Marantz NA6005 Opinions?

Hello Collective,

I was looking at one box for listening wireless from the computer/router (Spotify, etc...), and also from Android and Apple (IPad & possibly IPhone) products. I would also like the old FM/AM as well which I why this Marantz piece seems to fit the bill.

Does anyone here have one and how well does it work? Critical listening is not the goal here as it would be mainly used for background/easy listening. However, I don't want it to sound like total crap either. It would be going through the main rig. I have read some mixed reviews but one concern seems to be problems with the wireless not working so well. Our house is not big (ranch) so I would think it wouldn't be a problem.

As a side note I still don't think much of this whole internet/digital/wireless since I don't understand most of it but am willing to learn for my wife's sake. This would be mainly for her since she has music on her devices and besides the dumb little bluetooth speaker she has we don't have anything else to "link" them to. Heck, for now, I still have a flip phone and it doesn't even have a camera, ha!

Anyway, if anyone here could give me their thoughts/experiences on this Marantz I would greatly appreciate it. This seems to be the only one I can find which fits the bill (yes, FM/AM is a need)...
Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me

Comments

• smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    Ok..., so there isn't much to say on this and from reading many of the on-line reviews there's a 50/50 chance it'll work like garbage. Not a chance I want to take considering the price.

So..., next up, I suppose, is to get a separate FM/AM tuner and a wireless streamer for audio. As far as the tuner goes I get sick of looking at them on fleabay and such since everyone thinks they're gold (and priced accordingly). Guess I'll have to wait for one to pop up locally that's cheap.

As far as a streamer what would you, that are in the "know", recommend that won't cost tons? I "might" use it in the future (distant) but for now it would be for my wife mainly. Currently I don't "rip" any CD's but that could change, someday...
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    I have two very different streamers currently, both using Roon (which I highly recommend) as the server.

The bryston BDP-1 is thanks to the generosity of @BlueFox and is an amazing piece of gear. I really didn't think a digital streamer with no internal DAC could sound significantly better than another, but this sucker just sounds incredible. Black background, great instrument separation, tight bass, pretty analytical sounding but not so much as to ruin the music. But is very costly if you don't win the polk karma lottery...

The living room has a mini PC that I got off ebay (including SSD and ramm) for about $100. I have Roon bridge loaded on it, running USB out to the Arcam rDAC. It can't touch the SQ of the Bryston, but it's really convenient, you can get TiDAL MQA through it, as well as use spotify connect, and of course Roon to integrate TiDAL with your own personal library (which is mainly what I do). That would be my suggested as a starting off point...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    edited March 2018
    For casual listening, I'd get an inexpensive USB DAC (under $100, check Massdrop), and a thin client PC running Daphile. From Daphile, you can add streaming AM/FM channels, integrate Itunes library, run Spotify and others. Daphile runs headless and is controlled by a web browser (phone/tablet/etc).

Thin clients can be had used off Ebay for under $50 all day, every day. Just try to find one that has a recent CPU (AMD G/GX series) with at least 8GB Flash (SSD) and 2GB RAM. That is more than enough for a music streamer. I just snagged a two year old quad-core HP thin client (16GB Flash/4GB RAM) for $30 shipped. Dell/WYSE and HP are the two most common brands. If you need help, I can point you to some auctions (no affiliation).
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    edited March 2018
    I have a marantz na6005 and like it a lot. The Marantz app is not great, but for am/fm and thousands of internet stations it’s fine. I stream from Spotify, plex, and JRiver and it sounds great for those. It supports both wireless and wired, while my marantz na8005 does not support wireless.

I also use a google chromecast Audio that I connect to it via optical and occasionally stream YouTube through it.
  • smglbrth
    Thanks for the suggestions gents! I'll freely admit that some of the mentioned ideas I will have to research as it's Greek to me. I don't want anything right next to the audio in the living room as all the computer stuff is in a separate part of the house.

Thanks also for your opinion of the Marantz Dave. Many of the on-line reviews were pretty negative, especially on the wireless aspect. I did read where one person always kept his in stand-by mode since if he turned the power completely off he had to reset the settings in order for it to work again. Like I said in the beginning that's why I liked the features of the Marantz, an all in one box that I wouldn't have to think a whole lot about. Plus it would be better for keeping the real estate clean...
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    billbillw wrote: »
    For casual listening, I'd get an inexpensive USB DAC (under $100, check Massdrop), and a thin client PC running Daphile. From Daphile, you can add streaming AM/FM channels, integrate Itunes library, run Spotify and others. Daphile runs headless and is controlled by a web browser (phone/tablet/etc).

Thin clients can be had used off Ebay for under $50 all day, every day. Just try to find one that has a recent CPU (AMD G/GX series) with at least 8GB Flash (SSD) and 2GB RAM. That is more than enough for a music streamer. I just snagged a two year old quad-core HP thin client (16GB Flash/4GB RAM) for $30 shipped. Dell/WYSE and HP are the two most common brands. If you need help, I can point you to some auctions (no affiliation).

Hey bill have u compared Daphile to roon? Can Daphile run tidal?

Sorry to thread jack!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Hey bill have u compared Daphile to roon? Can Daphile run tidal?

Sorry to thread jack!

Roon or Rune? Roon cost $ so I haven't compared. Rune is for ARM only, so it doesn't work with the x86/64 hardware that I'm using.

There is a Tidal app for Daphile but I haven't used it, since again, Tidal cost $. I use the free streaming services occasionally, but mostly play my local files.

I've heard good things about Roon, but I don't think it actually sounds any better. It may do a better job of giving liner note, band info. etc,. To me that's fluff. I can look it up on my phone if I'm interested. Daphile organizes my complete library, it is easy to search, and it plays every format I've thrown at it including DSD files.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
    So I am shuffling around streamers in the house and trying to find if the NA6005 can handle Tidal via wired network connection from our router....couldn't find anything online. Anyone know?
  • smglbrth
    I never did purchase anything yet, sorry, can't help ya...