Josh-

exalted512
exalted512 Posts: 10,735
edited April 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Any plans on recalling or remaking the grills with ones that wont get hit by the sub?
j/w...
-Cody
Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
Post edited by exalted512 on

Comments

• Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited April 2004
    I've never seen the woofers hit the grill.
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited April 2004
    That's one of the reasons why I'm holding off a bit on the MM12...the comment pages and reviews are full of people whose sub is hitting the grille, sometimes even at lower volume.
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    when i get my new digital camera ill take a video...
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2004
    then again, how much are you overdriving your subs by, cody?
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    no more than 75 watts
    i was hitting the grills with the amp that POLK recommended i get(the old bd1000)
    -Cody
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited April 2004
    You know, if I had an issue as simple and quite silly as a sub hitting a grille, I would not complain about it. I'd either get a new grille that worked with the sub or get some spacers to push the grille farther out and stop it from getting hit by the sub.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited April 2004
    What seems silly to me is that it's not a "custom" box or grille that came separately from the Sub. The sub, box, and the grille were all designed together and intended to be used that way. When it is hitting the grille only by using the power recommended by the manufacturer itself, that seems silly. Recommending that one purchase a new grille because the one made by the manufacturer itself doesn't perform correctly seems a little silly to me; wouldn't you agree?
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • Jstas
    edited April 2004
    No, I wouldn't and I already said that. If the manufacturer did not experience this issue in testing then I don't see how they could possibly see in to the future and predict that people would have issues. Every setup, every box, every sub is different, even just slightly. If someone puts a box in that is just a tad too large or small, it could end up affecting Xmax adversely.

If you have an issue with it, call Polk Audio and let them know. Me, I wouldn't care. I could get a new grille for less than 10 dollars, not necessarily a MOMO grille but if that one strikes the sub then why replace it with a similar item? Otherwise, I'd go spend 5 extra bucks, get some plastic body panel spacers from an auto-parts store and grab some longer, open-stock wood screws from Home Depot and fix the oversight myself. I guess it's just me. I'd rather deal with the problem quickly and effectively and get back to enjoying my music and stereo rather than chime in with a million other people and complain to no end about it. I'm sure Polk Audio is knowledgable of the problem and if you call them up, they may already have a simple and easy fix for it.

Personally, it's just not that big of a problem to me. Now if something like the spider was seperating or the tinsel leads were breaking then yeah, sure as hell I'd be complaining. That is a major defect. But a cone that rubs a grille, I'd either modify the grille or fix the way it is mounted.

• exalted512
    edited April 2004
    well, the reason i dont want to put spacers is b/c i dont want to see space b/t the box and the grille
    im going to eventually dremel it out, but i was wondering if they were going to redesign their grill so they wont hit
    they shouldve made them with mech. x-max in mind, that way, no matter what size the box, it will not hit the grill unless the sub itself is coming apart
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    hmmm, yeah, it didn't come across as accusatory or complaning to me - he just asked if they were taking the fact into consideration next time around. whether or not he's going to fix them, whose fault it is, none of it really matters - what's done is done, and he was just bringing the matter to their attention in case they hadn't heard of it already.

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2004
    Cody-
    How old is that sub? If it was one of the first run, they were recalled due to glue bond failure. If you bought it within the past year, you might have other problems.

The issue we had with the glue failure was that the production line was testing the subs before the glue was cured making it a weak bond. We remedied this by running two beads of glue (one on the inside of the spider and one on the outside) and letting the glue fully cure.

The spider and cone would seperate causing the cone to hit the grill. If you had it in your trunk, you might have not noticed it for a while.
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    i hope its not the problem considering i already sent a pair of mm124s in for the same problem, thus meaning you guys gave me defective subs when i gave you my defective subs...
    im sure the problem is im overpowering them, but only by around 80 watts...
    might want to take that into account next time you make the grills...just a friendly suggestion:D
    -Cody
  • Jstas
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by neomagus00
    hmmm, yeah, it didn't come across as accusatory or complaning to me - he just asked if they were taking the fact into consideration next time around. whether or not he's going to fix them, whose fault it is, none of it really matters - what's done is done, and he was just bringing the matter to their attention in case they hadn't heard of it already.

Well, isn't that quite arrogant of all of you? Who ever said I was complaining about anyone here? I was expressing my opinion and it was not directed towards anyone at all.

• neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    i didn't say you were complaining - i said that cody's post did not have that attitude. i realize that you didn't direct your comment explicitly towards anyone in particular, but it was obviously in response to cody's post. i didn't think my defense of his question was arrogant; if it came across as such, it was unintentional.