Back-up cameras, need to pick your brains...

Options
Bev has a 2012 Dodge RAM 2500 that doesn't have any kind of infotainment screen, just a basic am/fm cd stereo. What back-up camera solutions are available for her situation?
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2

Comments

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    There are back up camera mirrors and visors. You wanting wired or wireless?
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,971
    Options
    My 2007 sequoia was the same way. I installed the previous version of this:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130200EX/Pioneer-MVH-200EX.html

And this:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130NDBC8/Pioneer-ND-BC8.html

I was really happy with that combo. Note that the receiver does NOT have a CD player, but you can upgrade to one that does. I didn’t have time to mess with it, so I had Best Buy install it. If you purchase from Best Buy they will often install for free. That would be much cheaper overall.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • SCompRacer
    edited September 2018
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »

I did similar for the wife's 2008 Envoy (47K miles, she still loves it). Got her backup camera and Bluetooth for the phone too.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    Options
    I use my eye's just saying.....
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    There are back up camera mirrors and visors. You wanting wired or wireless?

I assume wireless would be easier?
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • steveinaz
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I use my eye's just saying.....

PM your cell # and we'll call you every time Bev needs to back up. LOL
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    edited September 2018
    Options
    The view out the back of a pickup with the tailgate up is a little limited, IMO/IME.
    I've backed my son-in-law's (cameraless)Tundra the length of our (S-curved) driveway a coupla times -- it's not my idea of fun. :p

Said son-in-law's pretty good at it, though, I must say.
  • SCompRacer
    edited September 2018
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »

I assume wireless would be easier?

Yes. Some wireless uses a digital signal resistant to interference. I've read there can be a noticeable bit of lag in the display. Not too much of a hindrance, unless she backs real fast.

Running wires the proper way (careful routing, secure the wiring, path into cab, etc) will of course take longer.
  • steveinaz
    Options
    Thanks for the assist fellas
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130200EX/Pioneer-MVH-200EX.html

And this:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130NDBC8/Pioneer-ND-BC8.html

I was really happy with that combo. Note that the receiver does NOT have a CD player, but you can upgrade to one that does. I didn’t have time to mess with it, so I had Best Buy install it. If you purchase from Best Buy they will often install for free. That would be much cheaper overall.
    I recently installed the same head unit and a similar camera purchased from Crutchfield in my 2004 F-150. As always, their CS was superb. I called twice during installation and they walked me through everything, including emailing photos.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    edited September 2018
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    The view out the back of a pickup with the tailgate up is a little limited, IMO/IME.
    I've backed my son-in-law's (cameraless)Tundra the length of our (S-curved) driveway a coupla times -- it's not my idea of fun. :p

Said son-in-law's pretty good at it, though, I must say.

It's not just that, but particularly children that worry me. My F-150 has a slight lift, which while cool as all get out ;), adds even more of a blind spot. Also being able to back into a spot and know exactly how much room I have left is nice.