My vintage Polk journey

New to this site. I got back in the vintage audio game, in 2015. Having never owned real audio equipment, it's been a fun journey. About two year ago, I bought a pair of Polk Monitor 5's for about $25 on Offer Up, out of curiosity. Well they didn't work and I returned them to the guy. About a year ago, bought a pair of Monitor 10A's for $50 on Offer Up. Bonus, the guy brought them to me. These worked and were in nice condition. I recapped them and enjoyed them. They moved to my daughter's room for Epicure 20+ and then Vandersteen 1B. On to Vandersteen 2C then. About 6 weeks ago, I acquired 10B's in a trade deal. Not as nice shape as my 10A, but sounded great. I truly forgot how good they sounded. My daughter does not play her stereo. I was enjoying the 10B's and not using the Vandersteens. I started to see and research the SDA line. I came close to buying a set from two different sellers. I never closed the deals. Then I saw a pair of SDA1A up for sale or trade, about 1.5 hour away. I offered him the Vandersteen 2C and he said yes. He brought them to me and deal was sealed. These are in very good to near mint. Consider me a Polk fan.

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Welcome!!! If you have any questions, don't hesitate, the SDA line is something special. But setup is key, right up there with proper amplification. Get it right and it'll be hard pressed to find something better for many times the price.
  • MER71
    MER71 Posts: 5
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Welcome!!! If you have any questions, don't hesitate, the SDA line is something special. But setup is key, right up there with proper amplification. Get it right and it'll be hard pressed to find something better for many times the price.

I am using a Sherwood S8910 and a Adcom GFA-1A power amp. How should they be placed?
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    12-15' wall, ~6' between the inside edges of the enclosures. More importantly though is at least 2.5' from the outside edge of the enclosures to the adjacent walls. 0 toe in, these need to parallel the wall and about 6" off the wall. Depending on the room, these numbers can be fudged to suit room size and acoustics, but it's a good starting point.