quick power question

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited April 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
So a few years back i bought a DHD power cruiser NTX-2006 amp (pretty cheep i'm sure) and i've been using it to power a 400 watt RMS 12" Audiobahn AW1251 sub. It his like crazy in my bandpass box, but i was just looking at the specs on that amp and i realized that its only putting out 200w x 2 at 2 ohms OR 50wx2 (160 bridged) at 4 ohms. I don't really understand why it would be 2 ohms since subs are 4 ohms usually. Also, this doesn't seem like enough power to get the most out of my sub. Am i wrong in thinking this or is this enough power? How much power would you recommend?
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2004
    do you have a link to your sub?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2004
    that sub seems to be able to take 400 WRMS.
    Originally posted by mipnucsb
    200w x 2 at 2 ohms OR 50wx2 (160 bridged) at 4 ohms
    your amp - i don't understand how this can be. if it's 50 W x 2 Ch @ 4 Ohms, it should be 100 W x 2 Ch @ 2 Ohms, or thereabouts. it should then put out 200 W x 1 Ch @ 4 Ohms (so the 160 bridged you mentioned sounds right).

so, wiring the one sub you have to the bridged amp will drive the sub at 160 watts. it could handle 400 watts, so you could handle a better amp - one that puts out 400 W x 1 Ch @ 4 Ohms, or 100 W x 2 Ch @ 4 Ohms (an amp that does the second rating should do close to the first).

if you shop for a new amp, don't pay attention to peak powers (you seem to understand this already). they don't matter.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Systems
    edited April 2004
    here's the link for the sub specs, its the best one i could find cuss the sub is a few years old. http://www.emrkt.com/search/bot_index/static/is/is_AudiobahnAw1251.asp
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited April 2004
    one more important question, if i get a new amp will it make my sub louder than it already is with my DHD amp? it already hits as good as much more expensive systems.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited April 2004
    ya know... i think audiobahn must overrate the rms power handling of their subs cause i've seen many a drastically underpowered audiobahn sub get surprising volume... it was pretty sloppy sounding though but it was loud...
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    PBD has some bahns and hes putting 300 watts over their rated power...
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2004
    Audiobahns arent crappy by any means, I just wouldnt consider sound quality one of their specialties. They are meant for the guy who wants everybody to hear him coming blocks down the road and then look flashy once he arrives. Not very stealthy.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    yeah, they do have a very different look. adire could do with a little dip in that gene pool, they look retarded.

the audiobahns i've heard definately are loud. not clean, but some setups hit pretty damn hard. vin seems to be unhappy with his, though. i feel for him. bummer with the idmaxes.

mipnucsb - to answer your question, yes, a more powerful amp will push your sub harder and louder. you can't get too crazy, but that thing could probably take 500 WRMS and not throw a fit. you're driving it with less than half of what it's rated at, and a third of what it could take. this is assuming i've correctly deduced that you're feeding it 160 WRMS.

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    adire isnt that bad
    USAmps needs to change the styling on their amps
    they look like a walmart special
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    or the stuff hidden in the back of the shelf... that palm tree logo just kills me, the saving grace is that they leave it loose to 'aid in installation creativity' or somesuch.

• exalted512
    edited April 2004
    yeah, id rather show off my fosgates than those USAmps
    hopefully by the time i get em theyll have changed what they look like
    maybe theyll look something like the human reign series by sound stream
    thatd be EFFIN awesome
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    yeah, those are sweet. scary looking (hmm, dim red neons and that thing looking at you from in the trunk?), but sweet. and they have performance behind the looks too, which is just amazing. like a woman who's both athletic and gorgeous - an impossibly dangerous combination, i know, but that's the advantage of electronics, no?

wow, that came out sounding way dirtier than i had intended...

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2004
    Yeah, there arent a lot of really good looking amps out there. Rockford Fosgates Power series from last year way probably the best looking amps around. Polks new amps are pretty sharp too. Not bad **** looking but classy looking.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    i like trutech's look too, especially their TV2 and copper series. same thing - clean clear and under control (cody, i think this is a part of an advert too)

• exalted512
    edited April 2004
    yup, some deodorant commercial...
    -Cody
  • MTXMAN
    edited April 2004
    yeah, the trutech sledgehammer is just a f*%king beast... it's just daunting looking...

hell i don't give a damn what it looks like though you can always conceal it behind some cool fiberglass panels etc...

yeah i'm gonna leave the logo off of the tu-600 i'm getting... hopefully it'll be in tomorrow... us amps told the dealer that they might actually have on on the shelf so YAY!!!!
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    yeah, the sledge is just ridiculous. compare that beast to their class A amp, a mere 25 watts per channel. i want some.

mtxman - i'm jealous of the tube, i really am. thats freakin awesome.

• MTXMAN
    edited April 2004
    pooh... it didn't get in today... hopefully the ups guy will bring it to the shop tomorrow... if not i've got another weekend with my p.o.s. 50x2 orion pawnshop special...
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited April 2004
    Don't feel too bad MTX, I am running my crappy amp for my subs cause my 700 blew about 6 mo ago.... funny, it blew out right after I moved 7 states from my friend's shop who sold it to me.

But dont feel too bad I run maybe 200w total to my 2 DX12's, which can run 600wRMS EACH lol....
    -Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by MTXMAN
    pooh... it didn't get in today... hopefully the ups guy will bring it to the shop tomorrow... if not i've got another weekend with my p.o.s. 50x2 orion pawnshop special...
    have u tracked it?
    -Cody
  • MTXMAN
    edited April 2004
    no, i was just hopin it might be in by now since the us rep told the shop i ordered it from that they might have one on the shelf that they could send out... might not have still been there when they got to it thought...

since they normally don't build the amps till the order gets placed i was expecting the posibility of a 2 week wait anyway... just getting hopefull :p
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    yeah, i know the feeling of waiting for stuff to come in so you can install it...its like waiting for christmas when you were 5...lol
    -Cody
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    edited April 2004
    I wasn't aware that US built them on-demand. Sounds slow, but I guess it saves money somehow...
    -Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by LittleCar_w/12s
    I wasn't aware that US built them on-demand. Sounds slow, but I guess it saves money somehow...
    -Jerry
    well, since theyre hand made and they are a small company im sure theyre always backordered...but i dunno
    -Cody
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    edited April 2004
    Really? hand made? Do they have a spot in TX? I would like to try a job like that... actually get paid for the crap I put together.
    -Jerry

• MTXMAN
    edited April 2004
    no, their plant is in flordia, but yeah i definately like the fact that they're hand assembled... more craftmanship in the product and all that... i'd rather have someone put dedication into my amp than have them hit a button on a machine that stamps it all on....
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    yeah, thats pretty cool. they've got the window that lets you see the guts, but they're not that great looking. you can definately tell they're handmade (large glue gobs in places that a machine would put little dabs, big solder spots, stuff like that). not that that's bad.