Question about powering 5Jr+'s

Options
Hi, I am kind of a newb, and not very technical in terms of science and math (that is why I am just a dumb lawyer. ;-) ). But anyway, I have acquired an Onkyo TX-822 which is rated at 50w per side, but says the speakers should be 8 ohm minimum in the literature that came with the receiver. As I understand it, the 5jr+ is rated at 6 ohm. Can this receiver drive them nicely in a relatively small space? (12x20 room?)

Comments

• sunvalleylaw
    Options
    Here is where I am getting the info on the speakers. https://polksda.com/pdfs/MonitorReference2.pdf
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    Options
    You should be fine as long as you're not trying for rock concert volume levels.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    I am using a 55wpc HK receiver with mine and it drives them just fine.
  • sunvalleylaw
    Options
    Thanks. @F1nut No, would not be rock concert volumes in this small office. Might crank it up just a little after work if no one is around, but in that small space, I would guess I would not have the dial up all that high.

Also, I need to make sure I am using these numbers correctly. In the light of morning, I am seeing that all the Polk speakers at that time were rated at 6 ohms "nominal impedance." I found an Onkyo instructional manual at HiFi Engine that lists musical power output at 2 x 95 w at 4 ohms, 2 x 68 watts at 8 ohms, and continuous power output at 2 x 50 at 4 ohms and 2 x 45 at 8 ohms.

Am looking for a "Impedance for Dummies" or something sort of article or youtube video to help me understand how it works, for my edification and knowledge as I dive back into this stuff.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    If the Denon is rated for 4 ohm, then you'll have no prob driving the 5jrs. That's the short answer. Someone with a bit more time on their hands can get down to the nitty gritty (on lunch). Just know that a speaker does not present a stable load to an amp. It curves based on frequency.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    Options
    I found an Onkyo instructional manual at HiFi Engine that lists musical power output at 2 x 95 w at 4 ohms, 2 x 68 watts at 8 ohms, and continuous power output at 2 x 50 at 4 ohms and 2 x 45 at 8 ohms.

They used to rate power a bit differently years ago. Basically forget the "musical power output" rating and go with the continuous. The sign of a beefy amp is when the 4 ohm rating is double the 8 ohm.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,387
    Options
    I powered 2 pair (separate systems) of 5jr+ with a parasound 1200, krell amp 500w and no problem, just no distortion, that will cause problems not "clean power".
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable