Rankin/Bass Stop-Motion Christmas Specials

Did anyone catch the Rankin/Bass marathon on AMC this weekend? It's not Christmastime without watching a Rankin/Bass stop-motion special. But I've never seen so many of their specials in such a short time. And do you know what I noticed? Their Christmas specials have an over abundance of redheads. I think this forum has one or two redheads as members, but I could go out and probably not run into a redhead all month. They're as common as four leaf clovers. I wonder what made the Rankin/Bass doll makers make so many redheads. Were black, brown and blonde wigs too expensive? Did they find a red wig on clearance somewhere that all this red hair came from? I think even Rudolph could be considered a redhead in their specials. Does anyone know if there is any significance to so many redheads being included in all their specials? Was this what it was like for minorities to watch an episode of Friends in the 90's, with their all white cast and extras. I have brownish-blonde hair and I feel discriminated against after watching these specials. And something else, there is no way they could get away with making such a cruel special as Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer nowadays. I used to love that special, but damn that is one cruel evil TV special. And why was the original Frosty The Snowman a cartoon and not stop-motion? Was he not worthy? And why does this forum have a Music and Movie category, but no TV category?

uvnzjue29h2n.jpg
ooe6gq9893y7.jpg
8k72geu4gwvg.jpg
xjtv9gl4om6k.jpg
b1hc0u2tcdjs.jpeg
83x8lnx30bpe.jpg
h1in637og199.jpg

Bumbles bounce! At least he has white hair!

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited December 2018
    Looks like Russ to me.

I loved those Rankin/ Bass specials then and still do.

Somebody brought some old original Rankin/ Bass dolls/props into the Pawn Stars shop. They was cool to see but the dolls were a little ragged. :#

I watched them for quite some time today going back and forth with Football games. It was great to see so many in a row. I think I even have the Rankin Box DVD set. :)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Hermitism, you ask "Why ?". I'll tell you why, and the consequences be damned darned !

It's them danged you-know-who peoples 'up North'. Always have been full of shenanigans and hooliganism, always will be.
    For instance, who thought it would be a good idea to teach bears to climb trees ? You know who: THEM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hURgA_BNSGc

Yes, that's why we can't have nice things.
    Sal Palooza
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    ^^^^^Dude that was crazy!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Best guess on the red head phenomenon is that color TVs were introduced around this time. That could be one reason.

Another possibility, but a long shot, is that they knew that one day people would become overly sensitive, and wanted to drive them into some psychotic episode that would eventually cause them to take refuge in their safe places by December 10. This would then allow the sane people a much deserved break from their incessant complaints about how offended they are by overhearing a person 45 feet away wishing somebody Merry Christmas.

As far as a tv category, the people on this forum are intelligent enough that if one were to list the actual tv under electronics and the shows under movies, they would not only figure it out, but would refrain from complaining that the thread was listed in the wrong section.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    edited December 2018
    "Russbumble" and "Jesse Avatar" do look strikingly similar. Sort of like how may people thought Michael and Janet Jackson were the same person.

They had some of those dolls on Antiques Roadshow once. Awesome! I have a dvd set with six R/B specials. Is that what you have?

That bear video is the equivalent of a 70's Kung fu movie where they float and fight with swords in the tops of trees. In the style of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

Color TV theory. Brilliant! Something I would not have thought of. Or their vision of the future was 50% of the population would have red hair.
    Post edited by Hermitism on
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I would have to go out there and check my shelves to see.

Tomorrow.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Hermitism
    Picked this up a couple years ago in a pawn shop. Seven, I thought it had six.

zjl4xi8ffgql.jpg
    7h1bvoqufev0.jpg

Rudolph is still my favorite of the bunch. I guess Rudolph and old Bugs Bunny cartoons are what made me thick skinned. They wouldn't let him play in any reindeer games! And what about that elf? He just wanted to instill good oral hygiene habits in fellow elves. What's wrong with that?
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited December 2018
    I love Rudolph & (albeit not Rankin-Bass) the Grinch and Charlie Brown (Christmas-special-wise).

• Hermitism
    I literally mourned one year because I missed A Charlie Brown Christmas. Went out and bought it on DVD, then later on Blu-ray. The Blu-ray has horrible video quality.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    I own that box set as well.
  • Hermitism
    When I bought it, the guy at the pawn shop said, "Your kids are gonna love that!"

My reply... "I have no kids."
  • rpf65
    They did a few more. Liked the Year Without Santa Clause, everybody seems to forget about that one. Heat and Cold Mizer have been making me chuckle for as long as I can remember.
  • Hermitism
    Yeah, I wish it had ALL the stop-motion specials on it. I only care about Christmas specials I saw when I was a kid. I'm a 70's kid.
  • rpf65
    One of my fondests memories was with one particular special. Every year, we would start decorating the tree when The Little Drummer Boy was on. Wasn’t until I was about 10 when I found out why. My father hated that one.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited December 2018
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism wrote: »
    I literally mourned one year because I missed A Charlie Brown Christmas. Went out and bought it on DVD, then later on Blu-ray. The Blu-ray has horrible video quality.
    I got mixed up. The Great Pumpkin Blu-ray is the one with such bad picture quality.

I got a rock!
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    I didn't like the way Rudolf's dad was always brown-nosing Santa.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited December 2018
    There were a lot of real life-lessons about "misfits" and society in Rudolph.

I like Hermey.

And exactly what is up with Yukon Cornelius and peppermint?!?

:)

Do youse guyses know the story behind the original story (written by Robert L. May for the Montgomery Wards department store)? It is touching -- heartwarming in the extreme.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_L._May
    https://life.engineering/the-touching-story-behind-rudolf-the-reindeer/
  • Hermitism
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Do youse guyses know the story behind the original story (written by Robert L. May for the Montgomery Wards department store)? It is touching -- heartwarming in the extreme.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_L._May
    https://life.engineering/the-touching-story-behind-rudolf-the-reindeer/
    Wow, what a great story! And to think it was almost Rollo The Drunken Reindeer. They wouldn't let him play in any reindeer games in fear of him getting a FWI (flying while intoxicated).

• Hermitism
    rpf65 wrote: »
    They did a few more. Liked the Year Without Santa Clause, everybody seems to forget about that one. Heat and Cold Mizer have been making me chuckle for as long as I can remember.
    I've always looked forward to the 25 Days of Christmas on ABC Family (now Freeform) because they had most of the old Christmas specials, except for this year where they are airing on AMC. Anyways, I remember about 10 years ago ABC Family made a stop-motion sequel to Year Without Santa Clause featuring the Miser Brothers. Strangely, I don't remember it ever airing again after the year it premiered.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Miser_Brothers'_Christmas