New sizes

howie777
howie777 Posts: 357
edited June 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
I was talking to a guy at Circuit City who told me polk is going to start shipping the dB components in 5 1/4 again. This was due to all the new GM vehicles with 5 1/4 speakers that are now out or coming out soon.

Does anyone know if this is true and if so when these might be available? He also said Momo's are getting some work done on them. So new sizes for DB's and new momos.

I have a 98 Grand Prix and was wondering if it would be worth the wait for components over just the regular types that I can buy now. I am planning on just upgrading the speakers (possibly the wiring too as they look somewhat corroded) but that is all for now.

In the future I may be installing an amp, so I was wondering, will the momos sound bad without an amp or just not as good as they can be? Its a lot cheaper to buy them now, then get the DBs then later buy the momos + an amp. I hope that makes sense.

Thanks

Howie
Post edited by howie777 on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2004
    i havent heard anything like that
    they made momo 5.25s
    mm455 i believe is the model number
    might want to look into those
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2004
    well, the original reason for not producing top-end momo 5-1/4 components is that the 6-1/2 were outselling them 5:1. uh, amps - a speaker will be louder and cleaner at those high volumes with an amp, but it's not like you'll break it running it without an amp - naturally, this assumes you don't turn the hu all the way up (it may clip, which is bad).
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • howie777
    edited April 2004
    Just an FYI. I talked to the guy at Circuit City again today. He told me they are re-introducing the DB component but not the Momos as most people who buy the Momos do custom installs and want the 6.5 not the 5.25. The DB component 5.25 should be shipping soon and this is due to GM's now coming in 5.25 for most models so demand is expected to rise.

I just decided to go with the DB line and ended up with the coaxial 5.25 which I can upgrade to the component later if I want to. I think I'll be happy with this, and if I want I have 2 years to upgrade if I want to.

Thanks for the responses.

Howie
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited April 2004
    About running the Momo's w/ no Amp...

I've been doing that on an Alpine 9815 for about a month now. I'm on the verge of getting an amp for the MM6's but just waiting for enough money. :( Anyway, if you're not amping the momos, don't expect a whole lot of volume out of them. As far as midbass, they are seriously lacking, but the sound quality is excellent. HU's just can't put out even near enough power to make them sound like they are capable of sounding. If you're not planning on amping them, I'd recommend NOT getting momos. On the other hand, if you are getting the speakers first and planning on getting an amp later or at the same time, they sound absolutely great! My $.02

-Austin
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited April 2004
    I had my mm6's running off of my 5yr old pioneer DEHP-2000 which is a 45x4 deck and they actually sounded good with pretty good bass response, then i upgraded to a 50x2 older orion that i got for 50 bucks at a pawn shop and they sounded better with much more low end (they still sounded pretty good before though, could still feel the bass) and later this week i'm getting the US Amps TU-600 for just under 500 for 150x2 of tube power, i'm taking a roll of paper towels with me when i hook it up because i'm expecting that i'm going to cream myself when i hear those components running off of that amp. basically you're going to get the kind of performance from them that you're willing to put into them.
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by MTXMAN
    i'm taking a roll of paper towels with me when i hook it up because i'm expecting that i'm going to cream myself when i hear those components running off of that amp

:D ROFLMAO!!! Holy shite! Between you and Cody Im laughing my **** off!!! LOLOL! :D
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    ive read a lot of reviews about the momos "lacking midbass"
    i have to disagree
    they have just as much midbass as any other mid out there
    ppl fail to realize that this IS a 6.5" speaker
    they have fantastic midbass for what they are, a 6.5" speaker
    hell, they have so much excursion i just busted one of the effin leads off the damn thing
    -Cody
  • MTXMAN
    edited April 2004
    yeah... i can feel the bass and midbass from mine.... and that's at 1/3 rms power...
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • howie777
    edited April 2004
    Well I ended up with DB 5.25 up front and 6x9s in the back. I have 2 issues

1) I have a 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. I am using a Pioneer head unit from about 3.5 years ago. I have no issues with the 5.25s but the 6x9s I need to turn way up to hear and it is only the low frequency. I found a Delco amplifier under the glove box but I am a bit confused. If I understand this correctly, my rear output of the pioneer (which is amplifed not line level which I would think it should be) is being feed into this delco amplifer and then to my rears. I believe I need to bypass the Delco amp. If I unplug it I get my fronts but no rear audio. How do I find out the pin out of the connector on this amplifer so I can just bypass it. I am assuming the rear outs are sent to the delco amp, which contains a crossover and sends them to the rear. The original set up is 6x9s and 4" in the back, 5.25 components up front, hence the crossover network in the delco amp.

2) My new 6x9s when I turn the volume way up (fader set to all rear to avoid damaging my fronts) I get rattling from my trunk. Turns out it is my rear brake light fixture. What can I use to stop this? Is there some kind of foam?

Thanks,

Howie

P.S. I had a blast installing those speakers. Makes me want to get a couple amps, a sub or two and upgrade to momos! This is why I waited so long to upgrade my car, I already have the bug for HT and did not need it for my car audio as well!
  • AustinKP
    edited April 2004
    Oh, I didn't mean to say that the MM6's have no midbass. I firmly believe that the people who say that are underpowering them. I can feel that they want to kick, but they are so badly underpowered just by my HU, they distort a lot. I very much do not want to ruin my speakers, so for now, I have the Xover at 125Hz. For drums and stuff at 80-125 Hz, they kick pretty well if I have my xover a little lower. That's only w/ 27W RMS. I just can't wait to hear them when I throw 120-200 W at them!

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • MTXMAN
    edited April 2004
    well the solution for the 6x9's all depends on wether or not you're planning on amping them and how soon... often the harnesses to bypass the factory amps can get expensive, i've seen them go up to 50 dollars(which if i remember right from my install days that's about the right cost for that infinity system that came with your car). personally what i'd do if i were going to run them off the hu for a while is run a higher guage speaker wire (i'd use at least 14 but my preferance would be 12) back to the 6x9's from the hu... also if you leave yourself a little slack in the lines you can slightly reroute that wire to run the mm6's when you amp all the speakers (presuming that you're going to amp the rears) the other solution is that you may very well have an excuse to go ahead and amp the rears... i'd look at hifonic, us amps or zapco for something with realy good power w/o an assload of green... us amps is gonna be the more costly route but imho the better of the three (but i'm a little biased considering my recent purchase...) heck you could always go with their 4ch tube amp, 75x4 but it's insanely clean and dude... it's a tube... so that 75w will probably produce a whole lot of cleaner sound than 75w from a solid state amp...

just my 2 cents
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited April 2004
    New Momo components will be available soon (mid- May?), with 5- 1/4" and 6- 1/2" sets available. The MMC5250 and MMC6500 sets have mids that are based on the MMC525 and MMC650 mids. This 6- 1/2" won't be as impossible to fit in cars as the MM6.
  • AustinKP
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by Thom
    This 6- 1/2" won't be as impossible to fit in cars as the MM6.
    Yeah, but where's the fun in that? You're going to make it too easy :)

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by AustinKP
    Yeah, but where's the fun in that?
    you took the words right out of my mouth
    -Cody
  • AustinKP
    edited April 2004
    :D

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,360
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by Thom
    New Momo components will be available soon (mid- May?), with 5- 1/4" and 6- 1/2" sets available. The MMC5250 and MMC6500 sets have mids that are based on the MMC525 and MMC650 mids. This 6- 1/2" won't be as impossible to fit in cars as the MM6.

Dang it! I bought MB Quarts 'cause Polk didn't have 5 1/4 components in Momo or DB. The Quarts are nice, very detailed but slightly harsh on the highs.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited June 2004
    We also have db 5.25" components now (I forgot to mention above).