Easy but sweet box idea

exalted512
exalted512 Posts: 10,735
edited May 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
I was watching "Pimp My Ride" today on MTV
saw something that might look cool if any of you planning on building a box
well they were fixing up an old ford ranger for a kid and they showed how they put designs to come out in the seats
to clarify, they had flames in the cushioning they came out a little bit
i was thinking that this would be pretty sweet for a sub box too
what you would do is cut out a simple design in like poster board
in the case of the ford, they cut out flames
what i was thinking about for the box im building later this year is the design of the adire brahmas im going to get
or if thats too elaborate(small, close together designs probably wont show up too well) i was thinking about cutting out the GMC letters
if you have a chevy you could get a bowtie, dodge could get a Ram, or even more elaborate would be a ford emblem
buy anyway, after you get your design cut out you get something very thin
im not exactly sure what they used on the show, had to be foam or something
i would probably get some REALLY thin wood
trace the design on the wood and cut it out
after you have your box assembled, glue the wood cut out to your box
the ford emblem would be cool b/c you could cut out the oval, then cut out the letters seperate, glue the letters on the oval, then oval on the box
so it would be 3 layers instead of two
after youre done, get your carpet of choice, and glue it VERY carefully over the emblem, starting from the middle working your way out
make sure you get something with a flat edge and press the carpet to the crevices of all the corners of the design
glue it to the rest of your box and voila
now some of you are probably thinking
"Yeah, no **** idiot, any moron could have thought of this"
to all those ppl...f*** off, i wouldnt have thought of it...lol
anyway
i thought id like to share, itd give anyones box a very custom look for next to nothing and very simple to do
-Cody
Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
Post edited by exalted512 on

Comments

• MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited April 2004
    cool idea, i'll have to think about doing that... maybe a big TDX since i'm going with diamond audio TDX's...
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • mbdyer12
    mbdyer12 Posts: 220
    edited April 2004
    I just watched that episode this morning. That was pretty cool how they did that. And yeah, it was foam that they used. I dont think I'd have thought that up for a sub box myself. Thanks for bringing up the idea :D:D
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2004
    hmm.. crutchfield has this article, which describes on page 3 something that sounds similar. thought id throw that out.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by neomagus00
    hmm.. crutchfield has this article, which describes on page 3 something that sounds similar. thought id throw that out.
    my editorial is better
    :D
    -Cody
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited April 2004
    I saw that same thing online, (I think), where someone had a mustang, and they did they actually did the whole pony. I can't remember where they put it though. Think it was on the floor in the trunk. Looked pretty awesome though.
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    yeah, my next box is going to made out of 3/4" MDF with plain black carpet, just to fit under my backseat with my new subs
    when i get my next truck im thinking about doing it in vinyl, on 3/4" maple birch--i think that would look pretty sweet and designs would probably show up better, so you can get more intricate
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2004
    I always thought it would look cool to build a plain old box and rather than carpeting it get some of those floor paneling sheets from Lowes that come in 12"x12" sheets. They are flexible and have adhesive on the back. The ones I was thinking of look like marble and actually look pretty cool. Maybe its a little corny but for my lack of artistic vision I thought it would look nifty to raise my rear seat and there is a marble cube with a sub sticking out of it.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    or you could get like holographic wrapping paper...thatd be sweet!
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    or a mirrored surface, either smooth or broken...

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    or...
    ****...im all out of stupid ideas for once...
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by exalted512
    or...
    ****...im all out of stupid ideas for once...
    -Cody
    finally... :D

or covered in fur
    or candy (i'm eating the remains of a gingerbread house from easter, i have an excuse)

• exalted512
    edited April 2004
    fur!
    thatd be sweet!
    a ginger bread house sub box...
    for some reason that reminds of the blue collar comedy tour
    talking about crotchless panties
    "Hey you want some of this?"
    "No, look what it did to your britches"
    i need that dvd...
    -Cody
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited April 2004
    i love that DVD...

hehehe, the beaver bit off his nipple...

i had a friend with a sub box made out of counter top material that looked pretty cool, heavy as hell though...
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited April 2004
    A friend I have in Maryland has been doing box designs for a while now. They are really sweet looking. If you are anywhere near Rising Sun, MD stop by FinishLine Audio and see Len shuflet or his wife. They have really neat designs last I saw, but that was about 4 months ago (last time I was in MD hehe).
    Anywho.. I am pretty sure he uses luan board and sands the edges a little to make the carpet adhere. Good board and it's about 1/8" or less thick and easy to work with. Relatively cheap, and glue adheres well to it for carpeting.

--Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited April 2004
    lets cover a box in porcupine skin...hehe...new anti-theft device?:p
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by TrappedUnder Ice
    hehe...

or make an ant farm around it (kinda drawing off the fishman here) that's filled with fire ants. so, if anyone tries to break it, the fire ants flip out and sting him.

or you could just bolt the box down, come to think of it.

jerry - he uses 1/8" wood????

• exalted512
    edited April 2004
    or we could cover it in tiger skin, park in a forest that ways its camoflauged...
    -Cody
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    edited April 2004
    Neo: ( 1/8"...)
    Yes, or less but it depends on how much the design needs to stand out. the real key is that the wood clutches the adhesive for the carpet better than foam, so the design can be tighter. Try 1/16" fi you'd like, but you may have to get that in a balsamwood sheet from a craft store.
    -Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    okay, i get it now. i thought he was making sub boxes out of 1/8 inch wood, not the designs on them. i was muy confusedo. i'm good now.

• swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited April 2004
    i know a guy who stuck about 90 razor blades in the back of his box for anti-theft... he did put a sharp objects sign in his trunk though.

this was after the police ripped apart his trunk looking for whatever they could find to take him away.
    cats.vans.bag...
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by swerve
    ... 90 razor blades in the back of his box ...

Inside?? I guess he planned on someone looking inside the box...

-jerry

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited April 2004
    lol no.... he put them on the back of the box with the blades pointing out... so if you reached around you will get a pleasant surprise. I don't know exactly how he mounted them though
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • pHilLyBluNt
    pHilLyBluNt Posts: 13
    edited May 2004
    Thats hilarious, poor Po Po though, gettin a nice little surprise as he reaches his hand back there