SRS 2 (2x Blade) vs 2.3 TL. Any real listening experiences?

Hi All,

Long time monitor 7 owner, turned to a recent SRS 2 (stock) owner. Simply blown away at the awesomeness of these speakers. Now that I'm hooked (like many of you) I'm wondering if I can make the experience any better. I've compared my blade/blade SRS 2's to my Genelec 8050's and they hold up well, so I'm confident all of the components are still working well. I'm not into fixing things that ain't broke. So not looking to start replacing components. That said, I've spotted some 2.3TL's for sale and wondering of they would be a significant improvement.

I'm NOT bothered by the 13k bump of the SL2000's (maybe I'm deaf up there) but I do feel the clarity and definition of the speakers could be a little better. When reading about the SL 2000 vs SL 3000 it seems the only info offered is in regards to the more natural flat response curve of the newer tweeter. But nothing in regards to overall performance.

My question is this. Has anyone done a head to head comparison of these speakers in stock setup? Do the original driver changes, crossover updates and tweeter differences make a significant difference that it is worth purchasing the TL's (assuming they are in perfect working order as well)? Again, I'm not looking at this point in time to change to the RD tweeters and replace crossover components if all is working as they were originally intended, so please don't comment as such, I'm aware of the options.

Just looking for a real world listening comparison between generations, STOCK setup.

thanks much!

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited November 2018
    Your speakers are not performing as intended. Sound deteriorates as capacitors and other components age. All of the clarity and definition you seem to be missing would be corrected by performing the crossover upgrades and RDO tweeter swaps. These upgrades did not happen just for the heck of it. They will take your enjoyment of these speakers to another level, and restore the details lost to the effects of aged components.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    what is your power source?
  • I'm using a Yamaha MX800 amp, RME UFX as a firewire pre into my laptop streaming Tidal - HiFi and Master quality material. Also have loads of 96/24 bit material thru iTunes playback.
  • @nooshinjohn - I hear you. Part of my thinking with the 2.3TL's is that should I decide the upgrade the path to the 198's is simpler. I believe it's been said the 198's are better than the 194's?
  • I should add that I'm not missing clarity and definition - I'm actually amazed at the clarity of the reverb I can hear in the recordings, the spatial-ness and depth and noise heard in the background of recordings. I just wonder if a touch more is available. Is that why they speakers were updated at that time.

I am a musician and recording engineer, I know what real instruments sounds like. I know what amazing speakers sounds like - I've worked on the best of the best. I've always loved the Polk sound from when I was a teen (now 48) and wonder if getting the last gen will be any different.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Both are fine speakers but the 2.3tl is definitely the more musical speaker IMO. They can be upgraded for a little less coin and can be used with non-common ground amps and monobloc amps with a transformer or the AI-1 cable. SRS2 blade/blade cannot at all be used with mono's or non common ground amps. The 4th and 5th gen SDA was the cream of the crop so to speak.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    The 2.3TL is the better speaker.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    I have had both, but not compared them in the same room. Both great speakers.
    The 2.3TL is hard to beat.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited November 2018
    I have heard from many forum members here, and other forums that the 2.3tl's were considered the cream of the crop.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Have owned both pair at the same time, the 2's are actually a little tougher load as the 2.3's are a little more efficient. I'm working on another pair of 2.3TL's now, they are definely the better of the two models. Get them, you can't have too many SDA's laying around ;)
  • thanks all for the responses. I'm supposed to pick them up tomorrow. If they check out, I'll report back on my comparison of the two.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    No peeker here :D But I would like to check out your Museum some time!