First time setup, need some basic advice and a sub recommendation

Options
Hopefully this is the better sub-forum for this question, if its not i apologize.

Relatively new here, have done some searching around but I have some relatively basic questions regarding the setup Ive compiled before I throw it all together this weekend.

What I have now:

Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR676
Center: Polk Lsim704c
Towers: Polk Rti A7s
Surround: Klipsch R15Ms

My main questions are,
1. is the NR676 enough? Planning to remove the jumper and Bi-Amp the A7s. I went pretty cheap and basic for my first receiver thinking I can wait on a great deal on something high end, but maybe its better to just splurge now? ( the 676 is the one part of this setup I can return/exchange)

2. What polk sub would be appropriate with this setup? I probably wont add one until close to Xmas, but Id like to add something thats a similar quality to this setup.

3. Im looking at eventually adding the FXiA6s to replace the R15ms, so i can return those to their own setup, and to complete my polk living room, that would make sense right?

Thanks!

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Replace the center with the CSiA6 so your front stage is timbre matched. Very important.

Do NOT attempt to bi-amp the A7's. For starters it's not even close to bi-amping and secondly it'll drain what little power per channel is available from your AVR.

For a sub, SVS, HSU, Rythmik.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,048
    Options
    If, as you say, you can return/exchange the Onkyo I would.
    I'd suggest something with pre-outs so you can add a true amp down the road if you wish. The A7s will thank you.

Which one totally depends on your budget.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I agree with all of the above.

Please do not bi-amp your speakers. F1nut is 1,000% right. Best bet is to replace the brass jumper with speaker wire.
    9vqirn2o04bv.jpg

When I did this I did a blind test on my kids. I did only one speaker. after a few days both kids were saying there is something wrong with my stereo. One speaker sounds way better than the other.

If you can return the Onkyo, do it. Get a Yamaha, Denon or Marantz.

Sub, SVS and HSU are great can't go wrong with either brand.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music