Speaker Wire - Help

Options
Hey guys,

I'm running some Atrium 5's (or 6's) to my backyard from my family room. The runs will be approximately 50' to 100' in distance I would guess from the Amp (HEOS) the speakers. I will have a few speakers inside also and the distance from the amp to those speakers will be much less, probably less than 20 feet.

My question, which speaker wire should I be using. Full disclosure, I've never done this before, I know nothing about speakers or wiring. I've seen some aluminum wiring coated in copper, I've seen all copper, 4-conductor, 2 conductor, all different guages. Cost doesn't matter so much to me as quality.

Keep in mind, these wires going outside will be exposed to the elements slightly, when connecting in to the speakers. I live in a place with cold winters, lots of snow, and very close to salt water, so the wire needs to be outdoor rated somehow?

So if you could advise as to the:
Gauge (12, 14, 16)
2-conductor vs. 4 conductor
Some rating for outdoor use
A trusted brand perhaps

This would help tremendously!

Thank in advance!
Kyle

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    Belden 5000UE (Gray jacket, 12 AWG) 0.64/ft

bluejeanscable.com
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,871
    Options
    I bought some outdoor cable off Amazon. Made to be buried. Seems to work well. The only issue I have is the cable and speaker next to pool is oxidizing very rapidly. I cut back 2 ft and it was wet in the sleeve. This year I said f- IT I'll replace it next year. I wouldn't go and spend hundreds on your outdoor cables. When I replace mine I'll check out pitdogg2's suggestion.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    May i suggest adhesive lined shrink tubing on the ends next time. Shrink the wire about 8" and the banana plug down to the insertion point. NOT the part that goes into binding post of course right up to it though
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    Call Doug at Douglas Connections - he's a valued member of this forum (helipilotdoug) and has helped me out in situations like this. Straight shooter and very honest. I am sure he can make you whatever you need.
  • redkulat
    redkulat Posts: 1
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Hi all, in a similar situation, from Canada. I'm going to be installing a pair of Atrium 5 speakers on my fence. The speaker wire run will be about 30 - 40 feet per speaker to the amp. I did a bit of research and the speakers are 8 ohm impedance which means 16 awg should be fine right?

I've read if the run is less than 50 feet, 16/2 awg should be fine. I plan on purchasing a weather-proof box and leaving my Chromecast Audio and amp in the summer. The box will be semi exposed to elements but I'll be taking the equipment back inside before the winter.

Would this wire work? Also is it necessary to put it in conduit still? I've heard mixed reviews that even with direct burial wire, you should place it in a conduit for longevity which does make sense. But I may not be in this home for more than 5 more years so don't really care to spend a lot of time or money. Thanks in advance!
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,648
    Options
    redkulat wrote: »
    Hi all, in a similar situation, from Canada. I'm going to be installing a pair of Atrium 5 speakers on my fence. The speaker wire run will be about 30 - 40 feet per speaker to the amp. I did a bit of research and the speakers are 8 ohm impedance which means 16 awg should be fine right?

I've read if the run is less than 50 feet, 16/2 awg should be fine. I plan on purchasing a weather-proof box and leaving my Chromecast Audio and amp in the summer. The box will be semi exposed to elements but I'll be taking the equipment back inside before the winter.

Would this wire work? Also is it necessary to put it in conduit still? I've heard mixed reviews that even with direct burial wire, you should place it in a conduit for longevity which does make sense. But I may not be in this home for more than 5 more years so don't really care to spend a lot of time or money. Thanks in advance!

Why all the links? I ain't clicking any of them.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    SPAM!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,431
    Options
    hehe, you guys are paranoid. Those are all legitimate links and he's just being thorough.

You can mouse over the link without clicking it, and it'll show you the address in the bottom of your browser, look here you freakshows...

zs9lbc8tog4r.png
    I disabled signatures.