R20 Tweeter and Crossover Upgrade Qs

Options
I bought a set of R20s off of CL with blown tweeters, and I want to buy replacement tweeters and crossovers from Parts Express with the lofty goal of upgrading the sound - a fun EZ project for my teenage son and I. I have the choice of various crossover frequencies - 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, and 4.5 kHz. Any recommendations for these components? Thanks!!

Flip

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,560
    Options
    Why not just fix the crossover you have? Check with polk for tweeters if not search ebay for the correct tweeters. Crazy thought tweeters might be good and resistors are cooked.
    Have you checked the board?
  • FlipThomas
    Options
    I have a set of R15's - the tweeter is the same, so I swapped them out - the R15 tweeters worked in the R20, so the crossovers in the R20 are OK. This project is mostly about buying some new components, and doing a little woodworking / soldering and learning about speaker building with my son. Just trying to make the best component selection upfront.
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,047
    edited December 2018
    Options
    So.
    You're planning on mucking about with speakers & modifying them a bit just so you can spend some time with your son?
    Maybe discovering what works & what doesn't work? Together?

Rock on.
    There's no speaker made that is more precious than that.
    Have fun.

I'd look roughly around the 3.0 -.3.5k range
  • FlipThomas
    Options
    You got it! Thanks! 3-3.5 kHz seems right, and if we have to buy a couple to see what the effect is all the better. $ and fun before common sense for this project.