Blu Ray Pricing

Options
Have anyone else notice the sudden sharp raise in prices of Blu Ray over that last few months? This bucks the trend of pricing going down when newer formats/models come out. With the wide availability of 4k now prices should have gone down, but not in this case, prices on Amazon at Walmart are going up fast and hard for the same movies that were $20-$22 dollars are now going in the range of $26-$29 dollars. SMH
Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX

Comments

• Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    Options
    I dunno, regular Blu rays can he had for cheap if it’s an older movie. Got all of the lotr movies on Blu Ray from the wal mart $5 bin. Just released 4K UHD movies are pricey though. $25-$30 depending
  • krazypolk
    Options
    Perhaps tariffs.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,958
    Options
    Are Blu Rays actually made in the USA? The majority of content is 'made' here (and ripped off by the Chinese), but not sure about the actual shiny discs...
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Prices of new releases are definitely up. Last year, the 4K version of a movie was around $25 and a Blu Ray was around $20. Now the pricing on a new release Blu Ray can be at $25 and the 4K at $30. May just be because the economy is doing well the studios think more people have more disposable income.

I also see it as an issue where new releases are sold in multiple formats, and when buying a new release Blu Ray a buyer gets more than one format in the case whether they want it or not. Here's an example:

Jurassic World with Amazon pricing as of today:
    List is $39.98 for the Blu Ray or $44.95 for the 3D Blu Ray
    4K version is $27.95 (4K, Blu Ray, Digital HD in the case)
    3D Blu Ray version is $29.96 (3D Blu Ray, Blu Ray, Digital HD in the case)
    Blu Ray version is $24.96 (Blu Ray, DVD, Digital HD in the case)
    DVD version is $17.96 (just a DVD in the case, but easy to rip and stream it!)
    Prime Video version is $19.99 (has its benefits in being able to watch wherever)

Wait a while and the prices will drop. Amazon may even have it on Prime Video for free in a couple of months!

But, as it is there is tier pricing for perceived quality. Sometimes I see a Blu Ray priced lower than the DVD version after a couple of months if they aren't selling as well as hoped.

Once the newness factor has worn off a Blu Ray release the pricing plummets. The first Sicario movie is being sold on Amazon today for $4 (and that's for three formats):

https://www.amazon.com/Sicario-Blu-ray-DVD-Digital-HD/dp/B01638AYR6/ref=sr_1_4?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1536970419&sr=1-4&keywords=sicario&dpID=618w2SUW8UL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Most of the Blu Rays I see these days are made or at least assembled in Mexico.
  • krazypolk
    Options
    4 bucks for a blu ray?
    Yeah, that sounds about right.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    Assembled!?! You mean someone puts the disc in the case.....man, that's got to be one tough job.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• krazypolk
    Options
    Now if you would have said reassembled.lwyk01m9bmlg.jpg
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    I stick to used... Average price is 10 to 15 only days after the release.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    ...May just be because the economy is doing well the studios think more people have more disposable income.

Bingo
  • simm
    simm Posts: 562
    Options
    I read somewhere that studios were trying to go back to the rental model where initial pricing was higher and it dropped after several months. That seems to be the case. I find myself purchasing way fewer movies than I did back in heyday of DVD. Part of that is the quality of films being released and part is just a burnout on movies/TV in general. For the last 3-4 years I have been much more interested in music.
  • recoveryone
    recoveryone Posts: 885
    edited September 2018
    Options
    one of the issues with this new model is that it gives services like Vudu and others a leg up as their prices remain steadfast. This weeks release of "Solo" was priced at $20 For HD and $24 for UHD compared to $27 for Blu ray at Amazon and Walmart. In past purchases I have gotten blu rays with Digital code and DVD copy between $19-$22 so the higher cost can't be attributed to extra formats in the package.
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX