Head Unit

swerve
swerve Posts: 1,862
edited May 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Im looking to up my HU to something that plays MP3's for my Bday. My birthday is june 18 but my mom usually will go half with me a month earlier. I'm looking at this kenwood
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ibLce3C3j3h/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=3&g=62700&I=113MP825&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N
but the last place i buy from will be crutchfield, any other suggestions? I'm really sick of having nearly 100 cd's in my car so im putting this over the new amp. thanks

-adam
cats.vans.bag...
Post edited by swerve on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2004
    my only complaint is the 2volt pre-outs...and theres only 2...
    whats your budget and ill tell ya what id get
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • swerve
    edited April 2004
    yea, i saw the pre-out thing that was an issue with the one i have now too, but i didn't have a choice then.
    since my mom is going to give me 150-200 for this id say in the 300-350 range. She went half with me on my amp too, alot of my friends get the cold shoulder when it comes to their system and their parents. i must be the lucky one... lol

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    yeah...my parents actually help me out LESS now that i have a system
    my dad's mentality is "If he can afford to put all that 'crap' in his truck he can pay for everything else as well"
    which is true though...but every cent of my system has been paid for by me
    ill look up something this weekend and try to get you a variety of different HUs you can pick from
    all you want is MP3 capability?
    are you looking into getting XM or Sirius ever?
    if so, do you prefer one over the other?
    anything else?
    -Cody
  • swerve
    edited April 2004
    mp3 is basically all that is required, I doubt I'll want XM or Sirius ever but it'd be nice to have compatibility just in case.

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2004
    the kenwood excelon kdc-x579 does mp3, has three preouts, looks cool, supports sirius, and costs $280. i like my x469, which is this thing, from last year, minus the mp3 capability. good stuff. i especially like its eq.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • swerve
    edited April 2004
    nice, ill bookmark it and see what Cody comes up with for me.

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    eXcelons are really nice decks
    give me til saturday night and ill have something up
    -Cody
  • swerve
    edited April 2004
    sounds good, thx for your help. Tomorrow im going to a few local shops so I'll be looking there as well.
    cats.vans.bag...
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited April 2004
    How about Alpine CDA9827 ? Its played every mp3 disk I've ever stuck in it and it's only 240 or less.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2004
    that one, here, does mp3, has 3 4-volt preouts, and is xm-ready, and has more extensive subwoofer controls than the kenwood. it seems to have a less extensive eq, which is the only bad thing i can find with it. list price is $260.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • swerve
    edited April 2004
    Yea, i was checking that one out last night.. thanks for all your suggestions.. im going to a few shops tonight hopefully.

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    aight, ive been looking around a little bit
    mind you, the 9827 is a nice head unit--it is the only Alpine I'll recommend because I've never heard anyone having any problems or complaints against it
    but I am no fan of Alpine in general
    I know I said I'd give you a list, but after some searching I remembered this kenwood was in your price range
    truthfully, spec for spec, its just better than the 9827
    better warranty
    higher voltage pre outs
    but theres much more to a head unit than pre outs though
    here's a comparison of them head to head
    im pretty sure John(Jstas) runs eXcelon amps and a head unit
    i saw that head unit on www.speedsound.com
    i dont remember the price, but its worth checking out
    itll probably be around $270ish there
    i believe speed and sound are authorized dealers for everything they sell, but call and ask to make sure
    so my nod goes to the Kenwood
    -Cody
  • swerve
    edited April 2004
    Should I order from speed and sound if they are? What if I can get it locally from somewhere? thanks

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • jamas33
    jamas33 Posts: 89
    edited May 2004
    for just a lil bit over 280 I can get you the Excelon 859. Great Deck. I had one and traded up to the DVD 911 KVT. I love my excelon matched w/ the amps.
    Equipment List:
    Head Unit: Kenwood Excelon XXV-005
    Planet Audio P13.3
    Ipod 60 GB
    XBox
    AMPS:
    Kicker KX1200.1
    Kicker KX850.4
    Speakers:
    Front: Kicker RS65
    Rear: Kicker RS65
    Rear Deck: Pioneer 4x10 (AAARGH)
    Subs: 2 Kicker 15L7

my car: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/571313
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    go with whatevers cheaper
    most internet sites have free shipping now--especially if its over $200 worth of equipment
    speed and sound IS an actual company--they have their own store and everything
    they just have an internet store as well--so theyre reliable--ill be ordering amps from them within the next year or so
    but if you can get it at your local store--then by all means get it from there
    -Cody
  • jamas33
    jamas33 Posts: 89
    edited May 2004
    I found this on ebay
    the Kenwood Excelon 869
    for 269.99
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=39751&item=3093343591&rd=1

And here's another link for Excelon Deck
    http://www.discountjungle.net/carcdplayer.html

My friend is a manager at the Kenwood Outlet store here in California so he gets me most of the Kenwood at cost.
    Equipment List:
    Head Unit: Kenwood Excelon XXV-005
    Planet Audio P13.3
    Ipod 60 GB
    XBox
    AMPS:
    Kicker KX1200.1
    Kicker KX850.4
    Speakers:
    Front: Kicker RS65
    Rear: Kicker RS65
    Rear Deck: Pioneer 4x10 (AAARGH)
    Subs: 2 Kicker 15L7

my car: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/571313
  • swerve
    edited May 2004
    aight, once again thanks for all of your help

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • swerve
    edited May 2004
    guess im ordering online cause ive been to all but one of the shops around here and no one carries excelon stuff. :( central IL is so lame when it comes to finding stuff you want.

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2004
    Ordering online just scares the **** out of me. Pretty much the only company I would order with would be Crutchfield. Theyve been around for centuries and started off as a mail order catalog joint back in the day. I used to browse thru their catalog back in high school (86-90) and drool over all the cool **** I was going to put in my car.......well once I actually got one!

If youre going to order from somebody I highly recommend they be an authorized dealer. This means youll probably not pay the lowest price out there but you can be assured youre not going to get a remanufactured unit or worse and the manufactuer will back the warranty!

Just my 2 cents.

Oh and heres a thrid cent, Excelon is awesome gear! Its up there with the best you can get. Im partial to Alpine myself but I would be damn proud to own Excelon.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • swerve
    edited May 2004
    I'm not a fan of ordering online either. I might call some stores up north around Chicago to see if they carry it eventhough I'm not a fan of driving up there either. hopefully it will pay off in the end
    cats.vans.bag...
  • swerve
    edited May 2004
    Any of you deal with Speed and Sound before?
    cats.vans.bag...
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    MTXMan has
    he bought his tube amp from them i believe
    -Cody
  • mbdyer12
    mbdyer12 Posts: 220
    edited May 2004
    No one here is a Pioneer fan I guess =( I love mine.This head unit is the one I have but newer (prettier, plays wma/mp3 well, the EQ is great, 4v pre-outs I do believe, hp/lp filters, etc), just check out the link. Ohh did I mention its awefully good looking? :D
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    im usually the first to recommend pioneer but they dont really have anything i like in that price range when you compare it to others in the same price range
    that HU only has 2V pre outs
    id take the eXcelon over that one
    -Cody
  • mbdyer12
    mbdyer12 Posts: 220
    edited May 2004
    Yeah, you're right. Ignore me :D Mine has 4v... I actually remember seeing the model with an extra 0 in the model name has 2v preouts instead of 4.. When I bought mine, the deh-p750mp had 4v, but the deh-p7500mp had 2v preouts. I suppose you're right about what it offers vs price.. :(
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited May 2004
    Yeah, the extra '0' must denote the 'cheapo' model....

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.