Yamaha A-S801

Options
rburgess714
rburgess714 Posts: 616
edited April 2018 in 2 Channel Audio
Considering Yamaha A-S801 integrated or similar with digital inputs and built in dac. I like Yamaha and this seems to get good reviews.
Living Room
Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Oppo 103D, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, KLH Model 5s, Polk CSi A6, Samsung 65" LED

Office
Yamaha A-S501, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables

Comments

• Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 748
    Options
    I have an almost new A-S501 I'm getting ready to list. Mine has the bluetooth attachment (YP-11 I think) for streaming.
    Very nice sounding integrated, as I'm sure the 801 is as well.
    2 Channel "Polk" Room:

Marantz PM8004 Integrated
    Marantz SA8004 SACD Player
    Music Hall mmf 7.3 TT with Ortofon Bronze
    WiiM Mini
    Schiit Bifrost with Multibit Upgrade
    Polk 7B with RDO198s
  • rburgess714
    Options
    Jaybeez wrote: »
    I have an almost new A-S501 I'm getting ready to list. Mine has the bluetooth attachment (YP-11 I think) for streaming.

If I recall you have some 703s as well. How did they pair?
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Oppo 103D, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, KLH Model 5s, Polk CSi A6, Samsung 65" LED

Office

• rburgess714
    Options
    Considering Yamaha A-S801 integrated or similar with digital inputs and built in dac. I like Yamaha and this seems to get good reviews.

To add to this, suggestions or recommendations.

Living Room

Office

• jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    Options
    I have had the A-S801 paired to LSiM 705s for almost a year, maybe. I absolutely love it. This is the fourth amp I have had on the 705s and by far my favorite. I primarily use the USB input connected to a dedicated PC and JRiver but also the phono when I feel up to it. The DAC is really good, it is better than the Musical Fidelity V-90 DAC I had to compare it to anyway. The amp just doesn’t do anything wrong and sounds great with everything in my library. Other Amps I’ve had prior was great on some music/sources and not so much with others. The 801 just gets it right and I’m not spending anytime swapping ICs trying to tune it to my liking for a spell. Just power up and enjoy. For $900 it’s a real treat and it is about a third of the price I spent on the equipment it replaced. I don’t know what you’re pairing it with but in my setup it’s a real pleasure to listen to and I have no intention of upgrading anytime soon.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 748
    Options
    Jaybeez wrote: »

If I recall you have some 703s as well. How did they pair?

I actually was in a different integrated when the 703s arrived, so never hooked them up. I did run my Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s for quite some time with the s501 and it sounded terrific.
    2 Channel "Polk" Room:

Marantz PM8004 Integrated
    Marantz SA8004 SACD Player
    Music Hall mmf 7.3 TT with Ortofon Bronze
    WiiM Mini
    Schiit Bifrost with Multibit Upgrade
    Polk 7B with RDO198s
  • rburgess714
    Options
    I have had the A-S801 paired to LSiM 705s for almost a year, maybe. I absolutely love it. This is the fourth amp I have had on the 705s and by far my favorite. I primarily use the USB input connected to a dedicated PC and JRiver but also the phono when I feel up to it. The DAC is really good, it is better than the Musical Fidelity V-90 DAC I had to compare it to anyway. The amp just doesn’t do anything wrong and sounds great with everything in my library. Other Amps I’ve had prior was great on some music/sources and not so much with others. The 801 just gets it right and I’m not spending anytime swapping ICs trying to tune it to my liking for a spell. Just power up and enjoy. For $900 it’s a real treat and it is about a third of the price I spent on the equipment it replaced. I don’t know what you’re pairing it with but in my setup it’s a real pleasure to listen to and I have no intention of upgrading anytime soon.

Thanks for the feedback. I like the idea of a rig that sounds good for all types of music.
    Living Room

Office