industrial looking amps

Hey guys, As you know I have the Adcom gfa-555 for a good 11/12 years now and it never failed me but also not ever really hearing any other ss amps out there. Yes I know the 2 main anti Adcom raps that they might sound bright to some people and that they do not offer any DC speaker protection. A member here has one of the amps I'm going to ask if it's 1. Is it different enough sounding than the Adcom ? 2.Economical for me to afford the thing. Now, I know of the other brands like McCormack,B&K,Carver even McIntosh which in fact has a dual model. Mac has the MC2105 w the meters and if bought a walnut case which looks great. If you wanted to go w/ the industrial look they have the mc2100 both rated 105 wpc. The Mitsubishi DA-A10 DC is the 100wpc very industrial looking w/ a younger brother @ 75wpc. Also I just saw on E-Bay a combo of the amp and pre/amp screwed together looking fantastic. Guys if any of you have time w/ these I would like a comparison and does it sound that much different/better/worse than my Adcom. Also the look on it's own I like and I do have an extra pre/amp a NAD 1020a doing closet duty right now. The 1st pix will be the DA-A10DC 100wpc, Next is that connected combo that looks great. Opinions please let them roll in.....
Lew

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-MITSUBISHI-AMPLIFIER-DA-A10DC-EXCELLENT-CONDITION/202502698843?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Stereo-Amplifier-Preamp-Tuner-Mitsubishi-DA-A7DC-DA-C7-LED-Upgraded/123446434239?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc

Comments

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    No time with them and it’s not cheap enough to say go for it. They look fantastic though
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Nothing wrong with the Mits. Just remember, it has 8 days left on that auction, pretty sure it's gonna sell for a lot more.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Thanks Tony I wasn't concerned w/ e-bay just wanted to show the examples and their fairly distinctive look. I do know the forumite who said he would never part w/ his DA-10 but why ? What do they sound like compared to other 100 watters is the question of the day. If you did go w/ that combo piece one would need a big deep shelf or a nice piece of marble or butcher block plinth.. Lew
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Lew, every piece is going to have a different sound signature, some more distinct than others. Skip has positive thoughts on the DA-10, from his own hands on experience. Keep in mind, his associated gear and speakers though, you may not hear the same results he has.

More times than not, it's a trial and error thing, with your system, in your room, with your ears. Don't like it, re-sell a piece, so don't buy something unless you know you can re-sell it for the same or close to what you bought it for.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,020
    The Mitsubishi stuff was quite nice (the tuners were particularly good) but always sort of under the radar/second class in the eyes of the tastemakers :|

I don't know if those docking power amplifiers can operate as standalones?

When I think industrial, though, I think more along the lines of, e.g., this:

4kxae2u8eheo.png

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,020
    Now, if you like the looks of the Mitsubishi docking power amps, the Pioneer "Series 20" hardware might also appeal. Superb quality but not inexpensive.

s5lvegr3687x.png
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,677
    LMAO @ "docking"
  • No Doc those are more along the lines of being pulled out of a 60's living room wall size console. I saw one of those jobs last year at my GoodWill w/ a Fisher #500 slid in vertically and a Dual 1214 w/ a Shure MKv III. I went back the next day w/ some cash just for the Fisher and the Dual tone arm was gone,presumably stolen because they did not want to part this out. It was very long. I never did see what kind of drivers it had. Still no comparison side by side or A/B. The forumite who has this amp and others will know the answer I'm looking for. I need a A/B side by side test.