Break-in for RDO198 tweeters

I just scored a set of RDO198 tweeters to replace/upgrade the SL3000s in my 1.2TLs. Curious to know if anyone has experience with how many hours of play are needed to break these tweeters in and settle these badboys down. Right out of the box the midrange seems to have more clarity (excellent), but the treble is a bit edgy (boo-hissss). I'm guessing things will settle down with time. I'm just curious to know what to expect. Thanks!

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,013
    Well you got some NICE tweeters for sure!

Are the tweeters used?

Also, what speakers did you put them into?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • I bought the tweeters directly from Polk. They're installed in the SDA SRS 1.2TLs.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Give them around 100-200 hours to really settle in. When I did my 2.3TLs, it took about 160 hours for them to come into their own. Until then, they were exactly as you described with a bit of a harsh top end.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Thanks, Bro! I was kinda expecting that, but hoping for less time, given as they're a fabric dome rather than metal. I guess I'll just have to be patient... :-( And I'm guessing that right as they're settling in, my new crossovers will arrive -- and need another 100 hours to break in. Grrr....
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,782
    Mine took about 50 hours.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,549
    jbomber wrote: »
    Thanks, Bro! I was kinda expecting that, but hoping for less time, given as they're a fabric dome rather than metal. I guess I'll just have to be patient... :-( And I'm guessing that right as they're settling in, my new crossovers will arrive -- and need another 100 hours to break in. Grrr....

Depending on the caps that could be a lot longer 400-500hrs
  • RobbyKY
    RobbyKY Posts: 117
    Lots of discussion here:

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/115815/burn-in-time-for-the-new-tweeters/p1

Although years of school tells me it doesn't matter, my ears say otherwise. My previous upgraded projects seemed to mellow out after about 200 hours. Got a brand new set of 198's for my in-process 3.1rebuild and was swapping them in and out of my well-seasoned 3.1's just last week. There is an identifiable sonic difference.
    Media Room: Parasound JC-5, Cambridge 851N, Schiit Freya, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Game Room: Carver M4.0t, Carver C-4000, Oppo BDP-105, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Bar/Card Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Oppo BDP-93, SDA SRS 3.1
    Son's Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Laptop/AQ Dragonfly, SDA SRS 3.1
    Bedroom: McIntosh MC150, Cambridge CXN, SDA 2Btl
    Outdoor Pool Area: Yamaha R-N803 with four Polk Atrium 6
    HT: Polk RTi A9s, CSi-A6, RT-65, RTi-A3's, Marantz SR5012, XPA3, UDP-203, Epson 5040UB

• Dr_Wu
    Dr_Wu Posts: 305
    Instant gratification is nice. But, there's much to be said for the sensation that your speakers are sounding better and better every day!
  • Hey RobbyKY, Thanks for the link. I tried a search, but I used the term, "break in" and didn't come up with much. I suppose I could have searched for a few hours, but I'm lazy... Thank goodness for guys like you :-) that have a handle on these things.