Digital Audio Workstations for Beginners

I'm looking for some advice on a Digital Audio Workstation aka music production software.

Not for myself, although I'm sure I'd dabble in it a bit, but for my pretty dang special 8 year old.

This kid has always been extremely smart for his age and I'm starting to see an interest in music to match. Lately he's been coming up with some melodies on our cheap old keyboard that we've had laying around the house, and I've been impressed.

But what really drove me to thinking about this purchase is his love for anything computer related. We have really stressed keeping the kids off of video games (somewhat successful) and time wasting apps (very successful), but when he has had the chance to work on a computer he loves it. For example he's used powerpoint to write stories and add graphics/pictures. When I'm working on spreadsheets he'll beg me to let him help. Really just anything computer related he completely devours. There's no denying that computers are going to be central to his young adult and adult life, so I thought this would be a good way to advance his development while giving him a creative outlet as well.

So what I'm looking for is a relatively easy to learn program that he will be able to grow with. I'll be with him early on to try and help him learn (although if there is a video guide he'd probably do just as well or better on his own) and to keep him from getting frustrated. But I really feel that once he gets into it this could turn into a huge passion for him.

Based on all that...any ideas? I'm doing online research right now, but first/second hand opinions would be great. I was going to just message @Clipdat this question, so I hope to hear from Drew, but there very well may be others out there that could help as well.

Another thing I'm wondering is if I'll have to upgrade my laptop. Right now I just have a junky Toshiba. I have been planning on replacing it at some point, so this might spur that as well.

Thanks!
Pro-ject 2 Experience SB, OPPO BDP-103, Marantz SR5011, Lounge LCR MKIII, McCormack DNA-HT5, Polk LSiM705, Polk LSiM706C, Polk LSiM702, SVS SB16-Ultra

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Unfortunately I'm not really sure, as I don't know that much about the production side, mostly just the DJ side of things.

If I had to make a suggestion though I'd say something with the "Acid Pro" style layout:

ACIDMS10-xlarge.jpg

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AcidPro8--magix-acid-pro-8

Honestly giving Sweetwater a call might not be a bad idea, they could probably recommend an entry level DAW more effectively than I could.

Good luck though, I think it's super cool that you're helping encourage and focus your son's creative energy!
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    edited November 2018
    FL Studio maybe?
    I wouldn't worry about the computer, I run FL Studio on my junky Lenovo laptop (4 gigs DDR3, AMD A8 core with integrated graphics, etc.) Although my experience with cheaper laptops tells me they sound awful, so maybe something like an HDMI or USB capable older AVR with a little set of bookshelf speakers would be nice. :)
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Get him involved with Raspberry Pi projects. Lots of fun stuff he can build/program/tweak with their various pieces.

Great resources online for that stuff too.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • dr1978
    dr1978 Posts: 424
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Unfortunately I'm not really sure, as I don't know that much about the production side, mostly just the DJ side of things.

If I had to make a suggestion though I'd say something with the "Acid Pro" style layout:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AcidPro8--magix-acid-pro-8

Honestly giving Sweetwater a call might not be a bad idea, they could probably recommend an entry level DAW more effectively than I could.

Good luck though, I think it's super cool that you're helping encourage and focus your son's creative energy!

Thanks as always for the helpful suggestions
    Pro-ject 2 Experience SB, OPPO BDP-103, Marantz SR5011, Lounge LCR MKIII, McCormack DNA-HT5, Polk LSiM705, Polk LSiM706C, Polk LSiM702, SVS SB16-Ultra
  • dr1978
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    FL Studio maybe?
    I wouldn't worry about the computer, I run FL Studio on my junky Lenovo laptop (4 gigs DDR3, AMD A8 core with integrated graphics, etc.) Although my experience with cheaper laptops tells me they sound awful, so maybe something like an HDMI or USB capable older AVR with a little set of bookshelf speakers would be nice. :)

When did you start with FL Studio, and how difficult was it to begin with? I'm a little worried that I'm starting too soon and it'll be a flop, but my gut tells me that he'll be able to pick it up.
  • dr1978
    Get him involved with Raspberry Pi projects. Lots of fun stuff he can build/program/tweak with their various pieces.

Great resources online for that stuff too.

Now that is a great idea! Especially since I can benefit from his builds...
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    edited November 2018
    dr1978 wrote: »
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    FL Studio maybe?

When did you start with FL Studio, and how difficult was it to begin with? I'm a little worried that I'm starting too soon and it'll be a flop, but my gut tells me that he'll be able to pick it up.

I started a couple weeks ago ( A month or two after I turned 15). It is pretty easy to use.
    My only complaint is that you have to record everything, but I assume that's what he is doing. I haven't used it much because me and my friends aren't good enough at playing our instruments yet to make anything that sounds good.
    But it is very easy to use, you just gotta figure it out (as in, it doesn't make sense at first, but once you get going, it gets really easy to use). and you can get a free trial version, which has everything the full version has, minus being able to save tracks, so you can try it, and if it works, great, if not, then you can do something else.