Will a B&K ST1430 help my RTi-12's?

imsjryimsjry Posts: 114
Currently running RTi-12's in a smallish room with a Kenwood KA-8004. The Kenny seems to drive them very well considering its listed at only 55wpc/8om.

I have my eyes on a B&K ST1430 and wondering if you guys think it would help add more a bit more detail to the already great sounding Polks?

Thoughts? Thanks!

Comments

• EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 16,833
    It will handle transients better and let you go louder without straining the amp. If the price is right, I'd go for it.

More power on tap is always a good thing.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • imsjryimsjry Posts: 114
    It will handle transients better and let you go louder without straining the amp. If the price is right, I'd go for it.

More power on tap is always a good thing.

Thanks! Would that be the case even if have never had a need to turn the volume past 10 o'clock with the Kenwood? My hope is more perhaps more soundstage and imaging benefits.
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 5,896
    I would expect that the bass would have more authority and texture with the B&K, and you generally hear more details at lower listening volumes with a better, more powerful amp. Those speakers are VERY hungry, I think you will like what you hear with a better amp. And with the B&K, if you don't think its an improvement, they are easy to sell if its in good condition. If you get a solid deal you won't lose anything...
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Peachtree Audio NovaPre; B&K TX4430; Bryson BPD-1; Mains: Dynaudio Excite x18; Center - Polk cs400i; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - HSU VTF-2 MK5; LG UP870 4K BDP; NVidia ShieldTV
    ;
    Master Bedroom
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Definitive Technology SM45, NHT Super One CI surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo (original), Squeezebox Touch
  • wallstreetwallstreet Posts: 1,405
    More is better, especially with B&K. Disclosure, I love B&K and own their equipment.
    Fronts - LS-90
    Center - CS-400i
    Sides - FX-1000
    Rears - AB755 (2)
    Sub - SVS 25-31 PC-Plus
    Amp - B&K AVR317
  • imsjryimsjry Posts: 114
    wallstreet wrote: »
    More is better, especially with B&K. Disclosure, I love B&K and own their equipment.

Thanks! How does the ST1430 rate in the realm of B&K? I gather it’s the 3 channel version of the ST1400 but surprisingly not a lot of reviews online about it. “Only” 105wpc at 8om it says so hope it’s a good match with the RTi12.

• wallstreetwallstreet Posts: 1,405
    Never heard that specific model. I own the AVR317 which is 7x150. I've never wanted for more power.
    Fronts - LS-90
    Center - CS-400i
    Sides - FX-1000
    Rears - AB755 (2)
    Sub - SVS 25-31 PC-Plus
    Amp - B&K AVR317
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 5,896
    @daboyz

He had one in the past I know...I have the bigger 4430 at 200 wpc and it’s great!
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Peachtree Audio NovaPre; B&K TX4430; Bryson BPD-1; Mains: Dynaudio Excite x18; Center - Polk cs400i; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - HSU VTF-2 MK5; LG UP870 4K BDP; NVidia ShieldTV
    ;
    Master Bedroom
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Definitive Technology SM45, NHT Super One CI surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo (original), Squeezebox Touch
  • JayMXJayMX Posts: 240
    edited January 3
    I own a 1430. It is a very nice sounding amp. Good well of power, drove my SDA SRS2's and my RTA12c's admirably. But then I picked up the GFA555 and things changed, for the better... ;)
    Post edited by JayMX on
    Current Collection:
    Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL2000), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s, Dynamat, Sonicaps, Mills, H-nuts), SDA CRS+ (SL2000), RTA12c (194's), SDA SRS 2 (SL2000)

Repair pile: SRS 3.1TL (198’s), RTA 11T's, (1) lonely RTA 11TL to become a center channel... someday...

Pairs that have passed through:
    Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10c (3x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, SDA2, SDA2a, SDA1b, SDA SRS2

...and more to come, it’s a sickness.