Boston Acoustics T930

Options
jdjohn
jdjohn Posts: 3,000
CL find for $40. They need new surrounds, but wow!, the cabs are minty fresh. Actually got the original boxes with them!
lo5usxg1vf7g.jpg
sqc1dialigso.jpg
Woofers have stamped baskets, but good-sized magnets. I'm thinking Dynamat on the basket frames. Tested at 4.7 ohms resistance.
ry8q306qlhm9.jpg
Soft-dome, ferro-fluid tweets:
a7r1to28l9w1.jpg
Bracing inside:
8ac0rs5bc4wq.jpg
I did a very low-volume test on these before removing the woofers, and all drivers work. Looking forward to putting them through their paces once finished!
"This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
"Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Nice! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    Awesome speakers! My dad had a similar pair a while back, but he had to let them go in a move. He loved them.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
  • jdjohn
    Options
    Well...two years (and one quarantine) later, I finally finished re-foaming these guys. I did the woofers initially since they were deteriorated, but have now finally done the mids as well. The mid surrounds were intact, but stiff, so likely not at their best. The mid drivers mount within cardboard tube enclosures, so are nicely isolated.

I have to say, these sound very nice :) For the $40 I paid, plus another $40 in new surrounds, it might be hard to beat. The 10" woofers go deep, and the soft dome tweets have nice dispersion and detail. With fresh mid surrounds, it all fills-out nicely. And with their height, it puts the sound on a good axis from a seated position.

I plan to make them part of a good entry-level system for a friend or family member.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,662
    Options
    I had a pair of T1030's back in the day. I really like them. Great pick up and refurb.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • jdjohn
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Sorry for the indulgence, but here's a quick pic of my side system with those BA speakers installed...driven by a Technics SU-V8X integrated amp.
    2khoely5y8d9.jpg
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    Looking sweet!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    Options
    I'll bet the combo sounds great!

Love those speakers and that Technics. NICE Turntable too.. B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    I think I have that same printer. 😎
  • jdjohn
    Options
    Tony M wrote: »
    I'll bet the combo sounds great!

Love those speakers and that Technics. NICE Turntable too.. B)
    Thanks! That one is a Philips 312 with the touch sensor controls.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    Options
    Nice! B)
    vx7lgh17lc99.png
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • jdjohn
    Options
    I was doing some bass testing today with these speakers in one of my rigs, and wow...they dig deeper than advertised IMO. Specs show low-end at 42Hz, but I think they were going much lower today. Maybe it's the fresh surrounds, or maybe it's the McCormack DNA-125 driving them, but these speakers can go low.