MIT S3 interconnects on their way!

Options
madmax
madmax Posts: 12,434
edited May 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
They should arive on monday. Wish me luck!
madmax
Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
Post edited by madmax on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Luck? You don't need luck with those cables, you're going to love them!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2004
    Options
    With or without the jumpers? :D
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • madmax
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    With or without the jumpers? :D

Maybe its just too early in the morning but I'm not getting it. :)

I ordered a 1M pair to go from the DAC to the preamp and a 10 ft pair from the preamp to the amps. I don't even know what I'm hoping for but I hope its better. Maybe a blacker sound behind the music, better soundstage or more detail? I'm not sure what to expect. I hope they do more than just look good.
    madmax

• F1nut
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Madmax,

Tour is refering to my experience with the bi-wire speaker cables. Of course, jumpers have nothing to do with IC's.

Did you get my email?

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Allow for burn in with the MIT. It made a VERY noticeable difference, especially in the bass in my rigs.

Does this mean we might see come Viper's up for grabs soon?

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • madmax
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Corals, no. I only bought a couple of the MIT's so the Corals will move down the food chain to my low life SACD player.
    madmax

• madmax
    edited April 2004
    Options
    So you didn't like the terminator series?

• madmax
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Initial thoughts after 4 hours. (They say 100 hours are required before the results are reasonable).

First of all I only received the 1M which goes from my CD to the preamp which replaces a pair of $60 Phoenix Gold IC's. (Very unique in bang for the buck in my opinion). From the preamp to the amp is still my Audioquest Corals.

No joy. Well maybe a little. On my best material all seems to be the same. One CD seems to stand out. The Cars Candy-O. Previously it was all mid bass but now all of a sudden it has some lower bass cues which were not there previously. The voice seems to be a little more up front and more reasonable. This CD is a favorite music wise but the presentation really sucks. It seems a lot more reasonable right now. Not nearly as tiring to listen to. If I had to form an opinion right now I would say this set of cables made a very small improvement on only the worst material.

BUT...

We are only into it for 4 hours. Lets see if it gets any better.

madmax

• madmax
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I let the CD player run over night for 8 hours. After getting home from work I fired it up again, let it play for about 3 hours then sat down for some serious listening. I started with a country group called Hadacol. It has very strong guitar at the far left and right, vocals in the middle with various other sounds located in various positions in the soundstage. I couldn't tell any difference. After that I played CSN&Y "So Far". This has always been a favorite as far as recording quality and soundstage goes. It actually sounded different than it had previously. (I know this CD inside out). Sounds have noticeably been let go from the speakers. This CD has always been very good for soundstage from left to right. It now has about 3' of depth that it didn't use to have. I listened to the whole CD twice because it was really messing with me mentally. :D

Summary:
    After 16 hours burn in one CD sounds the same and another has gained about 3' of depth. (not an easy thing for SDA's to do!)

Today my other cables should arive. They go from my preamp to the amps. They were used for a few months so hopefully they will not require such a long burn in.

madmax

• madmax
    edited April 2004
    Options
    My other cables (same ones, just longer) arrived yesterday. I hooked them up between the preamp and amps. I let it play for about 4 hours before any serious listening. We are at 20 hours on the new 1M set and 4 hours on the used set. (I am going to assume the used set may be close to being broken in).

The bass was slightly enhanced both in volume and positioning. The system sounded much different. I think the Corals going from the preamp to the amps were limiting a lot of what the MIT's were doing. Now they are adding on each other.

The center image, although very strong previously, now sounds more real and has a little depth. It used to sound somewhat limited in frequency response on many recordings and fake on others but now it is pretty much full range. The center image is almost totally detached from the left and right on the few recordings I've tried. When only the center image is playing it gets real scary. I keep looking for the speaker which is not there and look at the left and right speaker in disbelief that I cannot detect them playing.

With both pairs of cables in place the sound initially seemed darker. What I was perceiving as a loss of treble was really loss of treble edge as all the real sounds are still there.

Summary:
    After 20 hours with both pair of cables the bass is more pronounced with better positioning. The center image is more real and has a better frequency response. It is also even more detached from the left and righ and has a little more depth. A small edge on the treble is no longer there.

Right now for the first time I consider these cables were worth the cost to me. They took care of some long time problems and brought the system to the next level. Even if they do not improve beyond this point I am happy but it is my understanding they need close to 100 hours to sound their best. I must say I'm a little surprised at the difference burn in makes.

This is a lot of fun but I hope I'm not boring anyone...

madmax

• dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Very interesting. :)
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • F1nut
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Your findings are on par with my experience, great isn't it!?!

President of Club Polk

• madmax
    edited April 2004
    Options
    F1, so you have the same ones and found the same results? Great minds think alike... I have absolutely no second thoughts whatsoever. I must say I took a leap of faith here with the idea I could pretty easily re-sell them. That won't be necessary.

I found one 1M pair from an internet seller NIB for $220 and a pair of 10 FT used for 3 months for $340. List was $400 and $500. I paid a little more for the 10 ft ones because they are not as common as the 1M. Let me say this, the upgrade was not as dramatic as my CD/DAC but was well worth the money spent.

I would not recommend them unless used with equal quality equipment. One thing I was worried about was that maybe my SDA-SRS were already at their quality limit. That was not the case. They responded to the upgrade with flying colors!

madmax

• F1nut
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Madmax,

I'm using MIT Shotgun S1 interconnects and MH-750 Shotgun bi-wires with M3 jumpers. I don't recommend using bi-wires, just go for the best single runs you can afford. I totally agree that these would be a waste if your gear isn't up for them.

President of Club Polk

• dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited April 2004
    Options
    What type of gear are we talking?
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • madmax
    edited April 2004
    Options
    F1,
    I was seriously considering the S1's or S2's but I didn't think I was going to hear this much difference and so I wasn't willing to give up the cash. As of now I guess I would. The thing we all have to keep in mind is that there will allways be something better out there. PLEASE shoot me if I ever buy a $2K interconnect.

The equipment? How silly to give a review without mentioning the associated equipment. Sorry about that. Below is the equipment used in the evaluation. I calculated the cost of the new cables as being 6.67% of the total MSRP cost.

Theta Data Basic II transport
    AudioNote DAC 1.1 kit
    Modulus 3A preamp
    Manley Lab-100 Mono tube amps
    SDA-SRS speakers
    Assorted aftermarket power cables
    Audioquest Type IV speaker wire
    VibraPods on transport, DAC, and preamp
    Average mix of tubes

MSRP: $13,500
    Scroungers cost: $5300

• madmax
    edited April 2004
    Options
    There are a few reasons.

#1: It is always in a shambles because of trading components around and trying new things.

#2: Because of #1 it never looks the same for more than a few weeks.

#3: Although I would be into it I won't until I have things set up in a more suitable way (like wardsweb's setup). Call me a perfectionist if you like but in reality I am just disorganized. I did buy some racks last year in an attempt to give the system look a little class.

#4: Oh man, you mean I have to figure out how to post the pics...

madmax

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited April 2004
    Options
    MAX,
    Try some Audioquest Granite speaker cable next. I had Type 4 (2 sets bi-wired) and replaced them with a single set (non-biwired) of Granites, I've never looked back. Deeper, more refined bass and absolutley grainless treble. Midrange was edged forward just a touch (much needed). Ask I-SIG his impression's for a more objective review, he was down last weekend listening to my system.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • F1nut
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Madmax,

Yes, great minds do think alike! :D

I believe the biggest difference as you move from S3's to S1's is a tad better bass. That said, I would like to move up to the Magnum M1's next......don't know when, but it's in the plan.

Steve,

I mean no disrespect, but I'm a firm believer in using the same brand for all my cables, especially with MIT as they are rather unqiue. Therefore I would recommend that Madmax do the same if he's so inclined.

Sean,

Ok, one day. Like Madmax, I feel as though it's not polished enough yet. Gotta redo the floors and stuff like that.

President of Club Polk

• madmax
    edited April 2004
    Options
    F1,
    When you upgrade let me know. Maybe we can work out a deal.

As far as the speaker cables go I am going to try the Polk "Cobra" cables next. I have had them laying around for over a year. They scare me a little. They are a perfect transmission line acording to Matt Polk. This is not a good thing for many SS amps as it allows a very high frequency feedback problem which can destroy some of them. Since I have tubes I am going to take a chance on them. (tubes roll off the really high frequencies (above 40 khz which should keep them from destroying themselves). Or so Matt says...

Does anyone remember exactly what he said about them when we were at polk headquarters?

madmax

BTW, I am up to 40 hours burn in but won't bore you with the details since I didn't do any serious listening. Man, it is hard to get 100 hrs burn in without just letting the system go when you are not around. I just cannot do that.

• F1nut
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by madmax
    Does anyone remember exactly what he said about them when we were at polk headquarters?

The only thing I remember is that they kill amps! :eek:

Where did you find a pair of those??? I want to see them. :D

President of Club Polk

• pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Congrats Madmax on finding some wire that helped make a difference in your system.. Awesome! Nice review.
    Man, it is hard to get 100 hrs burn in without just letting the system go when you are not around. I just cannot do that.

Ed Zachry! I'm fighting burning in 5 DIY powercords right now. Taking effin forever it seems.
  • madmax
    edited April 2004
    Options
    A fellow polkie got them for me. They are very rare. Very cool wire. It is flat with red and green wire braided in a snake skin looking pattern. Very cool. I've read in a few articles that if you take 4 of them and wire in parallel that it is about the best wire you can have (so long as you don't have some particular problems. :D The problem you can have, as I remember it, is that since it is a perfect transmission line you can get a feedback in the RF frequency range which pretty much turns it into a radio station transmitter. This pulls so much power out of the amp that it burns up. This is in the 100khz+ range which the tubes will not support. It is my understanding that if the tubes cannot operate in that range that the feedback cannot occur.

Thanks for the comments on the review. I've tried to be as objective as I can. I was perfectly willing to report I couldn't hear a difference. Some of the differences I've noted are small but they make a big difference in presentation. I am amazed now that such delicate sound differences effect what you hear in the way it does. Not what I expected at all.

madmax

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Max - I just received mine today, and have had them hooked up for about 4 hours. I picked up 2 pairs of S3 IC's and an 8ft. S 3 speaker cable. What a nice speaker cable/interconnect...it's sexy in an audio way huh? I knew about MIT burn-in thru Jesse, and without a doubt these things change as they get warmed up.

My sibilance is finally gone, thank goodness. I am going to pop in the Mullards I have, when these cables get tuned up. I should have my system rack by next Wednesday, so I can start cleaning this place up :D It looks like an MIT rat's nest!

How have they been going since your have more time on them?

I will do some more critical listening after my setup gets clean.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • madmax
    edited May 2004
    Options
    I think you will like them. They really do need at least 50 hours burn in. I am still very happy with mine. Some day I may even move on to the S1's. I would have never thought these cables could make such a difference before trying them. Everyday I find my system becoming better and smoother. With my cheaper cables the system seemed limited.
    Let us know your findings!
    madmax

• dorokusai
    edited May 2004
    Options
    I'm set for good as far as MIT. I don't feel there's any need to move any further, lest it be into the realm of diminishing returns.

They sound excellent, look excellent, why bother IMO :)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • madmax
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Have you tried different switch settings?

• dorokusai
    edited May 2004
    Options
    I had one set on Low by mistake, then switched it to Med per the spec's....but I didn't hear anything different. I really think you would have to have test equipment set up to tell any difference.

That or be a Bat :)

Did you?
  • madmax
    edited May 2004
    Options
    ATC, I have no problem with the demo idea.

Doro, send ATC one of your cables for a demo... :D

• dorokusai
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by ATCVenom
    Jesse, Mark, and Mad all owning the same cables. Im feeling so left out *sniff sniff*.. oh Im sure someone wouldnt mind loaning theres out for a few days demo eh! eh!?

It's a Maryland thing, no Virginians allowed ;)