Surround Speakers

mrloren
mrloren Posts: 2,454
Hi There,

Here is one for the forum.

I have Polk 80 F/X-RT in-ceiling for surrounds, sounds darn good. I've been bouncing this idea that large void I call a brain.

giiaslcl3oz8.jpg

In the picture, my ceiling speakers are right overhead. I am thinking of getting some S10 and placing one under the trophy, I have a bookcase on the other side that the other would be on. These would be used as surround speakers and the 80F/X-RT take over as ATMOS height speakers.

Am I just overthinking this or would having height speakers so close to the listening area be a bad thing.

Cheers

Loren

BTW; It's an old picture, grandma moved out last year.

When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    At first, I was thinking "which trophy!?", Lol, but it appears you'll be setting up for a 5.x.4 system in which case you should be fine.

* "x" inserted as I don't know how many LFE points you're currently running.
  • mrloren
    edited August 2018
    Here is a better picture from this morning. This is looking from behind the TV.

ckmzadfbx38p.jpg

One under the trophy and the other where Teddy is facing in. How would this affect my height speakers. I'd only be going 5.1.2 at this time due to my Marantz is just a SR5010 7 channel AVR. My 80F/X-RT above the couch would be my height speakers, S10's would be surround and the TC80i that are up front would not be hooked up. They would just be filling the hole till I get a 9 channel AVR.

This is just an idea I've been bouncing around for some time. Next weekend is prime time to do it. My wife will be out of town with friends so I have the house to myself.

and we had to get new couches after grandma moved out. Them old ones smelled.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • FestYboy
    I think you'd be better off using the front ceiling speakers as your hight till you get your 9 channel.
  • krazypolk
    krazypolk Posts: 745
    mrloren wrote: »
    Hi There,

I have Polk 80 F/X-RT in-ceiling for surrounds, sounds darn good. I've been bouncing this idea that large void I call a brain.

giiaslcl3oz8.jpg

In the picture, my ceiling speakers are right overhead. I am thinking of getting some S10 and placing one under the trophy, I have a bookcase on the other side that the other would be on. These would be used as surround speakers and the 80F/X-RT take over as ATMOS height speakers.

Am I just overthinking this or would having height speakers so close to the listening area be a bad thing.

Cheers

Loren

Did grandma move out like permanently moved out? :#
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Shouldn’t be an issue, as long as you run Atmos, and not a 7.x configuration.
  • mrloren
    krazypolk wrote: »
    Hi There,

giiaslcl3oz8.jpg

Cheers

Loren

Did grandma move out like permanently moved out? :#

Grandma/Mother in-law, takes turns at living with one of her 8 kids. She made it 10 months with us this time. Still living with another one of her kids 10 miles away.
    FestYboy wrote: »
    I think you'd be better off using the front ceiling speakers as your hight till you get your 9 channel.

I have to leave them in any way. Maybe if I do this I will experiment with what sounds better. It's just a quick banana plug change.

I also have the problem of getting the wires to the surrounds, darn fireplace is in the way. I could alway run a conduit outside. That means more work and more money. I do have almost the entire weekend next week to figure it all out.
  • FestYboy
    Run the wires through the basement or crawl space if you have it.
  • mrloren
    edited August 2018
    Run the wires through the basement or crawl space if you have it.

SoCal, on a nice slab.

I was lucky the builder put in a drop that goes from the nich to where my current sub is. They ran two 16/4 from the nich to that corner. All my speakers run from the nich into the ceiling. Cable for the TV is out the wall around to that side. I would love to rerun all my speakers with some decent 14/2 or 12/2. but the builder stapled it all down. I have been wanting to put conduit in anyway just to get that exposed CATV cable covered.

I am still on the fence about doing it all.
  • mrloren
    So after thinking about it overnight I'm not adding S10 at this point.

I told my son what I was thinking of doing, he was nice enough to remind me of my OCD. I would be switching from the front to rear ceiling speakers daily and running Audyssey just as much.

I will replace the older TC80i with a set of 80F/X-RT so all of my ceiling speakers match.

When I replace these I'm going to see if I can fish new wire to the ceiling speakers. The builder did make big holes to run that junk 16AWG that looks like 18AWG stuff.

Any hints on how to follow the existing wire?
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767

Hmm... maybe tape one end of the new cable to the end of the old cable, then pull the old cable out through the other side?
  • FestYboy
    mlistens03 wrote: »

Hmm... maybe tape one end of the new cable to the end of the old cable, then pull the old cable out through the other side?

He had mentioned that they (the current cables) are stapled down.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    mlistens03 wrote: »

He had mentioned that they (the current cables) are stapled down.

oops, missed that. sorry.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited August 2018
    Use an electrician's fishing tape. It's metal, flat and very rigid to a point.

It's the best tool for running wires. You run the tape, tie a wire or string, then tie the speaker wire if all is OK. Or just tie the wire or TAPE the wire, pull it back through, which is what's done and Walla, it's done.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mrloren
    Yeah, Whoever installed this wire stapled it real good, I've pulled on it in the past, it's in good. I was lucky I didn't break it,

All the ceiling speaker wires converge in the niche to the right of the fireplace. If I can get the fish tape to the bottom of the wall I'm in business. It will then be a trip to Lowe's or HD and get some Schedule 40 PVC conduit.

I drop my wife off at the airport at noon on Friday. I'll go home from there and pull a speaker.