Amplifier Terminal Strips

zingozingo AudiophilePosts: 11,690
I like my new little Hafler P1000 MOSFET amp, but it has terminal strips for the speaker connections whiech is not ideal. Has anyone done a 5-way binding post swap on an amp?

sgd8oocbxvqa.jpeg

Comments

• F1nutF1nut Posts: 40,631
    Yes. Your pics are too fuzzy to get a good look, but it should be possible to do on any amp as long as there is a bit of real estate on the back panel.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• ClipdatClipdat Posts: 4,965
    pgi4qhm3sdpyhai97hek.jpg
  • mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 2,332
    could you unscrew the screws, and then screw in little add-ons for binding posts? that's the kind of thing I'm sure someone makes somewhere.
    Micah

Main system: Technics SL3200, Shure M97xE, Lafayette LR1100 for tuner, Hagerman Audio Labs Bugle 2 phono stage, NAD C352 integrated, Boston Acoustics VR 2, Boston PV500, generic ICs, and BJC Belden speaker cables.

Desktop: Dell Precision 690 running iTunes, Yamaha RX-v665, Monitor Audio R90s, Velodyne VA-907, generic ICs and speaker cables.
    I've always thought the goal of high-end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 11,480
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    could you unscrew the screws, and then screw in little add-ons for binding posts? that's the kind of thing I'm sure someone makes somewhere.

Too close to screw 4 binding post if they made such a critter.
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 3,605
    I've seen people fashion their own for vintage McIntosh gear.

5fqi0ldsjbo0.jpg
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Too close to screw 4 binding post if they made such a critter.

Couldn't someone make some sort of something to space it out though?
    I'll draw my idea later when I have some spare time...
    Micah

Main system: Technics SL3200, Shure M97xE, Lafayette LR1100 for tuner, Hagerman Audio Labs Bugle 2 phono stage, NAD C352 integrated, Boston Acoustics VR 2, Boston PV500, generic ICs, and BJC Belden speaker cables.

Desktop: Dell Precision 690 running iTunes, Yamaha RX-v665, Monitor Audio R90s, Velodyne VA-907, generic ICs and speaker cables.
    I've always thought the goal of high-end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.

Couldn't someone make some sort of something in their spare time though?
    I'll draw my idea later when I am spaced out...

^^^^ Micah, someone who is dyslexic may have read your comment this way. :p
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 11,480
    Viking64 wrote: »
    I've seen people fashion their own for vintage McIntosh gear.

5fqi0ldsjbo0.jpg

That is a short just waiting to happen....

I've seen these used

https://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-gold-plated-barrier-spade-lug-connector-screw-type--095-678
  • DaveHoDaveHo Posts: 2,023
    These should work to make them banana plug compatible.

bjeda6kycguw.jpg
    DaveHo wrote: »
    These should work to make them banana plug compatible.

bjeda6kycguw.jpg

These look like they would work, at least as a temporary solution.
    Now I'm tempted to grab some for my Lafayette.
    Micah

pitdogg2 wrote: »
    That is a short just waiting to happen....
    Yeah, I thought the same thing. That may be fine for a quick test, but I wouldn't put it in my rack like that. Particularly if I had a cat that liked to play hide and seek. :p
  • zingozingo Audiophile Posts: 11,690
    It looks like PE doesn't carry them anymore, so I'll look for another source, or maybe smaller spade that fit those terminals.
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 4,758
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Peachtree Audio Nova Integrated; Bryson BPD-1; Mains: Dynaudio Emit 10 + MartinLogan Dynamo (original) sub; Center - Polk cs400i; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - SVS PB10-ISD; LG UP870 4K BDP

Master Bedroom
    Marantz SR-5007; Peachtree Audio NovaPre; Audiosource Amp Two, PSB Imagine B, Boston VR-10 center, NHT Super One CI surrounds, ACI Titan subwoofer, Squeezebox Touch
    Thanks! I never shop on Amazon, but that's probably a huge blind spot I should clearly remove. :)
    0ogdzhgh9ot5.jpeg
    I'd be worried about a short set up like that, can you flip every other one over, so it is underneath?
    Very cool, either way. :)
    Micah

I was going to put an insulator between them, but flipping them every other is a great idea!