Installations(price ranges)

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited April 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
If i go to a Local Car Shop and have them install my parts, what ya think a moterate price range should be? I dont feel like getting ripped of. The parts i will have them install will be 2-MM124 subwoofers, 2-C300.2 Amps and a Head Unit. Also how much would a moderate price range be for a dual 12" subwoofer sealed box be? Because i am still in need of a box.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2004
    the box - with a little woodworking experience (very little), some free time, and a few basic tools, you can build your own for a fraction of the cost. that is, unless you want them to fiberglas it or whatever to your car specifically.

i dunno how much any of the rest would cost, but building your own box cuts out the box-building cost and the box/sub installation cost (cause you can bolt it to the trunk yourself).
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited April 2004
    just call them and ask for a price quote, easiest way to find out, could be anywhere from 40 to 150 depending on how they charge
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • mbdyer12
    mbdyer12 Posts: 220
    edited April 2004
    From what I've seen, its usually 20 per location. For example: Head unit / Front speakers / Rear speakers / Amp installation / etc. I ends up being a few bucks less but the $20/location ends up covering for wiring if you install a full system. Thats just from quotes I've seen people give my friends before they come to me to pay me $20 + a western six dollar burger combo to install it for them :D

Boxes usually go for $20/sub. 1 sub = $20, dual subs = $40. Thats also just another thing I've picked up. Building boxes is more fun and satisfying though.
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited April 2004
    you're looking at $300 to have a subwoofer box hand built -- or $125 to buy a pre-made Q logic one.

- about $65 to install the headunit

- another $45 for front speakers + $45 for rear speakers.

- $85 for the first amplifier, maybe only 45 for the second amp.

that's average prices...

you should just do it yourself. its easy.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    i'd have to disagree with the easy part, at least for my car. it is nearly impossible to get paneling and the like off in my vehicle, so the cost:benefit ratio was low enough that i just let a shop do it. it took them about 25-30 man-hours to install mm6s and the amp, all in stock locations, nothin crazy. maybe it's much easier in most cars though; i just mentioned this because the parts that are easily removed in my car are often broken in the process (one-way clips and the like). the way i did it, the shop paid for all the replacement attatchment parts.

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by neomagus00
    it took them about 25-30 man-hours to install mm6s and the amp, all in stock locations
    damn dude, do you have to drop the engine to get to the speakers?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by exalted512
    damn dude, do you have to drop the engine to get to the speakers?
    -Cody

:D ROFLMAO!!! LOL!! :D
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    yeah, pretty much... every panel in the interior was gone, the rear bench was gone, the seats were unbolted... this was just to get at a hidden wiring location. then there was the non-standard door wiring that needed redone, the mangled wiring from my first installer, and the car's computers to worry about on top of it all. the thing looked like it was in the middle of being manufactured - all the crap they took out used another whole car bay in the garage. crazy stuff.

and i went back and tried to trace their lines to make sure they didn't just do this for fun, and it was seriously the only way to do it right...

• exalted512
    edited April 2004
    that sucks
    my truck has had everything taken out at least twice
    carpet, seats, every panel but the dash was out, even one of the panels on the dash was pulled to get the radio out
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    yeah, but you actually have a system; kinda hurts to see your baby all torn apart like that though :(... at least it did for me

i thought you did your own installs?

• exalted512
    edited April 2004
    i do my own installs yes, but ive taken all that stuff out
    actually now that i think of it
    carpet and seats have been pulled out 3 times
    drivers seat has been pulled out one more time to install xm
    door panels have been taken off about 4 times
    rear panels, id say 4 times
    rear bench...no idea...its been taken out at least 15 times...i dont even bolt it in...it doesnt move at all though...in fact i took it out today to get my blown amp out
    the only thing ive had a shop do was install my mm6 comps
    i didnt want to drill the hole for my tweeters
    wanted it done with ppl that had the right tools
    plus i think they did an little work to get the mid drivers to fit as well
    i screwed in the amp and they wired it up
    looking back, i shouldve done it...wouldve saved me a good amount of money but oo well...saved me a lot of time
    everything else has been compeletly installed by me
    i had the box made for me but it was cheap!
    120 bucks for custom built to .88 ft and custom to fit under my rear seat
    that really was a smokin deal
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    man, my shop wants like 200+ to do a twin-ten box. that's cool that you put all that time into your truck - most people i know would have just said 'screw it' and thrown everything in there. but the pics you have prove you actually care... props for that...

i did manage to get my end of the bargain with the shop though... i had them prewire for subs, with a distro block and a premade place for sub wiring. so i can at least do that myself.

• exalted512
    edited April 2004
    yeah, ive spent MANY hours in that truck
    sad thing is, it wont even be finished with my audio stuff b4 i sell it
    lol
    good thing is, theres no way im going to take out all the **** so many different times for my new truck
    rear panels will be taken off once to put second skin on em
    seats will be taken out a maximum of twice
    carpet-twice max
    front doors...2 or 3 times
    but the clips on the front doors dont break, or at least i havent broken one yet...
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    man... each of the 6 clips that hold the trim panels under the doors broke, and, just because they were saab, they were like 4 bucks apiece. almost $50 bucks for a dozen freaking plastic clips. the guy who sold me these also told me that crap about grinding rotors. ****.

if you're not going to be done installing b4 u sell the truck, why not just stop now and wait till you get a new one?

• exalted512
    edited April 2004
    well all the audio is 100% transferrable
    except for like sound deadening stuff
    which is why i dont have any
    -Cody
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by mbdyer12
    Thats just from quotes I've seen people give my friends before they come to me to pay me $20 + a western six dollar burger combo to install it for them :D
    WHERE DO YOU LIVE??? Anyone in UT want to help me wire a couple amps?
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2