RTA 12C

Options
Multiple questions.

Recently purchased a pair of early 12C. Thanks to all who participated in informing me on how to clean them up. I had mentioned that they sounded 'dull' when I first put them on (decent, not great), so I did a little digging. Turns out both fuses were gone on them. One had a Buss 3 and the other a Buss 1. From my googling and searching the forums a .75 fuse is required, but I'm not sure where to get one. For lack of a solution I picked up some Buss 3 and they definitely perked up.... the tweeters weren't firing.

1. Which are the correct fuse and where can I find them (I'm sure ebay or Amazon)

2. Now that they are playing with a tweeter they seem to be missing a lot in low end and mid low range.

How do I test these? multimeter?

What am I looking for when I test values? I'm not necessarily intuitive, but I can follow step by step directions.

I'm currently using 12 gauge speaker wire (AR) with a Denon AVR4800 in direct mode. My source at the moment is a pc using a fibre out playback with foobar (flac/ 24/16 bit)

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    250v 1 amp fuse on any i had that had fuses. You could use .75 if you wish. Just do not go up more than 1 amp
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,546
    edited December 2018
    Options
    When I got mine they also had a sound issue. Turned out that the plug on the back behind the crossover was not in the correct position. You have to squeeze the fitting and make sure it is lined up correctly. Someone before me had forced them into the wrong position.

Also you may want to make sure the woofers are wired in phase. If they are out of phase bass will suffer a lot. Check not only between the woofers in each but also one speaker to the other. (Left and right speakers).

And of course make sure you did not just make a mistake when you hooked them up. Check between your left and right wiring between your amp/receiver to the speakers.

Give that a try.
  • CH46E
    edited December 2018
    Options
    myzbwe4en8rm.jpg
    b0dklmri8fxa.jpg
    7whvyxwbpqyq.jpg

Both the white wires (if they are the same colors as 12b) should be facing the front of the speaker and the single black wire in the rear.

Oh and dont mind the .999 silver coin in place of the fuse. ;);)

One more thing, when I had my Denon the pure direct mode always seemed to lack bass. Like a a lot. Try something out of pure direct and see what you think.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    Gee silver beats the snot out of copper.. lol that's awesome :D
  • maingey
    maingey Posts: 628
    edited December 2018
    Options
    CH46E wrote: »
    When I got mine they also had a sound issue. Turned out that the plug on the back behind the crossover was not in the correct position. You have to squeeze the fitting and make sure it is lined up correctly. Someone before me had forced them into the wrong position.

Also you may want to make sure the woofers are wired in phase. If they are out of phase bass will suffer a lot. Check not only between the woofers in each but also one speaker to the other. (Left and right speakers).

And of course make sure you did not just make a mistake when you hooked them up. Check between your left and right wiring between your amp/receiver to the speakers.

Give that a try.

@CH46E thanks for the response. On these it appears that there is only one way for the plug to fit - there are three grooves that need to line up with the plug. So unless this was worked on previously and the wiring into the plug is incorrect... The way the plug works out the blue wire is facing the rear.

li0b00kordgz.jpg

6cmhgrt3ipgg.jpg

• CH46E
    Options
    Ok, yours are colored differently than mine. I know they only go on one way, but someone forced it in on in the wrong position. Check phase and wiring on the woofers .

Good luck man, hope you get it worked out

They are worth the extra effort!.
  • maingey
    maingey Posts: 628
    Options
    @CH46E Thanks for the advice, it is appreciated. I don't know much about working on speakers, but am willing to learn and want these to work out. I don't know how to read the wiring diagram but if anyone knows of walkthrough documentation please let me know, it will take time but I am willing to make these right.