I have my Triton Ones hooked up temporarily now.

Options
Tony M
Tony M Posts: 11,015
edited August 2018 in Speakers
With the help from my old friend and me doing stuff when I could, we made space for me to be able to listen to them in the open ( LOL ) room. They sounded great in that path to the left of the front door out there. Now they sound FANTASTIC and I've only heard them playing off the FM. One station was OK. Then I switched to a classic Motown style music station and Holy Molly!!! the sound was BIG and it sounded RIGHT. A smile came across my face as big as this emoji; :D.

I have the Tritons hooked up to an older Yamaha receiver RX-V595 but man does that combo sound great for now. A few months in the waiting but I'm glad I made it thru last month's illnesses. Now to get busier somehow and start downsizing/selling in a big way too.

The Tritons are still on the dollies but I'm ok with that for a while, until I put them where I feel they need to go, beside my TV on the outside of the inner towers ( the Polk LS90's ). I'm thinking of replacing my RT3000P's with these Tritons. :#

Here are some pics;

Ignore the couch..Please...I had it cleared off a couple of weeks ago, for real. :blush:
7csbzokgynhp.png
6jn698t78mbp.png
khmbidiqd1u8.png
ykvrmtvtlycn.png
Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,426
    Options
    Tony, did you say there were some Tritons in these photos?
    I disabled signatures.
  • Tony M
    edited August 2018
    Options
    You need to be here. There's reg. walking space in there again! B) The couch used to be clear and able to swivel to either system I wanted to enjoy. Over the past 5 years of H**L , I bought a few things that really encroached into my space out there. It was really bad in there a few months ago. My friend has been a big help about once or twice a week. He goes back to college Wed. so I might see him once a month, maybe.

Here's what it was like 5 years ago;
    8zeevtgtnuph.png
    xucigyeshlxd.png
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,426
    Options
    Just messin' Tony, good job getting on it and making some progress to your satisfaction. All that matters is you're enjoying it all :)
    I disabled signatures.
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    I hope your health improves. And your music moves you. Good luck with your journey. Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • coolsax
    coolsax Posts: 1,824
    Options
    Glad to hear you're enjoying those Tritons.. . I can't get enough of my Triton 2+s.
    Main 2ch -
    BlueSound Node->Ethereal optical cable->Peachtree Audio Nova 150->GoldenEar Triton 2+
    TT - Pro-ject Classic SB with Sumiko Bluepoint.

TV 3.1 system -
    Denon 3500 -> Dynaudio Excite 32/22
  • Tony M
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Thanks guys. I appreciate all the well wishes and comments. I understand my desire to own everything I can afford that's audio related and otherwise has it's bad side. It CLUTTERS and INVADES my limited spaces. I have visions of a comfortable space where I can even use my projector to watch movies out there. I have an electric drop-down screen mounted above the TV. It's visible it that one picture. It just drops down and it hits nothing. :) It's been there for 2 years or more. I watched 1 movie so far, maybe it was 2. Sad. :s

I TRULY thought those Maggies ( 3.1R I believe they were ) were some of the BEST speakers I've ever heard. Top 5 tier for sure. I knew I would NEVER have the proper room acoustics for them to really shine and for me to enjoy them for the rest of my life. I have pegboard all around the room. I've got to hand it to their design, they sounded GREAT! right where they were. I can only imagine how GREATER their sound would be in a regular walled room with space. :o

Partly because of my financial needs about 5 years ago and me KNOWING I wasn't ever going to have an OPEN space with 1 system in it and my pegboard walls, I put them up for sale after about 2 years I think. It was like giving up a mint 69 Mustang Fastback. A true gem of the speaker world is how I perceived them to be and sound. Like my ESS AMT1b's and SRS2's and Polk LS90's and those RT3000P's and the one's who got me LOVING music on a whole new level, the POLK's Monitor 10's.

I finally got to hear my Peerless teetered Monitor 10's again. It's been about 2 years or more I guess. I STILL love their sound!! B)

My living room is too small to accommodate the Maggies too. Believe me, I thought a bunch of nights how I could use them in there!

It was so nice to get a call from the guy I sold the Maggies to about a month ago. He was downsizing and thought about me FIRST because he knew how I felt about them. I wanted soooo much to say "heck yea I want them back," and for 100 or 150 less than I sold them to him for! It was a gut wrenching reality slap.

It hurt because I truly had NOWHERE to place them. Not even for storage for a year or two. I had to say no. In the back of my mind, I wondered if the panel wires were coming loose now too. Who knows, but I could've listened to them again in his house.

I'm going to try and find his picture of his space he had them in. I couldn't find it and my email is locked out now. I have to try later.

Thanks again guys!

I now have so many GREAT reasons to get out there and clear out the things I want or need the least!

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Looking good Tony! Let me know when you’re having a garage sale! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Tony M
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Thanks Dave.

I think about advertising everyday. Really. I even thought about this one pr. of Infinity's. I re-foamed the woofers in them a year ago or more. I looked on eBay TODAY to see if anybody else was selling a pair of them and there was no listing for them. I need to go out and get the model # or name and do the WEB search.

I think about a lot of pairs and sets I have all the time that NEED TO GO.

To bad there is only member close to me.

I did sell 2 pairs of speakers to my other old friend who stopped in town the other day. But they were bookshelf size. You can't tell they're missing is an obvious conclusion.

But it's another 2 sales toward Nirvana. ;):D
  • Tony M
    edited August 2018
    Options
    :D
    I would need a caravan of UHAULs. :s
  • Tony M
    Options
    One train car would work. ;)
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    All I gotta say is I would have super fun in that room trying all the gear and combos. Love the look of those tritons. They have them at a local shop but in a room too small to let them breath properly.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    la2vegas wrote: »
    Tony I feel your pain as I too have amassed one too many pairs of speakers. Some call it Noahsarkiatis, and I believe you and I, as well as few hundred others have been infected. The only cure is to rid yourself of all that audio gear which is crippling you.

There's another guy here who also has been infected, but he's still in the denial stage. Sound like anybody you might know Russ?

Anyway Tony I feel your pain and hope you'll find the peace that you seek. Don't worry about me as I'm probably past the point of getting help. As a matter of fact if you want to help yourself just load up the old UHAUL and head west. I'll take one for the team. o:)

Shut up Calvin....
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    Options
    Tony M wrote: »
    Thanks guys. I appreciate all the well wishes and comments. I understand my desire to own everything I can afford that's audio related and otherwise has it's bad side. It CLUTTERS and INVADES my limited spaces. I have visions of a comfortable space where I can even use my projector to watch movies out there. I have an electric drop-down screen mounted above the TV. It's visible it that one picture. It just drops down and it hits nothing. :) It's been there for 2 years or more. I watched 1 movie so far, maybe it was 2. Sad. :s

I am completely empathetic.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Both of you could open up a museum! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Tony M
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Those old Infinity's I mentioned were my first surround replacement jobs, are the "Infinity Monitor Jr.'s". I looked again and there still isn't a whole lot on them on the web. I didn't do a thorough search yet but they're real rare for sure. I did see a picture of a set and I'll post it. My friend came over Monday for a while and we got to those speakers and hooked them up. 12" woofers. B) They sounded great but I thought I heard distortion but the song playing might've been the true source. Here's a pic of some on the web;
    ltm6fihyj38p.png
    0pei765wleba.png
    0md6xvw46nyd.png

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    ^^^^
    Are those the same peerless tweets as in the early Monitors/SDA’s? They look sweet.
  • Tony M
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I'm not sure but they do look just like them, don't they? :p

I have a pr. of ADS that have those tweeters and midranges too. L810's I believe. B) No...I just looked on the web and they aren't the same at all. Sorry.
    xb3a3rve940d.png
    My friend who knows music liked them as did I.
    And they are definitely NOT set up proper! :#:'(
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    I'm not sure but they do look just like them, don't they? :p

I have a pr. of ADS that have those tweeters and midranges too. L810's I believe. B)

My friend who knows music liked them as did I.
    And they are definitely NOT set up proper! :#:'(

They do have a striking resemblance. :wink:
    Hey, you can’t win them all when it comes to setup. My setup is FAR from perfect, and it still sounds great.
    At least you and I don’t have to deal with WAF! My dads Eosone speakers are in the corner, up against the back wall, side wall, AND the side of our TV cabinet. He takes what he can get. :wink:
  • Tony M
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I have heard the magic a great stereo and open space can produce. When the speakers disappear and the wall becomes a stage. B)

I / we definitely DIDN'T hear the magic coming from the 2 side by side speakers BUT we heard their sound signature and thought, "put a bunch of hours on them to get them pliable again AND replace the crossover components...They would be pretty fine speakers indeed. :p
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    the ADS/Braun loudspeakers do not use the Peerless silk dome tweeters. Their tweeters are very good, though, as (IMO) were the ADS/Braun dome midranges.

The Infinity Is pictured early do indeed appear to have the Peerless silk domes.
    They were pretty common in good to better quality storebought speakers in the 1970s into 80s (b&o, Cizek, and even later, relatively speaking ;), KLH spring to mind... there were others, too), and were sold to the DIY market well into the 1990s.

ll6i83951ofl.png
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2018
    Options
    For posterity :) let me opine, once again, that the venerable Peerless 2" AlNiCo cone tweeters, which were also made for a long time and widely used, were - arguably - the best (or at least among the best) cone tweeters ever made. :)

And, no, that's not like saying the best Yugo ever made or the best Dodge truck ever made ;)

csheiin2pdwb.png

One will find these in lots of well-respected storebought loudspeakers of the 1960s and 70s. Also, I do believe that Dick Sequerra used them in some of his well-regarded Metronome loudspeakers.

• Tony M
    edited August 2018
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    For posterity :) let me opine, once again, that the venerable Peerless 2" AlNiCo cone tweeters, which were also made for a long time and widely used, were - arguably - the best (or at least among the best) cone tweeters ever made. :)

And, no, that's not like saying the best Yugo ever made or the best Dodge truck ever made ;)

csheiin2pdwb.png

One will find these in lots of well-respected storebought loudspeakers of the 1960s and 70s. Also, I do believe that Dick Sequerra used them in some of his well-regarded Metronome loudspeakers.

Another friend of mine bought a set of Sequerra's Metronomes at a Pawn shop hours before I went in there. I found an Ultech UCD-100 Cd player. We talked later that night and discovered they all had close to matching Movers stickers on each piece. We bought them for pennies on the dollar. :D

I heard those little funny looking speakers and they put out a sound-field tall and wide and plenty of bass too. They sounded just right too being powered by Pioneer elite receiver and Pioneer Cd player or Technics SL1200MK2 TT. reviewers thought the tweeters were Radio Shack green paper tweeters but he ( Sequerra swore they were NOT RS tweeters. :)

I liked RS speakers all my life so I couldn't really tell by looking at them except Sequerra's had a brass plug in place of a voice coil cover. We never did do an A/B comparison even though I had a few pairs of RS speakers with similar looking tweeters in them.

In a great way, Sequerra's speakers DID sound BIGGER than Radio Shack speakers I believe. B)

• mhardy6647
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Another friend of mine bought a set of Sequerra's Metronomes at a Pawn shop hours before I went in there. I found an Ultech UCD-100 Cd player. We talked later that night and discovered they all had close to matching Movers stickers on each piece. We bought them for pennies on the dollar. :D

I heard those little funny looking speakers and they put out a sound-field tall and wide and plenty of bass too. They sounded just right too being powered by Pioneer elite receiver and Pioneer Cd player or Technics SL1200MK2 TT. reviewers thought the tweeters were Radio Shack green paper tweeters but he ( Sequerra swore they were NOT RS tweeters. :)

I liked RS speakers all my life so I couldn't really tell by looking at them except Sequerra's had a brass plug in place of a voice coil cover. We never did do an A/B comparison even though I had a few pairs of RS speakers with similar looking tweeters in them.

In a great way, Sequerra's speakers DID sound BIGGER than Radio Shack speakers I believe. B)

I looked at photos on the internet and the paper cone tweeters in at least some of the Sequerra speakers do indeed look like the "dome dust cap" tweeters (not unlike the Radio Shacks you mentioned!). Not all, it appears, had the metal "phase plugs" that you describe, though some did.

There were other, similar paper tweeters -- the ones used by Henry Kloss in the Cambridge Soundworks Model Six are pretty darned similar as well. Kloss claimed (as he has going back to the 1960s) that the protuberant :) dust caps on these tweeters made them cone-dome hybrids, with the dispersion characteristics of a dome at higher frequencies. I dunno -- but I do know that the CSW Six (and even, heaven help me, some of the R/S monkey coffins that used similar tweeters) had pretty decent quality treble. :|

CSW Model Six

prdp7v6lzidr.png

Optimus STS-50, ca. 1995 :)

ipcyb55f3k5b.png

FWIW, I really do think some of the earlier ones used Peerless tweeters... I think I read that in Stereophile, but I cannot confirm it via Google, at least at the moment :p

Dick Sequerra was a force to be reckoned with -- probably most noted for his tuner work :)

jhql3pupdzed.png

pu7yzgwwhok3.png

6g9gmonaus7t.png

Last I knew, he was still alive, but retired from the biz. He was actually selling off equipment a few months ago, if memory serves.

(all images borrowed :p )

• Tony M
    Options
    Thanks for that write -up on these tweeters. B) Sequerra Tuners are supposed to be world class. The $$$$$ of them are way out of my reach, UNLESS some sibling donates or puts one in a yard sale or on Craigs' list.

I read Cambridge got rave reviews for their systems for years. I think they still do. I haven't owned any YET...LOL, but I probably will some day. I'll keep an eye out for that style tweeter in them. ;)

I have a super SONY ES tuner from the 80's that's pretty darn good. I also have one of those SONY HD little tuner that's pretty darn good too. I haven't seen the little one in a while though. I wonder where it is. :s:'(
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    There's a pair of CSW Sixes in the basement :) They're pretty good -- a published crossover revision makes them very pretty good :)

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    Options
    I also have one of those SONY HD little tuner that's pretty darn good too. I haven't seen the little one in a while though. I wonder where it is. :s:'(
    Man I wish I would of bought a case of those at 89.00 when they sold new at the store. They do routinely sell for hundreds of dollars now because they respond very favorably to upgades and sound steller.
  • Tony M
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I paid 25.00 to a seller on Craig's list for the little Sony. He guaranteed it worked. I wanted to pay him double but I didn't.
    It did work and sounded pretty darn good too.

Take a look at this book. I ordered it when it came out a very long time ago. (1988)
    I just saw it on a shelf in my spare bedroom last night.
    I saw a few years ago going for 200.00 also.

Rodrigues's "Total Harmonic Distortion" book;
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/B00072OXXQ-Total-harmonic-distortion-Cartoons-from-quot-Stereo-review-quot/302573910032?hash=item4672cf7810:g:yGwAAOSwP4FaPCvE
    wzngny6h7qce.png