Bottlehead SEX - a saga

Options
verb
verb Posts: 10,176
edited May 2018 in 2 Channel Audio
Well I must admit and credit professor @mhardy6647 for piquing my interest in flea power SET amps! Another enabler amongst us! :smile:

About a month ago I decided to get my toes wet. Bought an assembled SEX2.0 amp on ebay. Yes I know!

rjqwmevurr9t.png

Got a smokin deal. About 2 hundie shipped. When it arrived, hooked it up, and nothing! Powers on, nothing except a loud screech from the left channel. I quickly shut the thing off, and began communication with the seller.

In the end I got a 75% refund, and kept the amp. What to do? Reached out to the Bottlehead forum, and discovered that Bottlehead does not provide any service for out of production items! A recent change to their policy, as I discovered.

Not to give up, @mhardy6647 and I began PM'ing back and forth, asking questions, and in the end, offered to take a look and repair it for me, if at all possible. Just wanted to say thanks Mark for your generous offer and continued tutelage all things flea power!

Finally, I was referred to a gentleman on the Bottlehead forum, Paul Birkeland, who was recommended by Bottlehead.

It is now in the process of getting repaired, and, ahem, upgraded output transformers, et. al., you know the drill!

More to come!

Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Makes me want to get started on my Zenith tube console... Can't beat free!
  • verb
    Options
    Practically speaking, yeah! Can't wait to get that little guy home and play with it. Next piece eventually will be some high efficiency speakers. Rabbit hole, ya know! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • FestYboy
    Options
    Horns will be your new friends.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    KLIPSCH me, ASAP.
    FestYboy wrote: »

• verb
    Options

I sense a conspiracy between you and @mhardy6647 ! :smile:
  • verb
    Options
    verb wrote: »

And @Clipdat ! :smile:
  • Clipdat
    Options
    You should be able to afford these no problem with your fancy engineer salary:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_714LASCACH/Klipsch-La-Scala-II-Heritage-Cherry.html

g714LASCACH-F.jpeg
  • FestYboy
    Options
    verb wrote: »

"Not I!”, said the fly.
  • FestYboy
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    You should be able to afford these no problem with your fancy engineer salary:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_714LASCACH/Klipsch-La-Scala-II-Heritage-Cherry.html

g714LASCACH-F.jpeg

Horn loaded woofer goodness!
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    2 hundie.....nice!
    I've built two of their kits. They were fun projects. Next time, start from scratch ;)
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • verb
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »
    2 hundie.....nice!
    I've built two of their kits. They were fun projects. Next time, start from scratch ;)

Yep. Actually with the 75% off, it was 50 bucks! :smile:
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    Friends don't let friends buy Klipsch :)

I say this a a feller who lived with a pair of Cornwalls for a decade.

• motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,052
    Options
    Hmmm; I'll be interested in seeing how this turns out. Mainly because I also have an interest in possibly trying out an set amp on my khorns. Just this morning I started reading an old article in a Stereophile mag about adding a 3.3ohm resistor to a ss amp that supposedly closely mimics the sound of an set amp on a pair of Wilsons. I may have to give that a shot once I finish reading that article. Set midrange sound with none of the associated tube amp hassles.....doubtful but possible?
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Well, here's the thing -- sure you can do that. All you'll do is artificially decrease the amplifier's damping factor (which, it could be argued, has already had its damping factor artificially increased via negative feedback).

It will certainly have audible consequences. :|

Here's the thing with high output impedance amplifiers (as are most SETs -- at least
    those sans any added NFB): They will "feel" their load (i.e., the loudspeakers) much more than a low output impedance (high DF) amplifier... and
    that means that the concept of amp/speaker synergy is really, really important for a low DF amplifier. Trying to emulate a SET's performance into a load that was designed to accommodate a very different kind of amplifier behavior is, to my way of thinking, trying to drive a square peg into a round hole.

Also, and more pragmatically: Don't forget how much power will be wasted forcing the signal through that amplifier with an added series resistance.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    A SET amplifier with K-horns should be pretty good. Especially a good one.
    A lower-powered SET with mediocre output transformers (e.g., one that I can afford) will give up some slam compared to what you're used to, but the roughness of the stock Klipsch horns will be much mollified by a decent SET amp.

Certainly helped the Cornies a lot. I couldn't stand 'em with an MC-2100 (midrange that could remove paint or drive a Panamanian stongman out of hiding), but they brought tears to my eyes the first time I hooked a Decware "Zen" SE84B to 'em and listened to Sarah McLachlan.

YMMV, of course (which is what makes this hobby fun and interesting).

• mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 478
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @verb if you want to stay away from Klipsch horns. Zu Audio has pretty efficient speaksers. The once a year omen dirty weekend at 12ohm 97db something to look out for. Another is Teton Design Lore 98db. Both are around that the same price point and made in the US.
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100 | 150” Elite Screen Acoustic Pro UHD
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte | Roku TV
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | Fire TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • mhardy6647
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Oh, yeah -- Zu.
    Them, too.

:)
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    Zu...never heard of them.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,052
    Options
    Thanks for the explanation mhardy and yes that makes sense. I do believe I'll skip reading that particular article and go for the real thing when the time arises.

Haha; I agree with you on the MC2100. Try as I might I couldn't get my 2100's to sound good on my k's either strapped or single. Strapping (bridged) actually sounded better which surprised me but not good enough to hold on to them. I swear there's an unpleasant frequency response hump built right into them.
  • mhardy6647
    edited May 2018
    Options
    autoformers or not, the MC2100 (and its little sibling, the MC250, and its fraternal twin, the MC2105) just. plain. don't. sound. great.

At least to me.

... and I've heard a few of each, on some very different kinds of loudspeakers.

• verb
    Options
    So Paul found several issues with my SEX amp. Looks like there was some damage to the power switch and potentiometer (shipping damage?) of which he replaced.

I took the liberty of upgrading the output transformers. Below is an excerpt from the Bottlehead website:
    d7aeu2q2t33m.png
    bhtuer3ms9a0.png

And, there is an additional upgrade. Called the C4S
    dpndfoomwwuk.png
    dld7u2wcl14e.png

The amp was completed today and shipped! The saga continues! :smile:
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Good upgrades!

I added the C4S boards (constant current source) to the Paramours -- bought better iron for 'em, too, but have yet to install. It's probably been, I dunno, a dozen years ago? :(
  • verb
    Options
    Thank you sir! Nice to get the @mhardy6647 seal of approval! Double thanks for defining what the heck C4S means! Tube noobie, ya know! :smile:
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    It stands for Camille Constant Current [something] Source -- designed by the late John "Smoothplate" Camille for Bottlehead.

From their early days as "Electric Tonalities" (the name they originally traded under, even though the products were called "Bottlehead").
  • Wardsweb
    Wardsweb Posts: 904
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Congrats on getting it up and running. With about only a good 1-1/2 watts per channel, you will need high efficiency speakers. I built one years ago and tried it with Klipsch Khorns, Klipsch Cornwalls, and Omega 7A, all with good results. Fun little amp.

r0fw77j6drjn.jpg
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Awesome integrated spikes!
    Wardsweb wrote: »
    Congrats on getting it up and running. With about only a good 1-1/2 watts per channel, you will need high efficiency speakers. I built one years ago and tried it with Klipsch Khorns, Klipsch Cornwalls, and Omega 7A, all with good results. Fun little amp.

• verb
    Options
    That is way cool! Chrome plated too! Whoa!
  • verb
    Options
    At the risk of public ridicule, I noticed these rather affordable bookies by Kplisch:
    p80hg9lixmun.png
    euaded06rolt.png
    Professor @mhardy6647 et, al, please opine! :smile:
  • verb
    Options
    Oops, here is the model number:
    Klipsch RP-160M-WL :smile:
  • verb
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    It stands for Camille Constant Current [something] Source -- designed by the late John "Smoothplate" Camille for Bottlehead.

From their early days as "Electric Tonalities" (the name they originally traded under, even though the products were called "Bottlehead").

Found it! Camille Cascode Constant Current source! :smile:
    l2nq4pvon4xv.png