Peerless smooth face vs textured face?

Options
So I picked up this pair of 10A’s this week from the original owner for under $100. Serial numbers are three digits apart. Pretty pleased with them. They appear to have two different Peerless tweeters in them though. You can kind of see it in the photo, but the one on the left has a smooth face and the one on the right is textured - almost like it was powdercoated. The smooth faced driver seems to have a little more sizzle and detail. Also I notice that the fuses are not matched. I speculate that one of the original tweets was blown and replaced at some point. I seem to remember reading somewhere here that there is a difference between the smooth and textured faces but I can’t find it... Enlighten me oh ye wise ones?
ywnnxe8y9kvc.jpeg
Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,787
    Options
    If one fuse is of higher value then that tweeter will be duller.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Possibly the MCM copy?
  • JayMX
    JayMX Posts: 435
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

Didn’t think of that. I will find a matched set.
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Possibly the MCM copy?

Any idea if the MCM had any telltale markings?
    Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    I've never had one in my hands, sry.
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Options
    Did you pull them out to see if there are any labels on the back of them? What size fuses are in them?
  • JayMX
    Options
    So one fuse was 8A and the other was 2A... Now have matching 2A fast blows loaded. I think the smooth face is a replacement as it was in the cabinet with the 8A fuse. They are definitely different though. Smooth face just has a couple of numbers on the back. Textured says made in USA and has more numbers.
    1wfx1ontfyrs.jpeg
    9ol6cjcdswfh.jpeg
    hjclbmbv2wif.jpeg
  • F1nut
    Options
    The smooth face is the original Peerless, the other is a replacement.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Options
    JayMX wrote: »
    So one fuse was 8A and the other was 2A... Now have matching 2A fast blows loaded.
    1wfx1ontfyrs.jpeg

Those are both high. You are supposed to use a 1 amp fast blow.

• F1nut
    Options
    ^ Good catch ^

President of Club Polk

• JayMX
    Options
    But 2A should make it louder, right!?! ;)
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Options
    JayMX wrote: »
    But 2A should make it louder, right!?! ;)

Yes it would be louder........till you start seeing smoke. Not sure what the previous owner was thinking with an 8 amp fuse. I guess they all look the same?

A lot of people disable the polyswiches on the newer models with a jumper or resistor. So if you are careful / sane you really don't need the fuses. But I still use mine for a little extra insurance.
  • JayMX
    Options
    @delkal - I was kidding haha, ever since inadvertently I toasted a RDO 194, I am verrrrry careful. On the original topic, it’s interesting that the smooth face tweeter sounds just a bit better/clearer. I may update the crossovers before trying to find another smooth face. But all in all they’re great speakers. Thanks everyone for the insights.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    Options

Why would a higher value fuse be duller?
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    Options
    machone wrote: »

Why would a higher value fuse be duller?

Higher resistance is my guess
  • F1nut
    Options
    Right, the higher the value, the greater the resistance.

President of Club Polk