EX357 vs db 570

nadams
nadams Posts: 5,877
edited April 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
I'm looking at two pair of Polk 5x7s for my '94 Ranger. On one hand, I have the EX357 for $50/pair, and on the other hand I have the db570 for $100/pair, but buy one get one half off. Are the db570 worth the extra money? The only thing I see is that they can reach 2hz lower than the ex's.

Can someone tell me if they really are worth the money, since they're on sale? Will I be able to notice the difference between the two? Thanks,

nadams
Ludicrous gibs!
Post edited by nadams on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2004
    Absolutely. Specs dont tell the whole story. The DB is head and shoulders above the EX, thats Polks entry level stuff and isnt that good. the DB is a damn good speaker. Very clean and detailed. It would be worth $150 extra!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • nadams
    edited April 2004
    I was going to assume that, but I wanted to ask first..... $150 for 4 speakers isn't bad. Will be lots better than the stockers. The only problem I'll have now is panels rattling :-D
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2004
    just take the panels off...problem fixed:D
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • nadams
    edited April 2004
    I did that in my '94 voyager.... jsut took the whole liftgate panel off. Gave it a drag-van look if you were looking at the liftgate :-D Looked like crap, but sounded okay. DON'T want to do that in my new old truck :-D
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited April 2004
    hmm...
    cody, doesnt your bud that makes the sound deadener have a vib, reducing foam for panels? Called rattle-pad...
    http://www.secondskinaudio.com/secondskin.html
    I'm thinking about using this stuf when I re-build my busted car after it got broken into.
    -Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2004
    he sure does
    next time i do sound deadening im going to get that and the STFU-80...its going to cost me a pretty penny but ill never have to worry about a rattle again...lol
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • nadams
    edited April 2004
    Cool stuff... I just ordered the speakers, so we'll see how much rattle I end up with. The passenger side door already rattles, but I think it's actually the speaker, not the panel. We will find out. Thanks for the linkage.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited April 2004
    yeah... when i dampen mine i'm probably gonna put stfu 80 on the outer doorskin and the frame of the door and put the rattle pad on the door panel as well as the dash since mine buzzes rather annoyingly.... and of course the trunk etc... i just want to dampen my fiberglass panels so all the sound stays in the car... i want them to feel me, not hear me :p
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited April 2004
    How do you know where to put this stuff? Actually, how do I know how to find a stupid rattle? Only are certain lower freq's I can hear a stupid buzz coming from somewhere in the back, but I can't pinpoint it. Could I have a speaker loose or something, or would secondskin do the trick?
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2004
    could be both. if you've got a rattle at a specific frequency, try playing a subwoofer sweep (if you don't have one, i can email you one). it'll pass back and forth over the problem frequency and allow you to find the panel/speaker/whatever is rattling. depends on the application whether you need secondskin (dampens and can fill in the space b/w something so it has no room to move - if you take 2 2x4s and bang em together, it makes a loud noise, yes? stick a piece of foam where they're hitting, no more noise) or glue or something else depends on where the problem lies.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited April 2004
    I dont' have a sub yet. The rattle is coming from my mids. They're x'd over at 80Hz in the back and I know it's in my rear deck somewhere, but I can't seem to pinpoint the location. And I have to tear half the panels in the back of my car out to get to the speakers. At least I know that the rears will never be stolen. It'd take them an hour just to get the dang panels off :)
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2004
    and once they got past that, they'd have the flamethrower-wielding trunk monkey to deal with... :)

um, the procedure outlined above should work just the same. again, if you need a low-frequency sweep, i can send you one. just set aside a few hours on a weekend and do it.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • nadams
    edited April 2004
    well, got my db 570s. Unfortunately, crutchfield did not include any factory adaptors, so I had to cut the factory harnesses off. I'll prolly sell the stockers on eBay, anyway. So far, I'm impressed with the speakers, though I haven't really pushed them yet. (I'm of the mindset that new speakers _should_ be run in a little.) No rattles to speak of, yet. Again, the volumes haven't been loud. I'll let 'em run in when I'm driving today, then give 'em a work out tonight.
    Ludicrous gibs!