Supra Quadrax speaker wire.

Options
So, as I mentioned in the WTB thread looking for speaker wire that I absently minded started, I have finally got around to putting these wires into the 2 channel rig. These are the wires I got on a karma from Trey and are my first adventure into something other than zip cord/run of the mill wire. I was previously using some flat wire that was given to me by another Polkie so that I could run the wire under my baseboard apprx. 25 feet to where the amp was located. This certainly served the purpose but I was itching to relocate the rack to between the speakers and try something new.

First off I will say that these wires are a PITA to work with, but once they were finished the results speak volumes. I twisted the wires to have a pair at each and and followed Trey's advise on which ones to pair up in the twists. This actually worked against the ones I would have picked because, each wire in the twist is opposite of the other instead of next to each other in the casing. Had to take off more casing that I had planned to be able to not only twist the wires but be able to have enough slack to attach to the binding posts.

The ends are terminated with Furex silver spades and a few inches of heat shrink tubing. 1 cable is about 6' and the other is around 8' long. Last night the Mrs wanted to listen to some Christmas music so I played an old record my parents had and then a cd. Previously I had only hear these on low end equipment and they sounded "OK", last night I was not satisfied at all. The highs seemed "hot" and the bass was lacking. This had me concerned but I ran out of time to play anything else.

Fearing I had once again f'd up something, I got the 9V battery out and a couple of wires to be sure the polarity was correct...and it was. So tonight I reach for 2 albums that I'm familiar with and it did not take long for the smile to reappear on my face. Not only was I hearing the sound I had expected but everything seemed clearer. The symbol decay was much more noticeable, mids were lifelike and the bass was smooth but punchy when it should be. Everything just jelled. More than once I opened my eyes and expected to see Mark Knopfler in the room with me. I guess I'm finally at the pint where well recorded music is sounding great and poorly done stuff is unlistenable...and I can live with that!

So in short, if you don't mind a bit more work than you may normally put into getting wires ready for your rig I think you will be happy with these. Thanks again to all the Polkies that have had a hand one way or another getting me to this point.
Yep, my name really is Bob.
Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Awesome

I'm running supra everywhere from internet to power, nothing has let me down

Not sure I mentioned, but make sure you have the direction right as well, when leaving the amp, the arrows on the wire should lead to the speakers
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,970
    Options
    Arrows!?? Oh crap, never noticed them. I got lucky on one but I'll correct the other.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    muncybob wrote: »
    Arrows!?? Oh crap, never noticed them. I got lucky on one but I'll correct the other.

Yeah, get em wrong and the amp tries to push music out and the cable keeps sending it back. Eventually, the whole thing just explodes. Weird. >:)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,560
    Options
    mdaudioguy wrote: »

Yeah, get em wrong and the amp tries to push music out and the cable keeps sending it back. Eventually, the whole thing just explodes. Weird. >:)

I thought maybe the song came out backards :D

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    mdaudioguy wrote: »

I thought maybe the song came out backards :D

That can happen when the amp pushes out more watts than the cables are rated for. Easy fix, though - just turn around and let the music enter your other ear. :p
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    I did that once and I heard “Paul is dead!” come out of the speakers
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,520
    Options
    dromunds wrote: »

Pictures or it didn't happen. >:)
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    edited December 2018
    Options
    dromunds wrote: »

Number 9? :)

Glad you're hearing an improvement with the cables.