edited April 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
ALright here is the deal I just put all this in my accord,
Alpine 7875 head unit
Alpine MRV f540 4 channel amp
Alpine Mrd m1000 mono amp
polk mm465 comps in front
polk db series 6.5's in rear
polk mm100 (2) in sealed box

IM going to get the new cda 9835 head unit from alpine as soon as my local dealer gets it in stock. My goals is sound Q I dont want to fool with multi media. I cant afford it at this point while paying for school. I have an alpine ere-g180 11 band EQ.
My question is should I put it in or not? I dont want to introduce noise into the system and I feel that adding this might run that risk. Is it worth the risk? Or could it just be overkill?

Second question,
I love the way the 10's sound. I have always been big on 10's for sound quality, but I always had them in an suv. Now that im playing through the trunk it doesnt have as much balls as I want it to. I've run that amp full on to the subs and have not blown them yet. I have been amazed at how they hold up to so much power I thought they would have blown by now. I still want it to sound great, but I'd like to crank it up and show off a little more than what I can with these subs. Any suggestions? I was thinking about moving up to 2 12's maybe alpine type r or Daimond.
Give me some feedback and ideas or alternatives. any help would be great.
Thanks
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited April 2004
    just do like 4 momo 10's and put 400 on each and call it a day
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited April 2004
    I like you're idea about diamond but that amps not gonna be enough if you get the TDX's (which sound gorgeous and are what i'm looking at) also if you get those in a 10 and get them at least the 800wrms each that they need they should out hit and out perform sq wise the type r's. if you do get them you may want to consider looking at the US Amps 2000x which puts out 2000 wrms at 4 ohms (best for sq with the dual 4ohm vc's of the tdx's) VERY clean power too, it can be found for about a grand. also if you're already going to be buying a fairly expensive hu (that alpine's around 4-5 hundred right?) you may want to look at the top of the line eclipse HU, it's known throught IASCA as being one of the best SQ HU's on the market and it's only just over $500. that and the next model down were the most used HU's last year in sq competition if i remember correctly.

but yeah, if you decide to go with the TDX's from diamond, as long as you power them properly, you'll get all the volume you could want from a pair of 10's.

btw the eclipse hu has 8v non-clipping outputs (top of the line one has the option to run a 16v balanced out too) so make sure your amps can handle that high of an input or you'll thrash them.

overall though you're on the right track for some good sq.
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by MTXMAN
    you may want to look at the top of the line eclipse HU
    thems are some ugglesome hu's tho

eclipse's titanium series has some serious grunt behind it too. on the graphic equalizer question, it's all up to you. if you have a need to be hyperaccurate (that would be me) or if you can't properly equalize with the headunit and amp controls, then by all means install it. if you don't need it, then don't and you'll have less noise (like 0.5%, but it's still there).

since you're into sq, i'd stay with 10s like you've been doing.

btw, if you aren't gonna use the eq and you wanna dump it, talk to me.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2004
    10s for SQ is a thing of the past
    theres 15s now that win just as many SQ comps as 10s
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    which kind of sq comps? the 'wow this sounds awesome' ones? or the ones where you see how loud you can reproduce a given signal within certain tolerances? i just can't see a 15 sounding as tight as a 10... it just doesn't make sense...

That does Not Make SENSE!! If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit.

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    an adire 15" sub WILL have less distortion than most any 10 on the market
    including focal, diamond, and JL
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    ah, but will an adire 15 have less distortion than an adire 10?

• exalted512
    edited April 2004
    i believe the answer is no, they will be equal, but dont quote me on that
    just saying, the higher end 15s can be just as good as the higher end 10s
    oo and btw, the guy with the focals also had some L7 square subs
    sounded like crap
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    loud, but yeah, crap. a couple shops on my CAFT tried to convince me that the L7s were TOTL SQ stuff. so i left.

one of the shops specialized in a very specific install. they would remove the rear shelf and make a trunkfloor-carroof amp rack, fill the trunk with 15s (they had pics, some of these things looked like 3D puzzles the way they were angled) and fill - literally fill - the door with 5-1/4" drivers. 15-25 drivers per door, depending upon size. amp each driver with 50-75 WRMS, wire it all up, replace the alt, and drive away. i left there too. they were like the crappy shop on your CAFT, the service area was butted on to the sales area with a bedsheet separating the two areas. everything was covered in dust, half the lights were broken... good times.

• neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    oh, and on your note about 15s... is there any reason at all for me not to start looking at 12s? 15s are just too big, but i could fit 2 12s. any reason i shouldn't?

• exalted512
    edited April 2004
    nope, only reason im going to 10s is because of space issues
    -Cody