Distro block

mbdyer12
mbdyer12 Posts: 220
edited April 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
I just bought a Streetwires 4ga wiring kit and it came with a (1) 4ga in/ (4) 8ga out unfused distrobution block. If I've heard right, I still want to fuse each individual amp right at or just slightly below its fuse(s) rating. I'll be running about 90A (40A + 50A) and I have an 80A fuse in the fuse holder. Why would they include an unfused distrobution block with the kit? Can I just run 2 unfused 8ga wires from the 80A fuse to my amps and have them be protected by the 80A fuse? I dont wanna have to go out and buy more stuff. Haha...
2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
Post edited by mbdyer12 on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2004
    you should be good with what you've got. the fuses in the distro are, assuming everything else is in place, an extra level of security/safety. if you wanted, you could do two power runs, but that's a lot of unnecessary cable imo. i'd just use the distro.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited April 2004
    Seams a lot of amp companies are putting fuses on the amps now. Trend for a long time was "provide " your own. IF my amps have fuses...I dont use a fused distro...if they dont..I always have a fuse before my amp
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited April 2004
    i didn't bother putting fuses in front of hte 81000d's... i figured that if they were ganking more than their allotted 150-ish than considering all my other power draw, it would pop the individual 150A fuses on the two main 0 gauge power lines... now with a single 0 gauge line and a 200 A fuse, i belive this still holds true. all the other amps have fuses ON them.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • mbdyer12
    edited April 2004
    Ohh, all clear sir's. Thanks a ton. I also just got my Musica 500 Streetwires interconnect cable. $2.99 for 12 ft brand new in the box :D eBay rocks.

Just to prove its good stuff: I had a cheap rca cable connecting the video out of my receiver to my tv and normally the ground loop noise was so bad that it drove me insane unless there was constant sound or music whlie playing my xbox or computer (tv as monitor).. I just hooked up one of the musica 500 cables to see if it would help out. The noise is practically gone. Since I have practically no electrical noise in the car, I'm pretty sure theres going to be none at all coming out the speakers now. I'm sold on this stuff. Theres still 3 left from the person I bought from if anyone needs some good (as far as I can tell) patch cable.
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by mbdyer12
    Ohh, all clear sir's. Thanks a ton. I also just got my Musica 500 Streetwires interconnect cable. $2.99 for 12 ft brand new in the box :D eBay rocks.

Just to prove its good stuff: I had a cheap rca cable connecting the video out of my receiver to my tv and normally the ground loop noise was so bad that it drove me insane unless there was constant sound or music whlie playing my xbox or computer (tv as monitor).. I just hooked up one of the musica 500 cables to see if it would help out. The noise is practically gone. Since I have practically no electrical noise in the car, I'm pretty sure theres going to be none at all coming out the speakers now. I'm sold on this stuff. Theres still 3 left from the person I bought from if anyone needs some good (as far as I can tell) patch cable.
    i got my musica's last week and i love em... too bad i had to take my subs out like 2 days after.
    cats.vans.bag...
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by swerve
    i got my musica's last week and i love em... too bad i had to take my subs out like 2 days after.
    whys that?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited April 2004
    cuz im waitin on that second skin to get here... i prepped a week early.....
    the secondskin will b here on monday
    cats.vans.bag...
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited April 2004
    sounds good
    -Cody
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited April 2004
    As said before a set of fuses after the distro block is just another level of security and is actually just easier for troubleshooting. If you blow the fuses in the amp and don't have the extra set of fuses, you might have to rip out the amps to check the fuses. Its generally easier to disconnect the power wire from a fuse holder and check the fuse that way.

... a good reason to have the extra set of fuses is if you decide to compete. I know SLAP, IASCA, and USAC all require fuses after any splitting of the power (ie distro block)
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • mbdyer12
    edited April 2004
    Thanks for all the replies. I don't know what I'd do without you guys. ::sniffs::
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2004
    probably shrivel up and die... :p
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by bknauss
    ... a good reason to have the extra set of fuses is if you decide to compete. I know SLAP, IASCA, and USAC all require fuses after any splitting of the power (ie distro block)
    they do that to prevent fire...something that doesnt go well with your vehicle...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it