just rang a second ago...YEA I thought. But it was a scam credit card info wanting call. :s

Well I just called him back and he said he just sent me a TEXT to say tomorrow would be better for him to meet me since I have to be back home by 5:00 to cook dinner for the Mrs..

I don't receive TEXTs. I opened one once to read it and my phone was charged 70.00 to go to some church in Nigeria or someplace like that. So I said cut off the Texting feature since I never text anybody anyway. So I didn't get Kurt's text and so he might've called me tomorrow and maybe not. Well I'm going to go get the receiver tomorrow around noon. Just South of where I got the SDA-CRS's that @agfrost turned me onto. 34 mile trip one way tomorrow. The beach will be out of site probably but only by a few miles. ;)B) Highway 74 goes right up the coast parallel with the ocean.

Oh...I have a blanket in my car again since I put my beat-up 99's indoors after doing that cross-over swap. I'll try and put that receiver on it for the cushy ride home. :)

He did tell me he's received a lot more calls on the CS-99A'a since we last talked earlier. But they are still wanting him to mail them. He now knows very well what he has is very desirable, at least in those FB CS-99A's in MINTY condition.
    Post edited by Tony M on
  • VSAT88
    Options
    That hifiengine is a great resource and I have been thankful over the years for them. Those Pioneer low watt quads sound great. I think they sound better than the higher watt SX series.
  • Tony M
    Options
    Thanks @oldrocker for that link. ;)B)

I've heard my fair share of the SX series so I guess I'm in for a treat then if it works like he says it does. He says there is static when turning the volume dial.
    I'll D-oxit for sure.
  • VSAT88
    Options
    Probably a lot of De-oxiting to do in there it being a quad with all those gangs on all those pots. The ones around the "green radar" screen need be done too, I guess. I have done nothing to mine so far as the volume pot is broken off at the front of the receiver. I use those little pots around the green screen to turn it up and down volume wise so far...
  • Tony M
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. ;)

Some people would've just tossed your receiver in the trash or dump site. But people like you and I find ways to keep things going or operative by thinking " What can I do about this problem for now" personal questioning. B)
  • VSAT88
    Options
    Oh no..throw it away, they would have to pry it from my cold dead hands !! You are right though. I think sometimes how many McIntosh tube amps have been tossed into the dump someone not knowing what it was cleaning out grandpa's garage.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Thanks for posting that picture for me to read and see. Wow, only 40 watts for the big guy. I guess effecient speakers were a must pairing back then.

1 hrs. 15 min and no call from him. :# I think I'll call him again in a minute. I lost out on that pair of Infinity RS4's waiting and waiting for the guy to call me the next morning.

1. 4 x 40 continuous, hifi watts (probably 2 x 80 in stereo mode) was a big deal , and no mean feat, in a receiver in those days (early-mid 1970s; the apex of quad, such as it was, was ca. '72 to '74).

2. Your idea of an efficient (i.e., sensitive) loudspeaker and mine are... ahhh...
    somewhat divergent. 40 watts would weaponize my Frankenaltecs. B)

• mhardy6647
    Options
    Not sure if hifiengine has this, but if not... :)
    http://www.kallhovde.com/pioneer/qx-949ad.pdf

6p3er8inz2nu.png

1vor6upqiyg3.png