Powering my new RTi A9's

Hi Guys,

This is my first post so be gentle with me!

I just swapped out my RTi A7's for A9's to complete my Polk 7.1 system: CSi A6 center, FXi A6 surrounds, FXi A4 rear surrounds, DSW Pro 660wi sub, Denon AVR-3313CI and a recently purchased Outlaw 5000 5 channel power amp.

When I first purchased the Outlaw(pre A9's) I hooked it up to my A7's and was pretty impressed by the difference in detail and power, particularly at low volumes.
Now that I have the A9's hooked up I am pretty disappointed and regretting the upgrade. I am thinking the Outlaw is underpowered (140 wpc) to drive the A9's sufficiently.

Was thinking about purchasing two Outlaw 2200 monoblock amps (200wpc) to power the A9's and use the 5000 to power my centre and surrounds(might be overkill).

Any thoughts on this approach or suggestions on alternatives. The Outlaw is only two weeks old so could be returned if there is a better option(not looking to buy used or break the bank).

I am Toronto based so any options would have to be from companies that sell in the city or ship to Canada,

Cheers!
Panasonic 60" plasma, Denon AVR-3313CI, Outlaw 5000, Polk Rti A9's, CSi A6, FXi A4's & A6's

Comments

• jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    Give those a9’s some time to break in and re evaluate in a couple weeks.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    edited April 2018
    Shouldn't your current Outlaw amp be adequate?
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    What's this overkill you speak of. Sounds like a great plan.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Why do people think bigger is always going to be better?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    i would probably look into something different than those outlaw mono's. They have some pretty good amp manufacturers up that way, shouldn't be hard to find a good high current amp.

Toronto should have an dealer or two, and always keep an eye on Canuck audio mart. Amps last a long time.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    My wife always tells me "size doesn't matter", but I think she's just being nice.
    F1nut wrote: »

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    If you are happy with the Outlaw 5000, then yes get a couple of 2200s. The 9s will operate much better with more power. All the other speakers will appreciate the power of the 5000.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited April 2018
    The 5000 is 120 wpc so, yeah get a couple 2200's for the A9's, thats about $1300 you will have in outlaw gear for your 7.1 rig if you go that route.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    edited April 2018
    F1nut wrote: »

Yeah, RTiA7s are excellent speakers!
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    The 9s are not just bigger. Their design is drastically different.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    The 9s are not just bigger. Their design is drastically different.

Agreed. With that sealed upper section and the extra bass driver they want power no doubt.
    The RTiA7 is great too and is easier on power requirements for sure. I just think for theater usage the 9's are hard to not get. Sadly people underestimate the power they require for performance and longevity.
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • KPGM
    KPGM Posts: 8
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    The 5000 is 120 wpc so, yeah get a couple 2200's for the A9's, thats about $1300 you will have in outlaw gear for your 7.1 rig if you go that route.

Don’t really know amps so just not sure what else I could purchase new in that price range that would give me the power I need.
    Panasonic 60" plasma, Denon AVR-3313CI, Outlaw 5000, Polk Rti A9's, CSi A6, FXi A4's & A6's
  • dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    KPGM wrote: »
    gudnoyez wrote: »

Don’t really know amps so just not sure what else I could purchase new in that price range that would give me the power I need.
    If it has to be new Matching your Outlaw 5000 with the 2200s is a good choice. 200 watts is a good # for the 9's.
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    KPGM wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

This is my first post so be gentle with me!

I just swapped out my RTi A7's for A9's to complete my Polk 7.1 system: CSi A6 center, FXi A6 surrounds, FXi A4 rear surrounds, DSW Pro 660wi sub, Denon AVR-3313CI and a recently purchased Outlaw 5000 5 channel power amp.

When I first purchased the Outlaw(pre A9's) I hooked it up to my A7's and was pretty impressed by the difference in detail and power, particularly at low volumes.
    Now that I have the A9's hooked up I am pretty disappointed and regretting the upgrade. I am thinking the Outlaw is underpowered (140 wpc) to drive the A9's sufficiently.

Was thinking about purchasing two Outlaw 2200 monoblock amps (200wpc) to power the A9's and use the 5000 to power my centre and surrounds(might be overkill).

Any thoughts on this approach or suggestions on alternatives. The Outlaw is only two weeks old so could be returned if there is a better option(not looking to buy used or break the bank).

I am Toronto based so any options would have to be from companies that sell in the city or ship to Canada,

Cheers!

Why did you think swapping the 7's for the 9's was a good idea since it appears you were happy with the 7's?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk