gettin a new computer...

13»

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2004
    oo, and just to give you an idea of what my current computer is, the earliest date i can find on the computer is 1994
    so im guessing it was made in 1994
    ive got 40MB of ram and two hard drives, both have a whopping 1027MB each...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited April 2004
    Cody, cody cody......
    I'm just too lazy to read ALL 3 pages yall have summoned while I have been busy the last few days...
    but here's what I have to say:
    BUILD IT YOURSELF, PLEASE!!!!!!!!
    or I"LL build it for you...
    but damn... if you don't need the absolutely newest thing on the market, there are plenty of places to find nice parts. but other than that, here are my reccomendations:

processor: You're right, buying a great processor now means that you dont waste on a so-so one, then throw it away later when you upgrade.

Memory: yes, 1024mb (1GB) of RAM is very good.

Hard drives: Go with the fastest of the fast....
    cody.... my hard drives cost $10 a gig, I paid $180 for my 18GB drive, and it's worth every penny... I run SCSI... the best.
    \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/
    Serial ata is a new, but cheap alternative that will get you great results, without breaking your back like mine... so why would you not take advantage of it with the faster drive?
    >> no matter what, do not get a quantum drive... they die... go for maxtor or seagate if plausible.

Office XP Pro and Windows XP Pro
    FYI, you can cut all the fancy b/s outta win XP and make it run great... but the platform itself is the most stable AND user friendly.

Other than that... have fun selecting things... they arent as important:
    for games i reccomend an NVidia card with at least 128MB, and you can get one with cable input where you can watch and record tv on it ;)
    Sound... if you write music get a roland midi card or something nice, or a digidesign audiomedia card if you work with analog only.

ok, well i have posted a big post here, but i hope it helps..
    try not to spend yourself silly...
    -Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited April 2004
    Jerry, you're a little late...believe me, there are a few others who have TRIED to get cody to build his own, but since he's not an IT professional, he could probably use the warranty/service agreement. I'm with you on the Video card, but that isn't an option in his case. As for the SATA drives, they've been proven to benchmark as much as 150% faster, but others don't think they're as reliable. I don't know about that, but it's not my computer, so Cody will do what he thinks is best. Better have something reliable and maybe a touch slower than something new and faster, but possibly not as completely developed... ::shrug:: I think in all, it'll be a dang nice computer, whatever he decides :)
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited April 2004
    cody - as far as software -- i'll send you a copy of everything i've got... with the cracks - do with it what u will... u'll prolly use some and not others... i would suggest using MS Office XP and DVD X Copy though, they're great programs.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    sweet
    do you still have my address, if not, shoot me an email at exalted512@yahoo.com
    once again, you save me a **** load of money...lol
    -Cody
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited April 2004
    well.. I think cody said the 'rents are paying so it's not a terrible deal any way. I haven't worked with sata, but it can't bee too bad I guess....
    What I don't get is SCSI has a 68 wire ribbon (34 signals), while sata has 4?!? also, they built all that cool serial interface stuff, and yet they couldnt make it where you can run more than 2 drives? or is it one per connector on the board?

also what is up with the wierd sata power cable? why didn't they just stick with the old connector, it has much more contact area. besides, the power connector for sata is over an inch wide and has like 8 pins in it... maybe 1/10th the connector?? I'm really confused about that.

Man, I think I'll stick with my old scsi... 40MBps isnt too bad, and one day I might go with the new 320MBps stuff... but why is sata such a half-assed attempt at a atapi version of scsi?
    -jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    ok i was at the dell site again, and they changed their options up again
    but now they have the serial ATA 250GB HD as a free upgrade
    i HAD put to ultra 80GB HDs
    should i switch?
    i mean...its 150 dollars cheaper to go with the single 250 than the dual 80...
    so would i be getting more for less?
    im kinda getting down to the wire on this so fast replies are welcomed greatly!!
    -Cody
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited May 2004
    Just order the damn thing already!!

;)
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    lol
    this could save me some money though...
    -Cody
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited May 2004
    get the free upgrade. do it. do it.
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    thats what i was thinking, but im going to wait on some replies first
    -Cody
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited May 2004
    Cody, definitely do it. That's a great upgrade and I think you'll really be happy with it.
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited May 2004
    Friends DON"T let friends buy Dells!!!!

If you are set on a Dell, I suggest calling their tech support line with a question about the machine. If you speak middleeastern,
    you should be able to understand that they are no help at all!

I bought a Dell Latitude laptop a while back & will not buy anything from Dell again EVER after comparing notes with others who made the mistake of buying a Dell.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    IMO, theres no mainstream computer out there that compares to dell
    HP is crap
    and besides...its too late...itll be here friday
    woohoo
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited May 2004
    cool, i hope u like it (you should, it's pretty close to top-end for the standard consumer, wow). if you want a couple tips on setting the thing up, i can offer what i've done.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs