Problem with Oppo remote

I’ve had my UDP-203 for about six months and the remote died. Anyone else have a similar issue? What did/would you do about it?
HT- Samsung PN50B860/Integra DTR 30.3/Rt55 Fronts
Rt35i Surrounds/Cs1000p Center/SVS BP1000 Sub
2CH - B&K MC-101 pre/B&K EX-442 amp/NAD 2400 amp
Polk SDA1C, Polk Monitor 7, New Large Advents and Polk RTA 8T
BR - Yamaha CR800/Polk monitor 5

Best Answer

• Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Answer ✓
    How good is that Harmony? Is it real easy to use and relatively easy to program? Folks in this house are extremely technologically challenged. I’ve been avoiding getting one because I figure it will just be another thing that I’ll have to keep explaining how it works.

I love my Harmony remotes. Super easy to set up and use.

Answers

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,781
    Change the batteries.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    I'm pretty sure Oppo will take care of it for you, have you contacted them yet?
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Yes I have. They said remotes are not covered under warranty and they provided a link to their web site where I can buy another one. That’s not what I expected based on their reputation.
  • Upstatemax
    edited November 2018
    I have not had an issue with any of my Oppo remotes.

205, 203 and 103.

Then again, I basically never use them. 98% of the time I use a harmony remote in my systems or I use the Oppo app on my phone or tablet...

If you want a free fix, just use their app.

If you want a physical remote and don’t want to pay Oppo, get a Harmony.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,549
    edited November 2018
    Wait there's an app?
    Spill it!
  • How good is that Harmony? Is it real easy to use and relatively easy to program? Folks in this house are extremely technologically challenged. I’ve been avoiding getting one because I figure it will just be another thing that I’ll have to keep explaining how it works.
  • pitdogg2
    Well my 205 is not connected to a network sooo I'll play with the app but it may not work.
  • Upstatemax
    IIRC, they have to connected to your network to use the app.

• pitdogg2
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    IIRC, they have to connected to your network to use the app.

I seen something about point my original remote so tomorrow I'll see what's what. The app did see my network but the player is not on it.
    I'm always on my phone listening to tunes so we'll see.
    No biggie
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,045
    How good is that Harmony? Is it real easy to use and relatively easy to program? Folks in this house are extremely technologically challenged. I’ve been avoiding getting one because I figure it will just be another thing that I’ll have to keep explaining how it works.

This is the very reason I got a Harmony. The family still has trouble though because they don't use it very often. Very easy to program in my opinion. I have the Harmony One.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • We watch Netflix through the PS4. Will it turn on the PS4, TV and AVR at the same time? Will they still have to navigate through the PS4 menus to get to Netflix?
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    Yes I have. They said remotes are not covered under warranty and they provided a link to their web site where I can buy another one. That’s not what I expected based on their reputation.

I would not of expected that response either. I would call again and tell them its had issues from the beginning and that they are intermittent and you would like to send yours in to repair it or replace it, you have only had the unit for 6 months. I have the Oppo app on my phone but have never tried using it.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,045
    We watch Netflix through the PS4. Will it turn on the PS4, TV and AVR at the same time? Will they still have to navigate through the PS4 menus to get to Netflix?

You used to need an adapter for the Harmony to work with PlayStation. I'm not sure if that is the case with a PS4 though.

The harmony will turn on the AVR and TV and select the correct input. They would still have to navigate through the PS4 menus to get to Netflix.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,968
    edited November 2018
    I love the harmony smart remote with the separate base receiver. For one it’s more durable that any other remote, and it’s bluetooth to the receiver and then it IR blasts from the base all over the room to catch whatever you need. This means that it can directly control your Bluetooth devices (PS4), and you don’t have to point it at the base.

You can find tune the master commands up the wazzoo, so you might be able to get Netflix to come up automatically, but you would have to google it.

The best part is the smart remote with base is only about $60 right now, much cheaper than the other harmonys...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    @pitdogg2 @Upstatemax What r u guys using for a wireless adapter on your Oppos? Or do your units have wireless built in?
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • pitdogg2
    Mine is stand alone...
    Nothing. RCA cables to preamp.
  • Upstatemax
    stretchl wrote: »
    @pitdogg2 @Upstatemax What r u guys using for a wireless adapter on your Oppos? Or do your units have wireless built in?

My 205 is using the built in WiFi, my 203 is hardwired to the network. The 103 is not on the network at all.

The 103 is in my basement/workshop system. I'm pretty sure you need an adaptor to connect the 103 to WiFi. I think Oppo sent a WiFi adaptor with the unit, I'm just too lazy to go look for it.

The think I really like about the app for the 203/205 is that I can manage all of the music directly from my phone. Also play music thats on my phone through the Oppo.

It's good for parties or just walking around the house.
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    Two questions:

1/ are u using Remote Control or Media Control? They seem to be similar.

2/ Is the hardware directly into your computer or does it go into the wireless router, which then connects w the computer?

3/ What music server are u using on the computer? Before getting the BDP-105 I’d been accessing my iTunes library wirelessly through a squeezebox touch w rca cables then going into my preamp.

Trying to figure the best way to us the oppo’s DAC and get rid of the squeezebox.

If you’d rather email I’m at Stretch at Illinois dot edu.

Thanks so much for your help.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • Quickly scanned Oppo's website and it looks like they're going out of business.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,781
    charley95 wrote: »
    Quickly scanned Oppo's website and it looks like they're going out of business.

Not sure where you've been. They have been out of business, but will continue to service their products.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    And the only contact I've found is sending an email. Anybody know of a number lets see it.
  • Been out of the loop AV wise for quite awhile.
  • Upstatemax
    stretchl wrote: »
    Two questions:

1/ are u using Remote Control or Media Control? They seem to be similar.

2/ Is the hardware directly into your computer or does it go into the wireless router, which then connects w the computer?

3/ What music server are u using on the computer? Before getting the BDP-105 I’d been accessing my iTunes library wirelessly through a squeezebox touch w rca cables then going into my preamp.

Trying to figure the best way to us the oppo’s DAC and get rid of the squeezebox.

If you’d rather email I’m at Stretch at Illinois dot edu.

Thanks so much for your help.

I have been using “Media Control”. The “Remote Control” is the old app. After they released the 20x series with the more functional Media Control app they updated the old 10x series app to a media control version. Supposed to allow you to control media connected to your 10x series player.

To be honest, I have not used the Media Control app for the 103, yet. I have been too lazy to network it. However I have been using the 20x Media Control app and I really like it.

As for the second question, I don’t use a computer to manage my music. I have a SSD drive plugged directly into the Oppo and use the Oppo to manage my music.

To access anything in my iTunes, I can use the Media Control app to play music that’s on my phone. The music has to be ON my phone though. I have a 256GB iPhone X, so space is not too big of a concern for me.

Hope that helps!