Whole album or pick and choose?

afterburnt
afterburnt Posts: 7,892
edited April 2018 in Music & Movies
Just wondering what is most popular. I never pick individual cuts although I am tempted to skip Noel Readings contributions in Hendrixs albums. Other than that I find it quite satisfying to listen to all of my albums in their entirety. Note: I recently acquired "John Mcglaughlin live at Ronnie Scott's" and there is this dude scatting like Starving Marvin that makes me want to skip the whole album.

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    The worst thing about "modern" (starting with CD :p ) random-access recorded music formats is the ability to pick and choose.

1) I have fallen prey to it to the extent that I own quite a few albums that I've never listened to in their entirety (or is that "entireties"?).

2) I am under the impression that numerous "modern" (e.g., last 20 years or so) albums were constructed to allow for point 1) above, consisting of more filler than were earlier albums from the days that easy random access play was more difficult.

:(

• MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    ^^ Agreed ^^ I think there is definitely an impression that many modern albums do not have the same care and attention to all songs as some of the older fare, though, I will say, there are many modern(ish) albums that are also flawless as well IMO. Maybe just not as many as there used to be!

It is one of the things I enjoy about vinyl, (besides the inconvenience, and the expense as the joke goes), you are more obligated to listen to the whole thing, instead of pick and choose.

All that being said, I have 2000+ songs on a micro SD card in my phone that I play just as frequently as CD's and LP's combined wirelessly to my rig, hey, easy is easy.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    I have always been a pick and chooser or a greatest hits person. I have bought albums for one song, and consider myself lucky if I manage to find a second song on it that I like. All the other songs either sound very similar to the one song I like, or it's just undesirable filler that I spent a lot of money on to just end up with one song.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Whole album.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,307
    cfrizz wrote: »
    I have always been a pick and chooser or a greatest hits person. I have bought albums for one song, and consider myself lucky if I manage to find a second song on it that I like. All the other songs either sound very similar to the one song I like, or it's just undesirable filler that I spent a lot of money on to just end up with one song.

Agreed - With everything on a FLAC drive, why listen to stuff you really don’t like? I am a big fan of 70’s rock, and it’s rare to find an album I like front to back.even the classics like DSOTM and Gaucho have some so-so songs...
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    I played the whole album.
  • afterburnt
    I used to do the "Afternoon Delight" it wasn't nearly as nice as the song.
  • recoveryone
    recoveryone Posts: 885
    The one hit wonders are the hardest to deal with, I just had this conversation at work. During my youth, when I had a little job, I would spend $100 at the record store to only have a few songs I really liked. The 12" version of club mixes helped cut down on cost, but this has been an issues for decades. Only a few artist put out complete albums ( mainly pop artist) Jazz artist have been the exception to this issue.
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176

Or of, ahem, duration? :smiley:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • afterburnt
    Evelyn Woodhead graduate.
  • verb
    edited April 2018
    Evelyn Woodhead graduate.
    Took me a bit, but LOL! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    verb wrote: »

Or of, ahem, duration? :smiley:

Oooh, look at Mr. Stamina here comparing his duration to several minute long songs. Quit yer bragging.
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • verb
    LOL! Styx Grand Illusion baby! Both sides! :smiley:
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,640
    Who knew Ram Jam had a Best Of? Anybody name another song besides "Black Betty"?

bs40b2ekc7zc.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited April 2018
    maybe that's it? Greatest Hits pressed on a one-sided 7" 45 maybe? The other side blank, for setting anti-skating.

:|
  • afterburnt
    Who knew Ram Jam had a Best Of? Anybody name another song besides "Black Betty"?

bs40b2ekc7zc.jpg

Yeah this:

https://youtu.be/mOYZaiDZ7BM
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 737
    With vinyl, it's alway full album, both sides. Pretty much the same with CD.
    ALAC files are played somewhat randomly, and usually bounce around via Apple's Remote app
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Don't mess with "Epic Beard Guy" or you'll wind up in a Ram Jam video unable to say the word "ambulance". :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDD9FmdmUN4
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    whole album's

there are so many that are worth listening too all the way thru.
    like Gordon Lightfoots sundown LP (not 1 bad song)
    or dire straits 1st LP and brothers in arm or most Super-tramps LP's or Moon-dance by Van Morrison or the Door 1st LP and LA women. or the list goes on!

Also jethro tull " Thick as a Brick" If your not listen to the whole LP then why in the world did you buy it to begin with?????????????????
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    ^^^ That....was this: :'(
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited April 2018
    ^^^That ...was "Lost in Translation"

I thought it was Funny B)

Ever listen to Thick asa Brick? its one song like Arlo Guthrie's Alice's Restaurant.

I guess that is why I am bald on top...everything keeps going over my head!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    I have discovered more good music that never really got air play by getting entire albums. I recently got Spotify but even there I like to listen to entire albums.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,309
    With digital, I like the flexibility.
    With records, I try to buy only the ones that lend themselves to full play.

Note re: DSOTM - I ALWAYS skip "Time", or at least the intro. Too alarming. Upsets the mood for me. I had it in rotation in my Sony 5-disc carousel in high school and used to program a playlist going to sleep sometimes. You only forget to skip "Time" once or twice.
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,309
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Don't mess with "Epic Beard Guy" or you'll wind up in a Ram Jam video unable to say the word "ambulance".
    And *that's* why you never mess with good natured people with their t-shirts tucked into stretch waist shorts, wearing their hip packs around front. [smh] I've seen it go wrong a million times.

Side note: every time I hear Black Betty, I'm always reminded of this scene from "Blow". First time I heard that song. It's perfect for struttin' through an airport carrying two giant suitcases full of ladies underwe, I mean, Colombia's Finest Coffee.
    038rkeygaaao.gif
    I disabled signatures.
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    Back in the day..it was easy to listen as the albums were engineered for one track to lead you into the next,then the next,and so on till the conclusion..Nowadays it is very rare to find recordings that are offered with "100% beat..no filler"...I think that has to do more with marketing than actual talent...