LSiM 707 upgrade from RTi A7?

2»

Comments

• ivanlee13
    ivanlee13 Posts: 34
    edited January 2019
    Hi guys, so I have splurged quite a lot now. I got the LSiM707, LSiM706c and a Emotiva XPA-3 power amp coming. I have one more question, if I can afford only a pair of LSiM703 right now, should I use them as side surrounds or rear surrounds? I will use my current RTiA1s for the other pair of surrounds so I just need some advice on where to put the better surrounds, side or rear? Thanks!
    Television: LG 65E6P
    Player: Oppo UDP-203 / PS4 Pro / Xbox One X / Apple TV 4K / Chromecast Ultra
    Receiver: Yamaha RX-A3060
    Power Amplifier: Anthem MCA 325

Front Speakers: Polk Audio LSiM 707
    Center Speaker: Polk Audio LSiM 706c
    Surround Speakers: Polk Audio LSiM 703
    Surround Back Speakers: Polk Audio LSiM 703
    Dolby Atmos Front: Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-140SA
    Dolby Atmos Rear: Pioneer SP-T22A-LR
    Subwoofer: SVS PB-1000
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    I would run the RTI A1’s as surrounds before making a decision, if I were you.

I run LSI M for front threes and RTI A’s for the other six. Works well for HT, and only listen to music in 2-channel.
  • That would save me some money for sure, thanks! The sale for the 703 ends today at best buy canada so I'll save it in the box until I get to test the 707+706c together with my current system before deciding if I need to upgrade the surrounds and open it.

• Derm
    Derm Posts: 95
    Where did you get your 706c?
    Been trying to find one in Canada myself.
    Speakers
    Front - LsiM707, Front presence - LsiM703, Future ATMOS - VS 700LS
    Center - LsiM706c, Rear surrounds - 80 F/X LS, VS 900LS. Sub - (pair) Klipsch R-12SW
    AVR - Yamaha RX-A3010
    AMP - NAD C275BEE
    Main HT - LG 4K 75”, Sony UBXP800M2
    Bedroom HT - LG 55" 4K, Philips BDP7501 4K UHD player , Yamaha SRT-1500 sound projector, Spare room HT LG 50” plasma, Yamaha BD-671
    Office - Pioneer X-CM56, Bose iPod dock
    In Storage - 4 - RTiA9, RtiA3, CSiA6, FXiA4, Blackstone TL1

The only source of knowledge is experience. Albert Einstein
  • Derm wrote: »

I just ordered it from Adorama for $499 usd, had to pay I think $100 USD or so for shipping and $100 cdn to FedEx for customs. Not the best deal after factoring in shipping and customs cost, but at least it arrived quick.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited January 2019
    Hello:

I've had the Rti-A9s for the past 16 months and (overall) they are a pretty decent speaker.
    I use them in combination with (2) R-S700 Yamaha Receivers, Bose 901s and ancient Image Concept 200 Towers; as well as an SVS SB-2000 sub. All with proper setup, decent cabling, etc.

All speakers are all running at the same time.

The COMBINED sound was very nice and with better source material, it kept getting better. Certain FLAC 96/24 recordings from my Audio-Server sounded spectacular!

Living in Canada, I recently took advantage of a super-deal on a new pair of LSiM-707 Towers and I must say there is a considerable difference between them and the A9s. Oddly, they are LOUDER than the A9s at the same volume setting which would indicate more efficiency but, nevertheless, it is the case with my setup.

The 707s have been described as (and ARE) more "musical" then the A9s I found the A9s a bit edgy/harsh on the Treble and while I had to pull considerable Treble out with the Yamaha Tone controls (a must), I am running the 707s flat.

Further, the Sound-stage and depth produced by the 707s is immense compared to the A9s. The 707s puts a listener into the music whereas, in comparison, the A9s were far more speaker-like.

Realizing the importance of Synergy with audio components installed in a wide variety of rooms, this has been my experience.

Although the pair of R-S700s seem to be working well, I'm currently looking into the A-S1100 Yamaha Integrated as the next evolutionary step towards audio Nirvana.

My 2 cents.

well that is understandable as the RTiA9 are first and foremost voiced as a home theater speaker. The LSIm are more of a musical speaker for 2 channel listening. Do they work as a home theater speaker sure do but not voiced as bright as the RTiA line of speakers.
  • adabro
    adabro Posts: 212
    ivanlee13 wrote: »
    Derm wrote: »

I just ordered it from Adorama for $499 usd, had to pay I think $100 USD or so for shipping and $100 cdn to FedEx for customs. Not the best deal after factoring in shipping and customs cost, but at least it arrived quick.

I did the same, but had it delivered to a US shipping site, saved me a little bit, but the first one delivered was smashed. Had to drive it back across the border for pickup and will need to go back again next week when the replacement gets here. Not sure it was worth the hassle.
  • Derm
    edited January 2019
    [/quote]

I did the same, but had it delivered to a US shipping site, saved me a little bit, but the first one delivered was smashed. Had to drive it back across the border for pickup and will need to go back again next week when the replacement gets here. Not sure it was worth the hassle.[/quote]

That’s disappointing. Hopefully the replacement is good.
    I had one of my 707’s damaged by UPS but the replacement was good.
    I was going to order the 706c from Adorama but I was on their eBay site and saw all of the damaged speakers there that it put me off.
    Are they double boxing these 706’s when they ship?
    My 707’s weren’t from Best Buy but I think those in particular are from Adorama.

I want a 706c and pair of 702 f/x badly but getting them intact is the concern.
    Speakers
    Center - LsiM706c, Rear surrounds - 80 F/X LS, VS 900LS. Sub - (pair) Klipsch R-12SW
    AVR - Yamaha RX-A3010
    AMP - NAD C275BEE
    Bedroom HT - LG 55" 4K, Philips BDP7501 4K UHD player , Yamaha SRT-1500 sound projector, Spare room HT LG 50” plasma, Yamaha BD-671

• adabro
    adabro Posts: 212
    It was double boxed, but whatever got it, got it good. The boxes looked OK, but the Styrofoam was smashed as well as the speaker. Fingers crossed on my replacement, Adorama and UPS never gave me any grief, but I'll cancel if this one is broken as well.

I did also order a telescope from them, I was far more worried about that and it arrived without a scratch....
  • Yikes, sorry to hear that your unit got smashed. I was lucky with my 706c, it came in perfect condition from FedEx, not even a ding on the box. The 707s from UPS (Best Buy Canada) though as treated very poorly from the UPS driver, he literally pushed the box across my entire driveway and scratched both boxes up. Luckily, the speakers were okay and everything turned out fine.

• Derm
    Yikes, sorry to hear that your unit got smashed. I was lucky with my 706c, it came in perfect condition from FedEx, not even a ding on the box. The 707s from UPS (Best Buy Canada) though as treated very poorly from the UPS driver, he literally pushed the box across my entire driveway and scratched both boxes up. Luckily, the speakers were okay and everything turned out fine.

How are you liking the new 707/6c set up Ivan?

I haven't used my system other than testing the 707's and 703's to be sure they worked so I cannot say yet how the CsiA6 is doing blending in.
    Adorama is selling 706c for $499 again.....so tempting.

Speakers
    AVR - Yamaha RX-A3010
    AMP - NAD C275BEE

• Derm wrote: »
    Yikes, sorry to hear that your unit got smashed. I was lucky with my 706c, it came in perfect condition from FedEx, not even a ding on the box. The 707s from UPS (Best Buy Canada) though as treated very poorly from the UPS driver, he literally pushed the box across my entire driveway and scratched both boxes up. Luckily, the speakers were okay and everything turned out fine.

How are you liking the new 707/6c set up Ivan?

I haven't used my system other than testing the 707's and 703's to be sure they worked so I cannot say yet how the CsiA6 is doing blending in.
    Adorama is selling 706c for $499 again.....so tempting.

Hey sorry, I completely missed your reply. I am quite enjoying the 707s+706. Ended up getting a pair of 703s too to match surrounds too. Surprisingly, I feel that gave me a big improvement, more than I expected so it was a pleasant shock. Also added a Anthem MCA 325 power amp to power my fronts and centers. Finally quite satisfied for both movies and music at the same time!

• Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,116
    Wow, very nice Ivan. Good for you on getting your set up together! I notice the Atmos set up as well. It must sound great!

When you had asked about placement of the 703's, I would have suggested trying both to see which made the most since in sound to you.

I run an RTiA set up but have been introducing some LiSM's into it. I have the 703's in the rear under power and a 706 also under power. Surprisingly the 706 plays very nicely with the A9's. There are a pair of FXiA6's in surround.

In the not so distant future, the 703's will move to 2ch and I have a second pair of FXiA6's to place in the rear. I have been contemplating the purchase of a pair of 707's for awhile myself, but still undecided as I actually have a second pair of A9's that serve as the wide channel when space allows. :smiley:
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • Thanks for the kind words Geoff! You have an amazing system yourself! I would have loved to try my new power amp on my RTiAs to see the difference it would have made. I felt I never powered my A7s to their full potential. Been very happy with dolby atmos movie tracks where height effects are actually utilized. Some movies, the difference is less significant.

I have never tested the A9's since I was lacking power the entire time until recently. The 707's were big upgrade for music clarity and details for me though even before adding in the power amp. For movies though, it's not until recently with all the new equipment in place (707s, 706, 703s, power amp) that I am noticing a drastic improvement.

Do you have any pics of your set up to share? I would love to see it!

• Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,116
    Thanks for the kind words Geoff! You have an amazing system yourself!

I have never tested the A9's since I was lacking power the entire time until recently.

You're welcome! and thank you for yours. As far as powering the A9's, or the A7's, in my opinion, the extra power really isn't that big of a deal unless you're using the whole speaker w/woofers, or if you have 7 plus speakers in your set up. I've noticed that the bottom end of those big speakers eat up power during LFE scenes like cold beer on a sweltering summer day :wink: I really need to take new photos now with my 706 in place, I'll take a look and see if I have anything recent with my new stand.

I'll post again once I get some new shots with the 706.frracx4ut6qf.jpg

This is my original RTiA set up with 4 A9's across the front. I'll have to dig for my current.
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • vavan
    vavan Posts: 24
    In case anyone wanted to see pictures
    Interesting how could you put something on curved top of lsim?
    Parasound Halo Integrated, Pioneer SC-LX 901, Oppo-205, Revel F208 + Heco Aurora Center 30 + Heco Victa Prime 202
  • Geoff4rfc wrote: »
    Thanks for the kind words Geoff! You have an amazing system yourself!

I have never tested the A9's since I was lacking power the entire time until recently.

You're welcome! and thank you for yours. As far as powering the A9's, or the A7's, in my opinion, the extra power really isn't that big of a deal unless you're using the whole speaker w/woofers, or if you have 7 plus speakers in your set up. I've noticed that the bottom end of those big speakers eat up power during LFE scenes like cold beer on a sweltering summer day :wink: I really need to take new photos now with my 706 in place, I'll take a look and see if I have anything recent with my new stand.

I'll post again once I get some new shots with the 706.frracx4ut6qf.jpg

This is my original RTiA set up with 4 A9's across the front. I'll have to dig for my current.

Great stuff! Would love to see the new pics when you have the 706 installed too.

• vavan wrote: »
    In case anyone wanted to see pictures
    Interesting how could you put something on curved top of lsim?

That was definitely one of my biggest concerns when I got the 707, interestingly, my Klipsch Atmos speakers are just the right size where it sits perfectly on the curve without wobbling at all. The sound also does not seem to be affected so things have worked out better than I thought.

• SA7I
    SA7I Posts: 14
    Based on what I know, the Polk RTI A9s sound better than the Polk LSiM 707, but you’ll have to put them in a dedicated room with acoustic treatment.
  • pyrocyborg
    pyrocyborg Posts: 524
    edited March 2019
    Better is relative. Nothing against the RTiA9, as they're no slouch with proper amplification and can fill a room with deeper and probably bigger bass, but the 707s probably are better for most music types.

I didn't really like the 707s myself, but I have limited experience in sub-optimal rooms. I'm sure that in a properly treated room and with a lot of juice, they're incredible for the price.
    Speakers: Polk Audio LSiM 705, LSiM 703, LSiM 704c
    Receiver: Denon X3500H