Question about HT build....

Trying to help a friend out who has a beautiful new basement HT / bar setup. He is getting an epson projector with 11’ acoustically transparent screen. He is dead set on in wall speakers and I recommended the Polk 265 RT for fronts and the 255 c-Ls for the center. I have heard them before and was really impressed. He is a contractor so he can frame the rears any way he wants but they will have to be ceiling mounted. I have heard many of the ceiling mount speaker options and was relatively unimpressed. My question is would it / could it make sense to frame in supports to mount 265’s for rear ceiling mounts as well? We are going with an svs sub as well. He has it wired for 7.1 so may expand to surrounds later depending on his preference.

Any advice on if the rear 265’s will work? If not which ceiling mounts would timbre match with them? Are the ceiling mounts improved - they’ve sounded hollow and tinny to me in the past.

The room is approximately 30’ long and 22’ wide with 10’ ceilings and will require treatments as the walls will be rock and the floors ceramic. All drywall work is backed with duraroc (so?) and ceiling has 5/8” acoustic paneling. There will likely be a lot of reflection that will have to be taken care of with all of the hard surfaces......but that’s for another day.
Shawn
AVR: Marantz SR-5011
Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
Front: Polk LsiM703
Rear: LSI fx
Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
DVD Player: Sony PS4

Comments

• scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Hey Shawn - the from three you mention are not timbre matched. The 265-RT use a silk dome tweeter and the 255 c-LS uses a ring radiator tweeter.

The RT in-wall speakers are comparable to the RTi line, where the LS in-wall speakers are comparable to the LSi line. I’d focus on getting a timbre matched front 3 first. If he goes with the LS line (higher end), I’d recommend the 80 f/x-LS in-ceiling surrounds and the 500, 700, or 900 LS rear surrounds.

I have LSi-7 & LSiM 704c front 3, the 80f/x-LS surrounds, and the 700 LS rear surrounds and really like them. I replaced my LSi-f/x surrounds with the 80f/x-LS in- ceiling speakers and am extremely happy with them. Keep in mind that surrounds don’t really carry that much. I can say that when mine do, they wow us! We were watching the Haunting the other night and some knocks and breaking glass came from the right/rear and scared the crap out of us!
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    Thanks Al; much appreciated. Exactly the information I was looking for
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4