SDA 2B Imaging/Sound Staging at lower volumes

I love my SDA 2bs but I have one major issue and I was wondering what others think. When I have the volume cranked up, they are truly alive. Sound stage is extremely large, the imaging is better than any other speaker I've ever had, and they just sound good. My problem comes when i listen to them at lower levels..... let's say normal talking volume(or somewhat higher). When I listen at this level something just feels off. The sound stage is smaller and the sound between the speakers seems like it is smooshed to one side instead of being evenly distributed.

Is this a normal characteristic of these speakers? Is there anything I can do to improve lower listening levels? I have been saving money to do major upgrades(tl crossover, hurricane, ect ect) and want to do them in the near future. Will the upgrades help with this?

Lastly, the reason listening levels are such a concern to me, is because of my wife. She has had hearing issues all her life and about 7 years ago got titanium implant. Now when the volume gets to loud it causes her physical pain in her ears. I would like to listen to music at lower volumes with her but as stated earlier it just sounds off.

Thanks

Notes:
rdo-194s are currently installed and the polyswitch is removed

The speakers are in my living room 6ft apart, about 5 inches from back wall with plenty of empty space to the sides of the speaker.

SDA cable is being used

I'm using a adcom GFA-555(so about 325 watts at 4 ohms) for a amp

A schiit Vali 2 is being used as pre (ya i know ill get somthing better when i can)

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,968
    My thoughts is that your Amp tends to open up when it is cracked
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • I agree with Trey
    Some equipment changes character at different volume levels. Try using another amp/preamp and see what happens.
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,261
    I have the same speakers and same amp as you. I think I had the same problem as you before and after I did upgrades on my 2Bs. Unless I was sitting dead center on my sofa I felt the sound of my system was lacking at low volumes too. Especially if listening to TV.

My solution was to get a small Marantz AVR with pre-outs to use as a preamp. The Marantz only powers a center speaker and the Marantz pre-outs feed my Adcom 555 to power my 2Bs. The Marantz comes with a microphone to automatically calibrate itself to your room. With this setup the sound seems to be centered as it should at low volumes even if you are sitting to one side on the sofa.

When I decide to play it loud for music I switch the Marantz to "Pure Direct" mode which eliminates all the bells and whistles the Marantz normally has and eliminates the center speaker to allow my 2Bs and Adcom to work their magic.
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    I love my SDA 2bs but I have one major issue and I was wondering what others think. When I have the volume cranked up, they are truly alive. Sound stage is extremely large, the imaging is better than any other speaker I've ever had, and they just sound good. My problem comes when i listen to them at lower levels..... let's say normal talking volume(or somewhat higher). When I listen at this level something just feels off. The sound stage is smaller and the sound between the speakers seems like it is smooshed to one side instead of being evenly distributed.

Is this a normal characteristic of these speakers? Is there anything I can do to improve lower listening levels? I have been saving money to do major upgrades(tl crossover, hurricane, ect ect) and want to do them in the near future. Will the upgrades help with this?

Lastly, the reason listening levels are such a concern to me, is because of my wife. She has had hearing issues all her life and about 7 years ago got titanium implant. Now when the volume gets to loud it causes her physical pain in her ears. I would like to listen to music at lower volumes with her but as stated earlier it just sounds off.

Thanks

Notes:
    rdo-194s are currently installed and the polyswitch is removed

The speakers are in my living room 6ft apart, about 5 inches from back wall with plenty of empty space to the sides of the speaker.

SDA cable is being used

I'm using a adcom GFA-555(so about 325 watts at 4 ohms) for a amp

A schiit Vali 2 is being used as pre (ya i know ill get somthing better when i can)

It's either the room or the amp.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Could be you need to upgrade your crossovers. Did you replace the polyswitch with a 0.5 ohm resistor? If not it may cause the tweeters to be too bright (especially someone with newfound sonic clarity).
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • I don't find too many issues at low volumes on my Adcom GFA 545. I don't have any balance or imaging shift however they do come alive when you turn them up but I personally don't see any issue with it.

Using a Denon Pra1200 for my preamp.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    The speakers are about 5 inches from back wall with plenty of empty space to the sides of the speaker.

X-over upgrade time . . .
    Also, this won't solve your initial inquiry, but push those bad-boys up against the rear wall (unless, you don't like bass)
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited December 2018
    "The sound stage is smaller and the sound between the speakers seems like it is smooshed to one side instead of being evenly distributed."

Has anyone noticed this one phrase?
    If the soundstage moves drastically to one side as the volume level is lowered, that would make only a few options as to what is the issue.

What would cause the sound stage to "Collapse" to one side, and be volume dependent?

Maybe loose connections in speaker, or crossover, amp issues?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Yes Kelly, I already stated two possible reasons for that, either the room or the amp.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    I have a similar setup with 2Bs (6' apart, 7" from back wall) and separates (Adcom pre 750, and amp GFA535ll) and actually enjoy lower volume levels, maybe about -36 on the display. What source are you using, I didn't see that anywhere in your post?

Also, maybe spray the volume control with some contact cleaner, CAIG is pretty good stuff to have on hand.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,261
    edited December 2018
    K_M wrote: »
    "The sound stage is smaller and the sound between the speakers seems like it is smooshed to one side instead of being evenly distributed."

Has anyone noticed this one phrase?

I noticed it. Since he said he and his wife were listening a low levels I assumed they weren't both sitting in the center of the speakers and were probably sitting on each end of a sofa - like I do when listening to TV at low levels.

I prefaced my comments by saying, "Unless I was sitting dead center on my sofa I felt the sound of my system was lacking at low volumes too. Especially if listening to TV". That was in comparison to sitting in the center at higher volume levels. I went on to describe a solution that worked for me when not sitting in the ideal location that makes the sound seem more centered.

If you guys are saying that you can sit on one side of the room and the sound isn't "smooshed to one side instead of being evenly distributed." then I guess you have better SDA setups in your room than I have. OR maybe I'm getting old and my ears are the problem. :)
    Post edited by TennMan on
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited December 2018
    I mean shouldn't be hard to diagnose, like @F1nut said it's either the amp or the room. Switch the speaker wire to the other speaker and see if it continues. If not, most likely the room. If it does then possibly DC offset but I figure it would be noticeable at higher volumes as well.

With my comment of having no issues above...do keep in mind my SDAs do have upgraded/refreshed crossovers.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member